Ukraine / Russian War

Loki

Probably one for the minor annoyances but news presenters/commentators suddenly pronouncing the Ukrainian capital  “Keev” instead of “Kee Yev” is doing my head in.  Especially in a bulletin where they said the Champions League final is moved to Paris and not “Paree”. Consistency, that’s all I’m asking for. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Someone in Hollywood just sat up straight in their seat.

It'll be optioned as a sequel to The Last Stand. 

4 hours ago, 69MeDon said:

How much money do they get when the image they project is self-important, tone deaf condescension? Probably even more.

If you find her message so objectionable perhaps you'd have been better off not publicising it more widely? 

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Probably one for the minor annoyances but news presenters/commentators suddenly pronouncing the Ukrainian capital  “Keev” instead of “Kee Yev” is doing my head in.  Especially in a bulletin where they said the Champions League final is moved to Paris and not “Paree”. Consistency, that’s all I’m asking for. 

If Putin has his way the russificated name/pronunciation will be making a comeback.

I don't really see how this ends without Ukraine having to surrender. It's an incredibly sad situation to see residents being given guns in Kiev to protect the city, in fact the speed that all of this has happened is frightening. Ukraine is not a small country and Russia has nearly overwhelmed it in a little over 24 hours. 

There seems little point sending guns/defences to Ukraine now as it will just end up in the hands of the Russians. There's not a chance that civilians, irrespective of how many there are, will defeat an organised and well supplied army. It might have worked previously but technology now means that wars can be fought all of the time and can destroy and terrorise civilians very easily.

If there is no troop involvement from other countries, which seems to be the case, I can't see anything other than a ceasefire where Ukraine will have to accept the loss of the 2 regions Putin has recognised and they'll also probably have to sign something saying they won't join NATO. I guess the only option is a continuing war where hundreds of thousands will die, but as I say due to the David vs Goliath nature of it, there will be no David defeating Goliath, probably won't even be able to lay a hand on him.

Edited by stewdogg

10 hours ago, chokeout said:

I'll chuck it in spoilers as I don't want to derail this thread 

Reveal hidden contents

Google bald and bankrupt exposed and there's a fair few links but the jist is that there's strong evidence that he was very active on pick up sites, along with other people that appear on his videos (Harold) for a long time and they all did some horrendous shit, were essentially sex tourists and have tried their best to delete or distance themselves from it all since getting more famous. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldAndBaldrDossier/comments/judnlm/is_bald_bankrupt_really_a_sex_tourist_and_a/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Whilst something always felt abit off about him, thats all so shocking. Good to know though. 

• Paid Members
On 2/25/2022 at 1:16 PM, Keith Houchen said:

I think that decision has been taken because that’s the Ukrainian pronunciation of it rather then Kee Yev which is the Russian way of saying it.

3 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Obviously football is massively insignificant at a time like this, but fair fucking play to the Polish FA and their players. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/feb/26/poland-will-refuse-to-play-russia-in-world-cup-2022-playoff-robert-lewandowski

That's a huge decision to make. 

Sweden have now refused to play Russia as well. Putin loves his football doesn't he? This probably annoys him more than the sanctions.

4 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I think that decision has been taken because that’s the Ukrainian pronunciation of it rather then Kee Yev which is the Russian way of saying it.

Yeah I get that but as I said they didn’t say Paris the way the nation says it. We’ve always called it Kee Yev and to stop now as some kind of anti Russian measure is daft. Not as daft as having actors do the voices for Sinn Fein but it’s still daft.