Tony Khan Buys ROH

WyattSheepMask

Future of ROH is still up in the air with no events booked and nothing definitive in terms of TV. Warnermedia got namechecked often enough in the post show media scrum that people think they're angling for the HBOMAX streaming deal.

The internet idea of having ROH shows on the Saturdays during AEW PPV weekends also got referenced. I could see that happening for the All Out weekend. All Out is due to be in the United Center in Chicago this year with Dynamite/Rampage possibly being in the NOW Arena. It would be easy enough to keep a hold of the NOW Arena for the Saturday.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Louch said:

But if they are genuine in their apologies for prior behaviours and beliefs, and have grown as people then you need those kinds people highlighted so that others stuck in their old ways see that change is possible and can question why they think like they do. 

I agree with this - what's the point in pressuring people to change if we don't accept when they do?

The thing is, there's then two follow-up points - one is who gets to decide when someone has genuinely changed, and even if they have, should someone who has made mistakes and redeemed themselves still warrant a spot more than someone who never made those mistakes in the first place? I'm not in any way suggesting I know the answer to either of those questions...

• Paid Members

Thought it was an excellent show and the £25 buy price was definitely better then buying a new watch.

it felt very much wrestling over sports entertainment. And yes, there were some AEW wrestlers, or ROH Wrestlers on the card, other then when they promoted the next Dynamite I didn’t think it was a glaring advert for AEW. If they could keep the two separate and keep ROH more grounded in Wrestling and AEW be your more sports entertainment brand, I think it could work. 

• Paid Members

I haven’t seen the Briscoes in forever. Considering how they were stupidly smashing their skulls in with chairs the last time I saw them ten to fifteen years ago, I always just assumed they’d be complete washed by this point.

I couldn’t have been more wrong! These lads can still go and that FTR match was a fucking belter! Crazy chemistry for guys wrestling for the first time. I don’t know what the right thing to do is in terms of forgiving what they’ve said and done in the past, @BomberPatarticulated it better than I ever could, but there’s no denying they could make a great addition to AEW’s tag division if they were ever brought in.

13 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I agree with this - what's the point in pressuring people to change if we don't accept when they do?

The thing is, there's then two follow-up points - one is who gets to decide when someone has genuinely changed, and even if they have, should someone who has made mistakes and redeemed themselves still warrant a spot more than someone who never made those mistakes in the first place? I'm not in any way suggesting I know the answer to either of those questions...

No matter who “decides”, you will always have people who have issues with it. Same with how rehabilitated criminals are largely treated, there’s always going to be people who don’t think it’s enough. Wrestling will never have a governing body who say yes or no on people, we learned that during speaking out, it’s more like acting or music.  I’ve no interest in Mel Gibson films, but someone must as they keep Making them. Austin got a thunderous pop last night even tho he’s a domestic abuser who then drove whilst still drinking after it. The real decider is star power. If money can be made, it’ll be made. 

13 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I didn't know they'd apologised for all that. So, if they have, genuinely, then fair enough.

Same, I didn't know they'd apologised for it. 

I take it all back, they don't belong in mainstream wrestling. 

11 hours ago, Chunk said:

Am I missing something? I can pay $9.99 to watch Supercard of Honor via honorclub or I can buy the PPV replay on FITE for $29.99?

And if you sign up to Honorclub with the same email address as your FITE account, you can just watch it on FITE anyway.

On 4/3/2022 at 12:12 AM, Carbomb said:

I didn't know they'd apologised for all that.

On 4/3/2022 at 1:49 PM, Vamp said:

Same, I didn't know they'd apologised for it.

Me neither. Anyone happen to know where I can see it?

Meltzer is reporting that the Supercard of Honor PPV did 20,000 buys. This is over and above those who watched on Honor Club apparently.

Seems like a good number to me. Gonna have to assume there was interest in the first show under new management as well as the possibility of surprises.

FTR and the Briscoes definitely felt like a big match too.

1 hour ago, Factotum said:

I imagine Tony will be planning to use the ROH library for something. Do we think streaming service?

It'll no doubt get packaged up for a streaming deal. It's not simply matches but they've now got the footage to start making docs on Joe, CM Punk, Danielson, the Bucks and others to start generating a fairly passive income with old content.