Tony Khan Buys ROH

WyattSheepMask

The briscos from what I have heard have made efforts to change and learn and better themselves, which is more than 90% of those in wrestling tend to do when called out. 

• Paid Members

Only watched Zero Hour so far, was loads of fun. 

I bloody love me some Jeff Cobb. Great swagger, great mix of hossery and athleticism and a finisher that I pop for every time, especially when he catches another move and then transitions into it with his raw hoss power.  Prime Beef vs Luchador is, for me, an ideal match type for two guys who don't have a story together otherwise. The clash of styles and the size difference is an instant story in itself.  Thought they had great chemistry, Cobb's power spots are spectacular and Dorada is a highlight machine.  One thing I particularly liked was the progression of dive spots. Initially Cobb was catching the attempts with ease, at one point doing so with one hand. This meant that when Dorada finally took him out with one it was a big moment *and* Cobb had a good reason to stand on the outside and wait for the dive, as he'd previously caught them all with no trouble. One of the few times the guy just standing  there waiting for a high flyer to do a dive made good sense. Cobb made out as if he was going to catch him again but got thrown off because Dorada did a faster, twisting variation on it that made him harder to catch. The commentators called it out too. Loved that. 

Daddy Magic is great, Cheeseburger is always so over whenever he appears on AEW shows, fun little TV match. Or is it a YT match now? 

Athena vs Mercedes was a funny one. Guess the ROH crowd hates jobbers and believes they deserve everything they get in that ring, as they were 100% behind Athena. She was wearing an actual googly eye on her forehead. What a dork. Good match, inevitable result. I hope they ignore this reaction and keep her heel though. Or at the very least don't change how she's acting and let the crowd do as they will. Just don't make her cut babyface promos or try to be likeable, she is very bad at it. This suits her much better. 

The Kingdom vs Top Flight was tremendous. Had no interest in it whatsoever beforehand but it drew me right in. Slightly terrifying moment when Dante slipped off the top rope but otherwise everyone was brilliant. Darius Martin in particular both as babyface in peril and on hot tags seemed like he was trying to steal the show. Lovely finish too despite a bit of faff getting it set up. 

One of the more enjoyable kick off type shows I've watched in a while. 

Edited by JLM

3 minutes ago, JLM said:

Only watched Zero Hour so far, was loads of fun.

Athena vs Mercedes was a funny one.

Athena v. Mercedes was a PPV match. Not sure where the mix up was as you follow up with Kingdom v. Top Flight. Willow v. Trish Adora was on Zero Hour.

As for Athena getting cheered. Not only is she from Texas it was practically a hometown crowd. Since the DFW gets bundled up together.

• Paid Members

Haha what the hell, this is what I get for watching things in the early hours of the morning. I've actually watched the RUSH/Dralistico vs AR Fox and Blake Christian match too now that I look at the card. Wonky finish, brutal chair shots afterwards. It's all coming back to me now. One of the few times I haven't fast forwarded a Blake Christian match on instinct as I do enjoy RUSH's dickheadery. Throughout his NXT run it was the same with Blake, I struggle to sit through his matches. I am pretty forgiving when it comes to wrestlers not having "the look" but my god he has a bad look. Also not a good promo and in-ring he is good but there are so many guys just like him on that roster. 

Also that makes more sense about Athena now. 

Trish vs Willow was a slobberknocker. Dr. Bomb at the end looked a bit rough for Trish. I like what I've seen from Trish Adora on her dark appearances and she looked good here, but she runs the ropes in the most bizarre way and it's slightly disconcerting. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, JLM said:

Throughout his NXT run it was the same with Blake, I struggle to sit through his matches. I am pretty forgiving when it comes to wrestlers not having "the look" but my god he has a bad look.  

I've only just clicked on he's the chap that Cora Jade used to be knocking off on screen before he was released. 

3 hours ago, AndyUK said:

Bit shit that they didn't get their own TV deal, and I don't see there being much demand to pay for $10 a month but always had a soft spot for ROH so will enjoy going through the library for a few months at least.

On reflection, it’s completely understandable as to why it didn’t end up happening. The reaction to ROH on AEW TV wasn’t exactly positive, and any network taking even a cursory glance at the promotion would have seen that. If it seems like an unpopular; perhaps even a toxic; brand, why would you risk investing in it?

7 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

On reflection, it’s completely understandable as to why it didn’t end up happening. The reaction to ROH on AEW TV wasn’t exactly positive, and any network taking even a cursory glance at the promotion would have seen that. If it seems like an unpopular; perhaps even a toxic; brand, why would you risk investing in it?

It's pretty understandable from the point of view of MLW, NWA, WOW, Impact, etc all struggling to get meaningful TV deals. Wrestling gets crap ad buys and the further down the depth chart endless reruns of dead shows perform just as well in the ratings and get better ad buys.

16 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

On reflection, it’s completely understandable as to why it didn’t end up happening.

Yep. It’s a niche within a niche. It’s a bad result for sniff but if he fucks it off to the back burner and concentrates on his main toy, it’s a win win. 

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Impact basically had to buy a TV channel just to get a TV deal. MLW is only watched in the early hours on a channel barely anyone knows about. NWA is a YouTube show. I think TK overestimated how much interest there is out there from TV channels for a wrestling show. No one gives a fuck. In hindsight it's a miracle that AEW ended up on TNT.