Tony Khan Buys ROH

WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I'm sure HBO will be gagging to pay top dollar for an archive of TV shows no one watched at the time and shows in highschool gyms.

Peacock has paid top dollar for the streaming rights of a company whose ratings are in free fall who had 1.5m subscribers globally. Do you know what a loss leader is? That’s what streaming services are doing right now to show value for money because you get ALL this content for your money whether you’re watching it or not. It’s like Sky promoting their hundreds of channels when you probably only watch 10 of them. It’s much cheaper then making new content as well. They’re paying for AEW, the rest is just added content.

• Paid Members

I think WWE has rather more name value than ROH. And WWE ratings may be declining, but they're declining at a slower rate that most TV in the US. 

Sky like any other sensible business throw silly money at content that's worth it. Premier League, HBO imports etc. Drone Racing and filler shows like Sunnyside or Sky Nature docs get a pittance. 

In essence, AEW might get a decent streaming deal at some point, and it'll be for a lot. However I don't think it's going to be $30m more because they've bought the library of a company that has relatively never been popular ever.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

And to think Vince allegedly only paid around $4 million for WCW and it’s tape library.

Even aside from how dirt cheap Vince got WCW for, it's a different world now. The WCW tape library, in 2001, meant they could show clips of Goldberg on RAW, and churn out the odd DVD. Now, the market is all about Content. 

AEW is still a young company, and if it wants the sort of deal that WWE have struck with Peacock or that they're rumoured to be close to with HBO Max, then they need more content than just the couple of years of TV and PPV they've produced. By buying up the ROH video library, they've added twenty years of additional material to their back catalogue, but is going to make any streaming deal far more profitable for them, and will likely bring in far more money than the $30 million they've spent. 

• Paid Members

It doesn't need to be 50 years of WWE to be of value. Presuming that they see CM Punk and Bryan Danielson as stars (and it's clear they do, and fairly clear the networks agree), then having more matches and PPVs featuring both of them in any streaming platform will only be a good thing. And that's without all the footage for documentaries, etc - and based on their video packages alone, the idea of AEW documentaries sounds genuinely interesting.

Add in what would effectively be a developmental territory with a bit of name value, and it doesn't seem like it's some ridiculous purchase. They can basically push the whole 'pure pro wrestling' thing. And the more they treat it as a big deal, the more of a difference-maker it is for streaming, etc.

10 hours ago, gmoney said:

I'm sure HBO will be gagging to pay top dollar for an archive of TV shows no one watched at the time and shows in highschool gyms.

In all fairness the ROH library has big names in it. 

Tyler Black , Kevin Steen, El Generico, AJ Styles, Nakamura and Strong who are all currently WWE wrestlers. 

Then it has CM Punk, Danielson, Samoa Joe, Cole, Page and lots of Noah and NJPW wrestlers over the years. 

Lots of those wrestlers hold more name value now and I'm sure lots of people subscribe to wwe for old content. I'm sure plenty will subscribe to watch AEW plus old content of their favourites on the indies. 

13 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

What is this Judge Judy?

Ok how about this. As has been rumoured there maybe an AEW HBO Max deal in the future. We already know what TNT (part of the same company) pay a year for Dynamite. So they might say that they will offer $80m a year to be the exclusive home for future shows and past content. They could then say, that’s great but did you know we have an extensive library of another promotion, 20 years worth of content on top of all our AEW content? We could add that to the deal and that gives you 1000’s more hours of content meaning it gives the consumer more of an inset I’ve to buy HBO Max sports. That deal is now worth £200m because it’s the content they want and the more content you have, the more interested they are in filling their library.

Its all hypothetical. But look at the WWE Network. If it was £10 a month for just PPV’s and month old TV, people wouldn’t keep it every month they would just pay for January, April, August and November. It’s all the library content. That’s where the money is because that keeps subscribers.

Fair points, but The WCW/Crocket library is surely on a different stratosphere of value by comparison to ROH? WCW a globally recognised brand and was one of the top rated shows in the US even in its dying days jam packed with top level superstars. 

I just cannot imagine anyone paying anywhere near $30m for ROH, it would take centuries to make that back on a bottom line from what it will give you in terms of new revenue. $30,000,000 is still a lot of dough in this day and age. Fair enough if someone has managed to get that type of money. 

Wcw should Have been sold for tens of million then, if that content was being sold now, as it has been as part of the peacock deal, it would Be been more than the ROH sale. Networks aren’t gonna nitpick to count how many necro butcher matches are in the thousands of hours, they just want to add thousands of hours of content to market at that high level. 

• Paid Members

You also have to take into consideration the absolute dogshit quality of the earlier years of ROH. They'd have to pay a load of money to remaster it. It looked shit back in 2004, let alone today. Even then that's not going to resolve the sound issues and the fact that you could never hear what anyone was saying when they did a promo. Plus, we're in a worldwide economic depression, which makes the figure even stupider.

Look, I liked a bit of early ROH as much as anyone before it became a haven of barricade slappers and nonces. But anyone wearing specs reading this thread and justifying this figure must have them in pink.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, IronSheik said:

Fair points, but The WCW/Crocket library is surely on a different stratosphere of value by comparison to ROH? WCW a globally recognised brand and was one of the top rated shows in the US even in its dying days jam packed with top level superstars. 

I just cannot imagine anyone paying anywhere near $30m for ROH, it would take centuries to make that back on a bottom line from what it will give you in terms of new revenue. $30,000,000 is still a lot of dough in this day and age. Fair enough if someone has managed to get that type of money. 

But when WCW went under there were fewer ways to effectively monetise that video library. Now, every TV network and streaming service just wants hours and hours of content, and that's what they will get from this deal. I'm not a ROH guy - barely ever watched it, in fact - but if AEW sign an on-demand deal for their video library, I imagine they will make considerably more than $30 million out of that, and they wouldn't be able to achieve that if all they had to offer was three years' worth of pay-per-view events. 

• Paid Members
Just now, BomberPat said:

But when WCW went under there were fewer ways to effectively monetise that video library. Now, every TV network and streaming service just wants hours and hours of content, and that's what they will get from this deal. I'm not a ROH guy - barely ever watched it, in fact - but if AEW sign an on-demand deal for their video library, I imagine they will make considerably more than $30 million out of that, and they wouldn't be able to achieve that if all they had to offer was three years' worth of pay-per-view events. 

This is it in a nutshell. Just because it sounds like a lot of money to us because it is, for what it’s worth to content providers it’s a steal

• Paid Members

This is super limited knowledge, so is likely very flawed, but form my limited experience of this level of company ownership acquisitions aren't really about making it back on the bottom line. What they've acquired is an asset 'worth' $30M, with very little post-acquisition costs from the looks of it (no continuing contracts afaik, tape library is presumably stored digitally these days which isn't as pricye to maintain as it used to be, etc), on the surface also seems like there's little depreciation going on (brand can be kept valuable, library of content doesn't necessarily depreciate over time, so just the physical stuff like production equipment).

So, while not publicly owned, Tony Khan's AEW business can now be valued $30M higher for that expenditure, he can take low interest loans out against that valuation, if he sells the company in the future it would include those assets as part of its valuation etc. When you're at the money level of a Tony Khan those things are more important than just increasing the 'bottom line' revenue, especially when you're already turning a profit on a venture.

(NB: All my understanding of this was brief working crossover with Elliott Capital - an investment management company that stole an Argentine warship once - where revenue was a complete afterthought vs the company valuation. But that was in a publicly-traded company, part-owned by Elliott Capital, so this stuff may not apply at all, but went some way to explaining the outsized prices you see attached to acquisitions and the like)

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

You also have to take into consideration the absolute dogshit quality of the earlier years of ROH. They'd have to pay a load of money to remaster it. It looked shit back in 2004, let alone today. Even then that's not going to resolve the sound issues and the fact that you could never hear what anyone was saying when they did a promo. Plus, we're in a worldwide economic depression, which makes the figure even stupider.

Look, I liked a bit of early ROH as much as anyone before it became a haven of barricade slappers and nonces. But anyone wearing specs reading this thread and justifying this figure must have them in pink.

Exactly. It's honking quality, and some of the early venues look sub GCW these days.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Louch said:

Wcw should Have been sold for tens of million then, if that content was being sold now, as it has been as part of the peacock deal, it would Be been more than the ROH sale. Networks aren’t gonna nitpick to count how many necro butcher matches are in the thousands of hours, they just want to add thousands of hours of content to market at that high level. 

Everyone generally agrees that WCW was sold for way, way less than it was worth, especially in hindsight with what the network became.

The value in ROH isn't necessarily even in anyone actually watching it - it's in the business-to-business deal, where you just need to convince HBO or whoever that it's of value. And having fairly big matches from pretty much every big name over the last 20 years is the selling point. It's not just about the names that were around - it's about the names that are around now. It's going to the network that wants this, and being able to say 'You think CM Punk is a star? He's a draw for us, and not only will you get new CM Punk stuff, but we've got his pre-WWE stuff as well, that everyone generally agrees was great. And we're talking about it on PPV right now.'

WWE have shown that the important marks these days are the networks. That's where the value in this comes in.

• Paid Members
Just now, gmoney said:

Exactly. It's honking quality, and some of the early venues look sub GCW these days.

It’s also the debut and early appearances of Danielson, Punk, Moxley etc. The quality is less key then the footnote in history. Same way some of the early 80’s content on the network looks awful, but you’re watching history