Tony Khan Buys ROH

WyattSheepMask

Yeah, the Christian thing was a bit weird. If I remember right Big Show debuts and then makes the announcement there would be a signing at Revolution to show his insider cred. There were plenty of fantasy booking that Show was going to announce himself to heel it up.

The clues from TK were something along the lines of one of my favourite wrestlers and a Hall of Fame signing. Yet there were those that jumped to John Cena (he does shows for WarnerMedia don't you know!) or Batista (because???)

• Paid Members

Don't really understand some of the negativity here. ROH was on its knees, right? AEW has a roster that's too large to really fully utilise. Tony Khan is responsible for giving us a wrestling product that's actually worth watching. Therefore Tony Khan, owner of AEW, buying ROH can only be a good thing.

I also see comments all the time about Khan booking AEW like he's playing EWR. Why is that a put-down? I hadn't watched pro wrestling since about 2005 and yet the chat around AEW (and it's cross over with American Top Team) was enough to make me give it a try. I now genuinely look forward to new episodes of Dynamite each week and never miss an episode. If that's what booking like EWR looks like ... I'm all for it.

• Paid Members

Video Library, streaming patform, brand recognition for a potential "Brand extension/developmental system"?

5 hours ago, DCW said:

Is the upside basically the video library so? I hadn't thought ROH was anyway relevant beyond that these days. 

Video library is the main thing. I think it's value is somewhat overblown in terms of people watching the older content in full. The Honor Club already exists and while it doesn't have the full archive (rights issues and video quality). It's not exactly box office.

However, AEW can now use it for Docs on the likes of Danielson, CM Punk, the Rise of the Young Bucks/Bullet Club/All In/ AEW. Road To... video packages and the like. It's a cumulative gain over time type purchase.

As for an ongoing promotion? There's potential value there as well. It's been highlighted by the WWE/NXT distinction, an AEW/ROH split would more likely engage a fanbase of its own. If they just took the roster of an AEW Dark Universal taping and branded it as ROH with their titles and own storylines its more likely to hold a person's interest. It would also be good to break away from the AEW Rankings and overall booking style. Just imagine being able to book a DQ 🤯

I’m sure Sinclair only own the footage from when they took over. Before that belongs to Silkin does it not? It’s a weird deal with it anyway 

16 minutes ago, Louch said:

I’m sure Sinclair only own the footage from when they took over. Before that belongs to Silkin does it not? It’s a weird deal with it anyway 

They own everything. Look at how they put up the footage for the Hall of Fame videos as the most recent example. The problem is I don't think they like showing content from before the HDNet/PPV era before then it's not in HD. It also saw the shift to using licenced music to avoid the copyright issues.

The comparisons to WWE and NXT are odd to me. People managed to bullshit themselves into thinking they were NXT fans and not WWE fans, but I can't imagine there's much distinction between the ROH audience and the AEW audience other then there's a load more of the latter. And AEW basically squeezed itself through the little ROH hole and expanded it into something for more successful anyway. 

21 minutes ago, JimmyAnderson said:

Couple of months down the line we get the inevitable Blood & Guts match pitting the ROH originals against the AEW originals.

Punk, Danielson, Daniels, Cabana and a returning Samoa Joe against Omega, Bucks, Hangman and a returning Cody Rhodes.

so ROH originals vs ROH originals?

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, JimmyAnderson said:

Couple of months down the line we get the inevitable Blood & Guts match pitting the ROH originals against the AEW originals.

Punk, Danielson, Daniels, Cabana and a returning Samoa Joe against Omega, Bucks, Hangman and a returning Cody Rhodes.

I mean, booked right, that sounds great.

14 hours ago, Vamp said:

The comparisons to WWE and NXT are odd to me. People managed to bullshit themselves into thinking they were NXT fans and not WWE fans, but I can't imagine there's much distinction between the ROH audience and the AEW audience other then there's a load more of the latter. And AEW basically squeezed itself through the little ROH hole and expanded it into something for more successful anyway. 

It depends on what era of NXT that the comparison is being made. Reality show :) Hope not. NXT on USA? Hopefully no one is that delusional to think RoH is suddenly going to be on TBS/TNT. NXT national touring and Takeovers in arenas easily supplanting TNA/Impact as the 2nd biggest "promotion" in the US? Nah.

But that brief point in time when it was a Network exclusive FCW/OVW with a fresh coat of paint and pure WWE control. Maybe.

RoH was viable before it overreached with the money they were paying trying to compete. With a clean slate of the RoH roster, TK can take the Dark Universe that they're already paying. Stick them on HonorClub as a weekly RoH show with specials and probably pick up 10,000+ subscribers. Which means banking an extra $1m+ a year. Covering a lot of the costs, continues their talent development, and is an addition to the Dynamite-Rampage/BOTB-Dark:Elevation-Dark dynamic