Ukraine / Russian War

Loki

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah I get that but as I said they didn’t say Paris the way the nation says it. We’ve always called it Kee Yev and to stop now as some kind of anti Russian measure is daft. Not as daft as having actors do the voices for Sinn Fein but it’s still daft. 

Apparently (from Orla Guerin), the BBC changed to Kyiv in 2019, due to it being the native way of saying it, rather than the Russian localisation. I guess the same as Calcutta/Kolkata, Bombay/Mumbai in India

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah I get that but as I said they didn’t say Paris the way the nation says it. We’ve always called it Kee Yev and to stop now as some kind of anti Russian measure is daft. Not as daft as having actors do the voices for Sinn Fein but it’s still daft. 

When the country in question has specifically gone to lengths to clarify pronunciations/conventions and the reasons why, its really not.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

so why do we still say Cologne, Munich, and Paris?

Because we're an island of ignorant knuckle draggers.

Interesting point though. Why do we call it Munich? Munchen is a German place and doesn't seem like a word that would translate directly into English, so how did the name Munich come about? Same with many other places (and names for that matter). Our resident language expert @Ronniemight know the answer.

As for Cologne, my guess is that the name goes back to when it was under French rulership. 

9 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Because we're an island of ignorant knuckle draggers.

Interesting point though. Why do we call it Munich? Munchen is a German place and doesn't seem like a word that would translate directly into English, so how did the name Munich come about? Same with many other places (and names for that matter). Our resident language expert @Ronniemight know the answer.

As for Cologne, my guess is that the name goes back to when it was under French rulership. 

That's not really the reason we are knuckle daggers. Pretty much every language has translations for place names, Londra, Londen and Londres are examples.

Its generally only major cities that get translated, which I assume is due to the names coming about years ago. 

16 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Let's be clear here. Ukrainian officials are prioritising Ukrainian nationals. It's not about the colour of their skin it's about what is written on their documents.

As I understood from reading reports on Twitter (yes I know) some of those ARE Ukrainian nationals.

19 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Let's be clear here. Ukrainian officials are prioritising Ukrainian nationals. It's not about the colour of their skin it's about what is written on their documents.

Is that the same for Polish officials?

Plus there are reports from Indian media straight up mentioning that it's due to race.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I'm seeing multiple reports of Indians, Nigerians and other people of colour being denied entry into Poland by both Poland and Ukraine.

That really doesn't surprise me. At least by the Polish. I don't know any Ukrainians, but I know quite a few Polish. I've also been told by some Portuguese, East Timor and Nigerians that I know, that they wouldn't step foot in Poland by choice, based upon how they said they were treated by Polish people here in N.I. 

Edited by WeeAl

16 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Is that the same for Polish officials?

Plus there are reports from Indian media straight up mentioning that it's due to race.

Did you see that guy from the Bulgarian government say how these aren’t refugees we are used to because they’re European so we aren’t wondering how many are terrorists?  Of course, the UK commentariat are already saying pretty much the same, saying how this is happening in a civilised country. Give it a week or two though and they’ll pivot from I stand with Ukrainie to we simply can’t accept refugees and they should go to the first safe country. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I'm seeing multiple reports of Indians, Nigerians and other people of colour being denied entry into Poland by both Poland and Ukraine.

I’m not excusing what could be pretty heinous behaviour but isn’t it true that it’s only women, children and elderly that are being encouraged to flee? I’ve read that men of fighting age are being instructed to stay in Ukraine.