Tony Khan Buys ROH

WyattSheepMask

You skipped the long-awaited favour to Saraya and the brother. Zak decided to start with the intensity of Goldberg, a weird interlude of awkward looking UK catch style, and ending with a punch that comes with the loudest thigh slap and is my biggest bugbear with wrestling today. He won!? So this is inexplicably the start of something.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Peter Avalon loses to everyone in fairness, so hoping it was a one off thing for Zak Knight. 

ROH 04/01/24: 

Just an abysmal line up for ROH this week and, criminally, NO ATHENA. No match, no promo, no skits. You test me with this Mr. Khan, you really do. 

Skipped, well, most of it... Griff Garrison vs Serpentico. Griff Garrison and Cole Karter feuding with the Spanish Announce Project has to be one of the least appealing feuds I've ever seen presented on a Wrestling show. Lance Archer vs Jobber, Queen Aminata vs Jobber, Red Velvet vs Jobber. The Infantry vs The Boys vs Shane Taylor Promotions. I even skipped the main event Komander/Vikingo/Lee Johnson vs Workhorsemen/Gringo Loco. I'm sure it was a fun spotfest but it feels like last week's main event, only slightly worse. I don't want to get burned out on these types of matches as I love them in the right doses. 

Diamante/Martinez vs Leyla Hirsch/Rachel Ellering was OK. I like this Diamante/Martinez team. Hirsch was an effective underdog, still not seeing it with Rachel Ellering. Bland look, bland promo, unspectacular in ring, not especially appealing as a babyface. 

Anyway, the good bits:

Ethan Page and Scorpio Sky with a wholesome besties promo. 2024 is the year of the Men of the Year. Ethan Page is also on my list of reasons to watch ROH at the moment. Though, like Athena and Dalton, I mostly just wish he was on the real shows instead. 

Kyle Fletcher vs Willie Mack looked great to me on paper and they more than delivered. Willie Mack managed to pull a thoroughly flat crowd into the proceedings because it is mandatory to root for Willie Mack. I can't imagine him having a bad match with anyone. Kyle Fletcher continues to grow into a singles superstar in the absence of his partner; he is in sensational form at the moment and it'll be a bit of a shame when he slots back into Aussie Open. Thoroughly entertaining back and forth affair, good chemistry between them. Mack got plenty of shine, Fletcher took advantage of Mack's size to bust out some very impressive power spots, including a deadlift into a hanging sheer drop brainbuster and a crazy looking top rope Michinoku driver. 

Dalton Castle vs Peter Avalon. The real reason I watched this episode. This time Dalton pulled a half eaten cheese sandwich out of his jumpsuit and ate it on the way to the ring, then let the boys eat the remains out of his hand. Dalton struggling so hard in this match. I don't think I've ever seen Peter Avalon dominate someone for so long. Avalon keeps going for the top rope splash, Dalton keeps rolling out of the ring. At one point he collapses onto the announce table, The Boys unable to console him:Screenshot2024-01-06025603.thumb.png.166024fc45ac7f1a5932e5051421b87d.png

He fires back with his suplexes, tries the Bangarang but loses the will to hit the move and lets Avalon flop down to the mat, Dalton looking like he might cry at this point. The crowd and The Boys manage to rally behind Dalton juuuust enough for him to hit it at the second time of asking. He flops on top of Avalon with a desperate glassy-eyed stare on his face, just barely scraping by the guy who loses to everybody. He has won the match but he is lost. 

Excellent promo from Dalton backstage later in the show. He is confronted by John TV and Taya Valkyrie. Dalton says he wants to smash John TV's face. Taya says he won't smash her husband's beautiful face and then they kiss in front of him all slobbery like. He is appalled. Dalton says he won't rest until he has satisfaction but Taya says he's not getting the match with John Television. 

John TV you piece of shit, you have broken our hearts and you will pay. Don't think I've ever been this invested in anything Johnny Surnames has done. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, JLM said:

I even skipped the main event Komander/Vikingo/Lee Johnson vs Workhorsemen/Gringo Loco. I'm sure it was a fun spotfest but it feels like last week's main event, only slightly worse.

It wasn't even that, you didn't miss anything here. One of those matches where everyone seems to be half a step off each other and the crowd was completely dead too. 

It was the most nothing ROH show in quite a while. 

Kyle Fletcher vs Willie Mack was good but also seemed like they were holding back a little, so wouldn't mind seeing them face off again. 

• Paid Members
On 12/22/2023 at 10:25 AM, Supremo said:

“Dalton Castle loses his mojo,” is a storyline that absolutely belongs on one of the proper shows. I’m going to be extra annoyed if that remains behind a paywall, but The House of Black continue stinking up every episode of Collision with their spooky bollocks.

When he gets his Mojo back it'll be Mojo Rawley...

• Paid Members

I wasn't trying to be funny, I was just worrying that this is the kind of stupid thing Tony Khan might try and book. 

• Paid Members

Why do they punish me with these cards? 

Skipped: John Cruz vs Zak Knight (which was EIGHT MINUTES LONG! Why?!?!?!) Tony Nese vs Jobber, The Boys vs Iron Savages, Serpentico vs Cole Karter, Josh Woods vs jobber, Taya Valkyrie vs Whichever Renegade, Leyla Hirsch and Rachel Ellering vs jobbers, Lee Johnson vs Christopher Daniels. The “main event” of Shane Taylor Promotions vs The Infantry. 

Angelico vs Kyle Fletcher was OK but didn’t really get out of second gear. I really enjoy Angelico and his wonky llave nonsense. Apparently he had a match with Zack Sabre Jr. back in 2017, would love to see that. Lucha underground Angelico vs Kyle Fletcher would have been a belter, but current day Angelico in this role meant it was just a routine title defense. 

The Righteous vs The Dawsons. Broke my rule of skipping the jobber squashes for Dutch and was handsomely rewarded. The Dawsons jump The Righteous and cheap shot Dutch right at the start, which turns out to be a huuuuge mistake on their part. They have the heat on Vincent very briefly, he then tags  in Dutch and the big lad goes fucking nuclear on these boys. Both of the opponents as big as he is but they might as well have been Serpentico. I bloody love me some Dutch. Very short squash and a delightful one. 

Lady Frost vs Trish Adora vs Queen Aminata Vs Diamante. They sprinted through this one. Lady Frost as usual had some fancy looking offense. Queen Aminata has a good look and seems capable in ring. Played out in front of near silence though because we still don’t know these people. Diamante is a heel, the other three are just wrestlers. I thought with the little pre-tapes they did the other week about the women’s TV title they might start doing some character work with this division, but no. 

Jack Cartwheel vs Blake Christian vs Slim J vs Gravity. Jack Cartwheel made me watch a Gravity match. That is high, high praise. This was an entertaining scramble with at least a couple of spots I have never seen before. Gravity comfortably the least impressive in the match but, to his credit, did not massively fuck anything up. Slim J had the nerve to do a cartwheel and was told “that’s my shit!” by Jack. Remember the Trustbusters? I just did. They were so shit. 

Our Lord and Saviour Dalton Castle highlighted the show once again. Lexy Nair says he hasn’t turned up for his interview but she’s been told he’s been spotted in the basement. Actually laughed out loud during this segment, he’s so good and Lexy is also a gem. 

Lexy, in the basement, calls out to him, he gives muffled replies, Lexy finds him in one of whatever those boxes full of production gear are called. Production gear boxes, perhaps…

14455D29-5CA2-4973-A03A-B7A251C2429A.thumb.png.4a54c0e9bf9e48764790cde5f683d27d.png
She peels back a blanket to reveal our hero. Can’t overstate how good Dalton is here. He looks genuinely stunned to see the camera pointed at him. He has a piece of a cheese slice on his neck and is still wearing the same jumpsuit. Lexy says he hasn’t been himself lately. He doesn’t disagree. He says he needs to smash John TV’s face. He needs to smash his face! The board of directors have said he can have the match but only if that piece of shit John Television agrees. 
F174AFCC-6CD4-4FB6-9F3E-5D37A78929D3.thumb.png.f9583799b7b3c65ab78f9cad68fe8f6f.png

He asks Lexy if she’ll talk to John TV and ask him to fight Dalton. A reluctant Lexy takes pity on Dalton and agrees. Dalton says he’s going to stay there, but rummages in his jumpsuit and thanks her for her kindness with a very sweaty looking cheese slice. Lexi states that it’s warm. Dalton advises that this is because it’s been in his jumpsuit.

0A886995-B88B-48B6-8ABD-9C7E9280B39C.thumb.png.dc9190c99e26afaa9381d98d695f0e61.png

Going to say this every week but it is a travesty that this is buried on Honor Club. 

We then get John TV and Taya Valkyrie with Lexy Nair. It’s such a brilliant contrast as these two look ready for the red carpet. Johnny says he will not fight Dalton because Dalton is not TV ready. Taya agrees. They both state that Taya Valkyrie is TV ready and she’s going to win the women’s TV title. They are both delighted to realise that her initials are in fact TV. Again these two are brilliantly obnoxious together. Haven’t enjoyed much of Taya’s promo/character work previously but she is perfect in this role. 

The other highlight of the show was the Athena bit. Thought I was going to be denied again. We get a pre-taped promo of her at the metroplex wrestling academy directing training drills. Seems like it’s just a quick filler promo with her bigging herself up and showing clips of her amazing reign. Then Nyla Rose appears out of nowhere, destroys all the trainees in the ring and then beats the shit out of Athena and smashes her through a door whilst talking all sorts of trash. This was fucking awesome and totally caught me by surprise. Loved it. 

So once again a ton of unacceptably dull filler on the show, the four way flippy dudes spot fest was decent and I’m glad I saw the Dalton and Athena bits. 

Edited by JLM

They could have just asked Zak to show them what moves he can do in the afternoon instead of film this. 8 minutes like you say of complete spam. WCW Revenge vs a computer in easy mode. No story and again 8 MINUTES. 20 year veteran?

• Paid Members

The Zak Knight appearances have been surprisingly decent so far, but having him go 8 minutes with Not Serpentico was certainly a choice.

God bless the fans who stay for the entire taping. Imagine watching four hours of wrestling featuring actual AEW stars on Collision then deciding you'll also stick around for the next installment of Maria's lads vs Serpentico/Angelico, or an Iron Savages match. True dedication.