Ukraine / Russian War

Loki

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

This is going to be a fucking truly scary situation. I can't imagine it will take long for it all to escalate. And here's us thinking we were going back to normal after covid 

I doubt this is going to affect the day-to-day lives of people over here if that's what you're worried about.

Some of the mums on the playground talking about World War 3. Let's be honest, at absolute worst this will be a watered-down new Cold War.

• Paid Members

Putin knows he can do what he wants without any real trouble from the rest of the world sure he will be hit by sanctions but if he turns off the gas we will give up. No one is putting boots on the ground to help Ukraine.  I do however think he might have underestimated the ease of invasion and if they attempt to occupy Ukraine it will be a utter blood bath sadly.

It would be interesting to see what they average Russian thinks about this.  

55 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I doubt this is going to affect the day-to-day lives of people over here if that's what you're worried about.

Some of the mums on the playground talking about World War 3. Let's be honest, at absolute worst this will be a watered-down new Cold War.

I was thinking along these lines watching the situation develop. It's a lazy, stupid point - and it's obviously still an awful state of affairs - but some of those fretting about it are the same people who are tied to this mad This is England/"take me back to Castlemorton" romanticisation of the past. A bit of a Cold War redux should have them feeling right at home. It's proper devil-you-know news. 

In reply to @Suplex Sinner: I thought Western intelligence reckoned the plan will be to go and take Kyiv, install a friendly/puppet regime and then hang about as "requested by the Ukrainian government"?

Putin's speech last night was quite something. Just a long airing of grievances. Some of the stuff he said will have the likes of Poland looking sideways at Russia, if it weren't for the fact that Poland is in NATO.

Also: Putin wishes he's half the man Lenin was.

Also also: German's have said they're pulling the plug on Nord Stream 2.

Edited by 69MeDon

• Moderators

Ukraine's fucked, but harsh as it sounds, we'll be A-OK. They'll be thrown under the bus, and life will continue as normal. 

Except for the Ukrainians, obviously. And also I got to do some marvellous shithousery tonight by telling a young barmaid in a pub I was in that her fella will definitely be conscripted as we're definitely going to war and he'll be first to go over as he's in his early 20s.

After the tears and anxiety attack she had she saw the funny side. I think. 

• Paid Members
On 2/22/2022 at 11:04 AM, 69MeDon said:

In reply to @Suplex Sinner: I thought Western intelligence reckoned the plan will be to go and take Kyiv, install a friendly/puppet regime and then hang about as "requested by the Ukrainian government"?

That's accepted western thinking but it doesn't take account of what's really been going on in and around the region for the last 18 months. Western media has been hyping "imminent war" much more than even Ukraine has. It's a distraction tactic. A good war sorts out domestic problems.

Russia has occupied several friendly states in the region and carved up Ukraine which is what it's intentions (according to people on the ground there) wanted. 

A full scale war is of no benefit to Putin.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Suplex Sinner said:

Western media has been hyping "imminent war" much more than even Ukraine has. It's a distraction tactic. A good war sorts out domestic problems.

I think you're spot on here. There is absolutely propaganda on both sides, let's not pretend otherwise.