Tony Khan Buys ROH

WyattSheepMask

1. World Title: Bandido v. Jonathan Gresham
  2. Tag Titles: The Briscoes (c) v. FTR
  3. Pure Title: Josh Woods (c) v. Wheeler Yuta
  4. Interim Women's World Title: Willow Nightingale v. Mercedes Martinez
  5. Jay Lethal v. Lee Moriarty
  6. Swerve Strickland v. Alex Zayne
  • Joe Hendry and Ninja Mack originally announced prior to the sale of ROH. Still believed to be appearing.

The Interim Women's World Title match was added last night. Seems TK has a a thing against no.1 Contender's matches :) Although in fairness the men's World Title is basically a unification match of shorts from the two world title situation when Bandido couldn't defend at Final Battle.

Joe Hendry put up a video on social media confirming he'll be there. He was calling out Scorpio Sky which I thought was a weird person to target. Until I remembered Sky was the TNT Champion. Didn't seem like the set up for a match though. Just Joe trying to generate some buzz for himself. To think the parody video era of Joe Hendry probably would have been snapped up by AEW.

• Paid Members

I see he's booked an interim women's title match. He doesn't want Deonna Purazzo working two shows on the same, but doesn't mind the Briscoes being double booked? 

2 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I see he's booked an interim women's title match. He doesn't want Deonna Purazzo working two shows on the same, but doesn't mind the Briscoes being double booked? 

Maybe she doesn’t want to do 2 Shows? 

15 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Briscoes were booked on both shows before he bought the company. Deonna was never booked. Impact have taped TV past Multiverse of Matches as their next set of TV tapings aren't until the end of April. Clearly there's no bad blood or issue here otherwise the title would have been stripped and Impact would have stopped with the Champ Champ Challenge booking of Deonna for their PPV.

Decent shout the Briscoes v. FTR will be the first match on the RoH PPV. Lets them have the match they want and fans expect. Then have just enough time to get to the Impact PPV location before the show actually starts. Do that for two matches and someone turning up late or injured would cause some reshuffling for Impact.

I was wondering what the sales were like for the show, since it very much feels like a glorified Dark taping. Looks like original RoH didn't have the highest hopes. Going for a set up that more than halved the building.

They're going to near enough sell out with an attendance just under 2,000.

It will certainly look a bit different from Winter Is Coming II back in December when AEW had around 6,000 in there.

Also, Ian Riccaboni & Caprice Coleman have been confirmed as the commentary team.

• Paid Members

What's Tony's big thing about interim champions? Why not have a number one contender's match? 

35 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

What's Tony's big thing about interim champions? Why not have a number one contender's match? 

Don't think it can be called a big thing. It's happened twice now. This second time happening on a show where there will basically be an undisputed championship match between the original ROH champion and Interim one.

It's been a thing in Boxing for decades, and i'd say it's become more popular in certain circles thanks to the UFC. An Interim Championship match is a better sell than a No. 1 Contender match. It's also going to make a bit more sense in this situation.

Deonna Purrazzo has been defending her RoH & AAA titles at the minute on Impact tv. She has a defence on the Impact PPV and

Spoiler

also seems to have taped a defence from the Impact tapings that's not aired yet and isn't due to air tonight accoring to the preview.

In which case it's a bit pointless having a number one contender crowned that doesn't get the next title shot.

EDIT: TK loves a mystery. Tully Blanchard's new mystery client v. Ninja Mack announced for Supercard of Honor.

Edited by Infinity Land

• Paid Members

I understand wanting to crown an interim champion if your current champion is going to be out for a year because of an injury or illness etc, but crowning one because your champion is busy that night? It just strikes me as unnecessary.

Likewise when they decided to have an interim TNT champion because Cody had to isolate for two weeks. He missed an episode of Dynamite and an episode of Rampage, but they had to have a title match at their battle for the belts show. 

1. World Title: Bandido w/ Chavo Guerrero v. Jonathan Gresham
  2. Tag Titles: The Briscoes (c) v. FTR
  3. Pure Title: Josh Woods (c) v. Wheeler Yuta
  4. Interim Women's World Title: Willow Nightingale v. Mercedes Martinez
  5. TV Title: Rhett Titus (c) v. Minoru Suzuki
  6. Jay Lethal v. Lee Moriarty
  7. Swerve Strickland v. Alex Zayne
  8. Ninja Mack v. Tully Blanchard's New Client

Couple of additions last night. Rhett Titus v. Minoru Suzuki was added for the TV Title. Chavo is now appearing as Bandido's manager, looks like no bridges were burned there.

6 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I understand wanting to crown an interim champion if your current champion is going to be out for a year because of an injury or illness etc, but crowning one because your champion is busy that night? It just strikes me as unnecessary.

Likewise when they decided to have an interim TNT champion because Cody had to isolate for two weeks. He missed an episode of Dynamite and an episode of Rampage, but they had to have a title match at their battle for the belts show. 

While it's easy in hindsight to say it was only two weeks. You never know how Cody may have been effected. From Keith Lee to Nick Jackson(?) there have been a few wrestlers that aren't to have had issues. I think the main thing there was that they had booked a title match, so it became an Interim title match. Which is a fairly standard thing to do in other sports. Wrestling's maybe more used to stripping the champion and having the replacement match be for the real title rather than an interim one.

Right now in kayfabe it makes sense for their to be an Interim Women's title. They haven't been able to book the actual champion and they aren't under contract to the company. There's  enough good will to get a deal done. It just hasn't happened yet.

17 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

I think the main thing there was that they had booked a title match, so it became an Interim title match. Which is a fairly standard thing to do in other sports. Wrestling's maybe more used to stripping the champion and having the replacement match be for the real title rather than an interim one.

Would anyone have really been bothered if they just moved the match back a couple of weeks? I know Battle of The Belts and all that, but a quick explanation of Cody testing positive for COVID wouldn’t have derailed anything. IIRC, they had the other champs there to work Dark matches, they could’ve also quite easily moved one of those to the main show 

11 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Would anyone have really been bothered if they just moved the match back a couple of weeks?

They didn't know if it would be a couple of weeks. Hindsight's 20-20. What they did appears to be a mix of being cautious, creating an opportunity for a unification match, possibly even hedging bets since Cody was out of contract and we know how that went.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/wwe-mma-wrestling/aew-nick-jackson-young-bucks-coronavirus-b1785576.html

From January 2021 interview with Nick Jackson

I had a pretty bad case of COVID in early September that kept me bed ridden for nearly 3 weeks. I couldn’t taste or smell for 2 [and] a half months.

At one point my whole body had hives in it and my doctor said that it was definitely from COVID.

Matt had to do the majority of the work in matches once I returned safely because I couldn’t catch my breath.

My cardio is finally back but it took months to finally feel like myself again.