Ukraine / Russian War

Loki

• Paid Members

Well, yeah, obviously but that wasn’t my point. Without context that video might be showing, in what’s probably a very tense environment, border guards seeing men of a certain age approach and have prevented them from crossing, the probably didn’t think to ask what they’re undergrad was in. By all accounts, the Polish have been head and shoulders above everyone else in offering all kinds of support. Our Government have said Ukrainians can come here, as long as they can fill out the online form and agree to pick fruit. Let’s not lose sight of who’s doing what.

40 minutes ago, stumobir said:

Well, yeah, obviously but that wasn’t my point. Without context that video might be showing, in what’s probably a very tense environment, border guards seeing men of a certain age approach and have prevented them from crossing, the probably didn’t think to ask what they’re undergrad was in. By all accounts, the Polish have been head and shoulders above everyone else in offering all kinds of support. Our Government have said Ukrainians can come here, as long as they can fill out the online form and agree to pick fruit. Let’s not lose sight of who’s doing what.

Or if they're pork butchers bizarrely. 

6 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

Have the Ukrainians put up more of a fight than anticipated?

Yeah, much more. Russia were expecting them to just roll over and a lot of Russian troops were fresh recruits who had no experience and haven’t got a clue what’s going on. 

40 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Any truth to Kadyrov sending in troops to help Russia? One or two dubious looking places claimed he was offering bonuses for every Nazi captured.

Which I'm sure is in reference to a certain battalion.

Apparently so. 

If some twitter reports are accurate it does not seem to be going well for them. 

Nothing confirmed as far as I'm aware. 

2 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Speaking off... fucking hell. For anyone who doesn't know, he's a Muslim.

Somehow the fucking fist emoji makes it even worse.

I'm glad to have seen some discussion about things like this on here. Everywhere else, it's just completly uncritical flag-waving. Don't mention the neo-Nazi battallion, you Putin-sympathiser!

Edited by 69MeDon

14 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

Somehow the fucking fist emoji makes it even worse.

I'm glad to have seen some discussion about things like this on here. Everywhere else, it's just completly uncritical flag-waving. Don't mention the neo-Nazi battallion, you Putin-sympathiser!

Also, being anti NATO doesn't make you pro Putin, as seeing a lot of that floating about the last couple of days.

• Paid Members
On 2/26/2022 at 1:06 PM, PunkStep said:

Will be interesting to see FIFA's 'we don't get involved with politics' stance on the war with their reaction to this, which I fully expect to result in Russia being given a bye. 

Well they have surprised me by condemning the invasion on Ukraine, but of course stopped short of banning them. They've gone down the ICO route of 'you can't play under your flag! Ha, take that!'

Bit torn on this. I get that it's unfair that the Russian footballers suffer as a consequence, but what's the point in this 'punishment'? Especially if teams still refuse to play them, as is the case. 

Ukraine crisis: Russia told not to compete under national flag - BBC Sport

9 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Well they have surprised me by condemning the invasion on Ukraine, but of course stopped short of banning them. They've gone down the ICO route of 'you can't play under your flag! Ha, take that!'

Bit torn on this. I get that it's unfair that the Russian footballers suffer as a consequence, but what's the point in this 'punishment'? Especially if teams still refuse to play them, as is the case. 

Ukraine crisis: Russia told not to compete under national flag - BBC Sport

FIFA and UEFA have now banned all club and national sides at all levels.

Edit: Russians only. Thanks Keef.

Edited by SuperBacon