Tony Khan Buys ROH

WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Fulham fans will be chuffed.

Looking forward to their next AGM where the members are told their last parachute payment bought a wrestling company nobody's cared about for 10 years.

3 hours ago, kieranjennings said:

Genuinely would love to know the due diligence done to value this sale at $30 million. A lot of the previous shows are already available through their Honor Club platform and didn't generate enough revenue to keep them in business. They are an important but niche promotion that was hot for only a few years (they trundled along the last few years).

There is no name value to the brand any more so it just seems to be a vanity buy to say that he owns ROH and has the early footage of his new signings early work. If he was to do documentary style output though for those guys he would still have an issue where the main years of their careers would not be able to be included making them slightly redundant.  

RoH never went out of business. Sinclair simply cut all their major liabilties (wrestling talent) to make it attractive in a sale. A bit like how people like to gossip about WWE being for sale due to their constant talent releases of late.

If there was a random non-TK money mark out there wanting to chase the "3rd Biggest Promotion in the US" then the infrastructure ROH had with a clean slate on the talent front would be appealing to some. Think about the half assed bidding war between Anthem, Billy Corgan, and the Nazi Brothers trying to buy TNA. Then from a pure tape library purchase and folding the company it'd be more appealing to WWE or AEW.

Between HonorClub, live events, FiteTV, youtube, merch, and minor TV deals they were still producing millions in revenue each year.

There's arguments to be had about the merits of the footage but there's definitely a custodian argument in there that probably makes a lot of sense in whacky pro wrestling terms, to a guy who has no problem throwing cash around. 

AEW's the first company in a long time to have a real shake at being an alternative on equal footing to the WWE, and one of the things WWE has is an astounding history. A lot of which has been bought and paid for. AEW will never be able to match those vaults, but the closest analogue they have in terms of a lineage really is ROH. The stars, the fans, the way much of it played out online, the purist superior-to-sports-entertainment streak. A lot of that stuff was birthed and encapsulated in ROH in the mid noughties. AEW's just the promise made good on. 

I can see why they'd want to have a piece of that history. Now they have a huge amount of their origin story on tape. 

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

As will the Jags. 

Im still convinced Big Daddy Khan hopes this train set keeps his idiot son away from the family silver. 

Out of interest, why do you hate Tony Khan so much?

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

There's arguments to be had about the merits of the footage but there's definitely a custodian argument in there that probably makes a lot of sense in whacky pro wrestling terms, to a guy who has no problem throwing cash around. 

AEW's the first company in a long time to have a real shake at being an alternative on equal footing to the WWE, and one of the things WWE has is an astounding history. A lot of which has been bought and paid for. AEW will never be able to match those vaults, but the closest analogue they have in terms of a lineage really is ROH. The stars, the fans, the way much of it played out online, the purist superior-to-sports-entertainment streak. A lot of that stuff was birthed and encapsulated in ROH in the mid noughties. AEW's just the promise made good on. 

I can see why they'd want to have a piece of that history. Now they have a huge amount of their origin story on tape. 

I think they definitely want to carve out bits of wrestling history outside of WWE - partly because it makes solid business sense to have more history to fall back on rather than seeming like a young company with nothing backing you up, but mostly because Tony Khan is a big old nerd. The latest set of AEW action figures include Chris Jericho in his old Mexican wrestling garb, and then you have stuff like the Owen Hart tournament coming in, and it wouldn't surprise me if the AEW video game ends up featuring a fair few "legends" that aren't usually featured in WWE's version of history. 

I doubt this stops at ROH - I don't think Tony's going to be scooping up the grainy early '00s Smart Mark video back catalogue any time soon, but could see him fishing around for the old Houston tapes, some international stuff, basically anything to pad out the back catalogue that's not already pinned down by WWE or TV networks.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

don't think Tony's going to be scooping up the grainy early '00s Smart Mark video back catalogue any time soon

That's a shame. I'd love to rewatch some of those scummy batshit CZW shows from 2001 I used to order from Dave Pick back in the day.

9 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I doubt this stops at ROH - I don't think Tony's going to be scooping up the grainy early '00s Smart Mark video back catalogue any time soon, but could see him fishing around for the old Houston tapes, some international stuff, basically anything to pad out the back catalogue that's not already pinned down by WWE or TV networks.

I saw Meltzer trying to convince people the ECW House Show FanCam library was worth purchasing. Unless it's the WWE there would be copyright conflicts. Similar to how RoH owned the All In footage but all the copyrights were held by the Elite and transferred to AEW. Not to mention the unlicenced entrance music and being fancam footage with no real production to it.

RoH at least makes some sense from a historical context with the talent roster they have. Look at how Heartland Wrestling got referenced in the Mox/Danielson package. As well as an ongoing wrestling promotion.

21 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

He’s a spoilt rich kid billionaire family pro Trump capitalist one percenter who happily employs nonces. There are no nice billionaires. 

I know he’s king nerd and you all live vicariously through him though, but I think he’s a cunt. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Tbh I'm surprised you need to ask this question. I know he owns and funds a wrestling company you like but I'd have thought the answer(s) would be quite obvious even so.

1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Tbh I'm surprised you need to ask this question. I know he owns and funds a wrestling company you like but I'd have thought the answer(s) would be quite obvious even so.

It’s like niche Elon Musk simps.