Ukraine / Russian War

Loki

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Is it because Man Utd wouldn’t be the best supported team anymore?

Don't worry, you'll still have two-thirds of your joke repertoire left

12 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

Well, shit...

Yeah I've been up all night working and watched it escalate. It's been awful too watch and see what is going on. 

They just said on the news 7 Ukrainian people have lost their lives to open shell fire. 

This is going to escalate in a pace no one could expect 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Kfogg1991 said:

To be fair, I think this is exactly what western leaders expected. They've been saying for a while that this is what Putin was planning, he's just been lying about it

1 hour ago, Kfogg1991 said:

Yeah I've been up all night working and watched it escalate. It's been awful too watch and see what is going on. 

They just said on the news 7 Ukrainian people have lost their lives to open shell fire. 

Yeah, my wife woke up and saw the news and, being Czech, got understandably a bit emotional reading about country being invaded by the soviets. 

It really is horrible. I used to work with a few Ukrainian people in a previous job and they were all very proud of where they came from and often spoke about how wary they were of the Russian presence in their country. 

The real thing to keep an eye on is the US election in 2024.

If Trump does go on to win, as is currently expected, then Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia and Poland in particular could be vulnerable.

Putin likely won’t invade a NATO country for now, but Trump is no NATO fan and likely wouldn’t commit to his legal obligations to defend other NATO countries.

At that point, yeah, we’re through the Rubicon and back in a world war level situation without the US.

Happy 2022 everyone.

Yeah that's a shocker for me. 2024 is a lifetime away in this mad, hypernormality political landscape. I know the ardent Trump support base have not gone away and that many of them have dug their heels in even more, but I can't imagine they'll be able to muster a bigger election turnout than 2020. That was their everything-and-the-kitchen-sink moment and they still bottled it against a sleeper like Biden. 

39 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Hang on, what? Seriously?

Runaway favourite currently, yeah.

Biden has lost the left of his party because of his inability to deliver any serious reforms, and the Trump right has been working hard to form a parallel reality of stolen elections and Putin sympathy.

A lot can change between now and 2024, obviously, but the current expectation is that the Republicans will regain power and that Trump will be their candidate.

Potentially the anti-Trump enthusiasm will ramp up pre-2024 and give Biden a shot in the arm, but currently he hasn’t got that to rely on and he was unable to deliver any major reform legislation. He’s in real, real trouble.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Runaway favourite currently, yeah.

Biden has lost the left of his party because of his inability to deliver any serious reforms, and the Trump right has been working hard to form a parallel reality of stolen elections and Putin sympathy.

Dont forget hes promised to pardon all the rioters from the insurrection if he gets in as they have been "treated unfairly"