Tony Khan Buys ROH

WyattSheepMask

33 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The only thing I will say is that, once the titles are unified, it needs to go back to being a single belt. I hate to play the "casual fan" card, but Sammy Guevera carrying two belts for one championship was an awful look, and not something you could satisfactorily explain to a first-time viewer.

Some people manage just fine though...

spacer.png

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

EDIT @Carbomb Interim champs are a brilliantly easy way of generating new storylines, agreed. I’m not sure presenting the smarkiest of smarky promotions as a legit sport works. But no doubt I’m just not seeing the meta 4D chess going on maaaan. 

Hey, I was the one advocating a Sports Centre format with pundits from the WWF's arguably most cartoony era. Anything can be done.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the whole interim championship thing, because with very few exceptions, it tends to be shite in real sports.

35 minutes ago, Tamura said:

Some people manage just fine though...

spacer.png

The Triple Crown did look awesome. Not having seen AEW recently, I don't know which belts Guevara was holding, but if they were both exactly the same, that's shite. Looks much better when it's three different belts.

6 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

The Triple Crown did look awesome. Not having seen AEW recently, I don't know which belts Guevara was holding, but if they were both exactly the same, that's shite. Looks much better when it's three different belts.

The original Triple Crown doesn't really count, since it was 3 different Championships merged. It was a sad day when they made the single title belt.

The two belts that Sammy, and now Scorpio with Dan Lambert have very subtle differences. It's not really something that would be noticed without a proper look at them.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

The original Triple Crown doesn't really count, since it was 3 different Championships merged. It was a sad day when they made the single title belt.

This is true. Massive fan of “different” and when All Japan decided they’d have just another World Heavyweight Champion like the IWGP or GHC belts, we lost something wonderful. I felt like they lost part of their identity, like when TNA jettisoned the six sided ring.

There are, (cough)Progress(cough), of course, (cough)staff(cough)tag shield(cough), always exceptions.

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, air_raid said:

There are, (cough)Progress(cough), of course, (cough)staff(cough)tag shield(cough), always exceptions.

I fondly remember, from back in the day, Sliced Bread Wrestling, whose champion got to carry the Golden Toaster.

Edited by Carbomb

10 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Might be an argument there's more stars added in managerial type roles than in the ring. Matt Sydal, Tully Blanchard, Chavo, and now William Regal.

Who’s regal managing? 

• Paid Members

ROH owned by Tony Khan is one thing, but operated and booked by Tony Khan as a separate entity is a bad idea. He'll spread himself too thin. He should bring someone else in to run it leaving him just signing off on financial decisions. If he books two separate promotions it'll only speed up the inevitable booker burnout that would eventually have set into AEW. For no additional gain, as ROH is going to be ROH. It may be 2016 or 2005 ROH instead of 2019/2020 ROH, but ultimately it's Ring of Honour. Buy it, take their tape library and streaming platform. . .then fold it as an operating business. Hopefully I'm wrong and it turns into a burgeoning developmental league instead. 

36 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

ROH owned by Tony Khan is one thing, but operated and booked by Tony Khan as a separate entity is a bad idea. He'll spread himself too thin. He should bring someone else in to run it leaving him just signing off on financial decisions. If he books two separate promotions it'll only speed up the inevitable booker burnout that would eventually have set into AEW. For no additional gain, as ROH is going to be ROH. It may be 2016 or 2005 ROH instead of 2019/2020 ROH, but ultimately it's Ring of Honour. Buy it, take their tape library and streaming platform. . .then fold it as an operating business. Hopefully I'm wrong and it turns into a burgeoning developmental league instead. 

It's cool he has multiple EWR saves to work from.

• Paid Members

Indies doing pre-shows is awful for me. You’re already viewed as little league compared to WWE but WWE can afford to bury some of their roster as “not good enough for the show proper.” Just put your intended best show on the air, and it starts when it starts.