Tony Khan Buys ROH

WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

what I loved about Yuta/Garcia is that they resisted temptation to build it so heavily around Pure rules - they only used up one rope break, it didn't factor into the overall finish. It's often tempting with a stipulation match to burn through every possibility that stipulation offers all in one go.

• Paid Members

Per match, one of the more enjoyable PPV's of the year. Yes, Gresham being a baby tarnished the opener which is a shame as I think he is massively talented. I enjoyed the mix of acts I was familiar with and those I wasn't (Dalton Castle and the boys springs to mind). I also echo the length, 3 hours was ideal and I hope they stick to that going forward.

• Paid Members

I must have misremembered the Pure rules because I thought you were allowed to do a punch to the head, but it cost you one rope break. Think that would be better actually as you'd have the drama of making your punches count.

🤥Jon Gresham is to small I think a 205 live run as cruiserweight champ would have suited him and been ok ..I'm not hating on him..but Claudio looked ten foot taller than him at the roh ppv I mean Rey beat nash was believable in wcw cause it's Rey but how can someone 5 ft tall beat someone the size of Claudio in less the have a giant killer gimmick or there Conor McGregor 

• Paid Members

God damn, Garcia vs Wheeler was great. William Regal mentioning on commentary that he (and the rest of the BCC) will be disappointed if Wheeler even uses one of his rope breaks had me almost shouting at the telly when Wheeler was in dire stratus near the end.

"Don't touch that fucking rope! Fight your way out, lad!".

Brilliant stuff. The rest of the card was good-great, AND was under three hours long too which is fucking perfect for a wrestling PPV. Get to fuck with these overly-long, bloated AEW PPVs.

Edited by Accident Prone

17 hours ago, kidzero said:

🤥Jon Gresham is to small I think a 205 live run as cruiserweight champ would have suited him and been ok ..I'm not hating on him..but Claudio looked ten foot taller than him at the roh ppv I mean Rey beat nash was believable in wcw cause it's Rey but how can someone 5 ft tall beat someone the size of Claudio in less the have a giant killer gimmick or there Conor McGregor 

It cerainly sounds like you're "hating on him" - I'd been cynical about Gresham ahead of the PPV, but he'd built like a tank and I thought he looked really believable against Claudio, in spite of the height difference. I thought he was a lot of fun to watch, and could have been a valuable addition to the AEW roster. 

• Paid Members

I like Gresham. He has a technical style which I think manages to work because eof his size. He also often avoids falling into the "tiny babyface underdog fights from underneath" trope as well. I wonder whether he'll just focus more on Terminus going forward. 

4 hours ago, RedRooster said:

It cerainly sounds like you're "hating on him" - I'd been cynical about Gresham ahead of the PPV, but he'd built like a tank and I thought he looked really believable against Claudio, in spite of the height difference. I thought he was a lot of fun to watch, and could have been a valuable addition to the AEW roster. 

I'm not bad mouthing the guy it's just my opinion of him  and I think he's a vanilla midget That's it 

22 hours ago, JNLister said:

I must have misremembered the Pure rules because I thought you were allowed to do a punch to the head, but it cost you one rope break. Think that would be better actually as you'd have the drama of making your punches count.

Was it a warning and then a rope break penalty?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, poetofthedeed said:

Was it a warning and then a rope break penalty?

Yeah, looked back and I was thinking of the 2004-6 era. That was warning for first punch to the head, lose a rope break for subsequent punches, and DQ for a punch when you're out of rope breaks.

Now it's just warning for the first and instant DQ for the second.