AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members

It’s a testament to this storyline that the unprotected chair shot didn’t even register in the moment. The euphoria completely clouded whatever critical eye I may have had. Home run.

If that lad ever returns from the Quantum Realm then they should triple whatever his fee was. Phenomenal.

That was probably the weakest pre-PPV Dynamite to date. There was just so little to care about. Had they hyped at all, in advance, that it was a three-year anniversary Dynamite? I appreciate that they're trying to hype a PPV, but I'd have been completely fine with them making a bigger deal about this, and popping in a video package of some kind, or a few short "best of" moments throughout the show. 

That probably wouldn't have mattered, had I cared more about what was going on. 

Punk/Hangman was decent, but it felt more to me like what you might do to start a feud, rather than what you'd do going into a PPV. Perhaps it's a longer term story, but they certainly could have done better at building to this match right throughout the feud. 

Wardlow/MJF was good as always, and I feel like the two of them were owed a show-closing moment at some point heading into the PPV. MJF, as usual, is the best thing AEW has to offer. That said, the real test for Wardlow will come after the MJF feud is finished. I know people love him on here, but he's been well protected, and I've personally not seen enough to have a firm opinion on what his upside actually is. We'll see...

EDIT: I totally forgot about the chairshot to the head - I hope that was gimmicked in some way. 

A tag team that I've never heard of attacking a tag team I don't care about (and FTR ,who I do like) is exactly the reason I'm worried about the build to Forbidden Door. While the team in question may be a big deal, I've no idea, it's going to be challenging for AEW to get those of us who don't follow New Japan to care about the vast majority of these matches. What are the long term consequences of each match? Why does it matter if a wrestler wins or loses? The most memorable feuds are deeply personal, and there doesn't seem to be much scope for that with this PPV. I suspect Dynamite is going to get worse for me, before it gets better. 

The Owen Hart Tournament feels similarly inconsequential. What does it matter who wins? What does it actually do for them? My guess is they'll have Cole and Baker both win, and maybe do some sort of couples angle with them after the fact. Maybe Cole and Baker vs Sammy and Tay, or Paige VanZant and someone else?

Still though, if they do the Owen Hart tournament again, there needs to be a prize - a title shot or something. The whole tournament just feels so pointless.  

Edited by RedRooster

Really good opener between Wardlow & Spears but if Spears can just walk out and grab a chair then there’s no reason for it to be in a Cage, but other than that it was job done and I hope they’ve got something big planned for Wardlow going forward.

You’re not a Wizard Chris, you’re Tim The Enchanter from Monty Pyton & The Holy Grail. Considering Regal’s love for old-school comedy, a hop-in from The Killer Rabbit would be appreciated. 
“You do not have what it takes Las Vegas to sing our song” - says noted lip-syncer Chris Jericho.

“Jeff Cobb and…….this other guy” oh JR

That Hardys promo was fucking horrific.

Red Velvet being in the Baddie Section yet still being named after a cake isn’t doing her any favours.

Had Kyle O’Reily been named the King of the Mountains? What were all those spots on his shoulders? 
At least we’re not getting Adam Cole’s Panama Shocked Face on Sunday. Joe should be absolutely smashing that dweeb though

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

“Jeff Cobb and…….this other guy” oh JR

I'm willing to forgive Ross on this one because "the other guy" was fucking dog shit. He blew nearly every spot he was involved in and looked like trash.

58 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

That was probably the weakest pre-PPV Dynamite to date. There was just so little to care about. Had they hyped at all, in advance, that it was a three-year anniversary Dynamite? I appreciate that they're trying to hype a PPV, but I'd have been completely fine with them making a bigger deal about this, and popping in a video package of some kind, or a few short "best of" moments throughout the show. 

That probably wouldn't have mattered, had I cared more about what was going on. 

Punk/Hangman was decent, but it felt more to me like what you might do to start a feud, rather than what you'd do going into a PPV. Perhaps it's a longer term story, but they certainly could have done better at building to this match right throughout the feud. 

Wardlow/MJF was good as always, and I feel like the two of them were owed a show-closing moment at some point heading into the PPV. MJF, as usual, is the best thing AEW has to offer. That said, the real test for Wardlow will come after the MJF feud is finished. I know people love him on here, but he's been well protected, and I've personally not seen enough to have a firm opinion on what his upside actually is. We'll see...

EDIT: I totally forgot about the chairshot to the head - I hope that was gimmicked in some way. 

A tag team that I've never heard of attacking a tag team I don't care about (and FTR ,who I do like) is exactly the reason I'm worried about the build to Forbidden Door. While the team in question may be a big deal, I've no idea, it's going to be challenging for AEW to get those of us who don't follow New Japan to care about the vast majority of these matches. What are the long term consequences of each match? Why does it matter if a wrestler wins or loses? The most memorable feuds are deeply personal, and there doesn't seem to be much scope for that with this PPV. I suspect Dynamite is going to get worse for me, before it gets better. 

The Owen Hart Tournament feels similarly inconsequential. What does it matter who wins? What does it actually do for them? My guess is they'll have Cole and Baker both win, and maybe do some sort of couples angle with them after the fact. Maybe Cole and Baker vs Sammy and Tay, or Paige VanZant and someone else?

Still though, if they do the Owen Hart tournament again, there needs to be a prize - a title shot or something. The whole tournament just feels so pointless.  

I see similar posts from you weekly, slating the show, all of similar lengths too.

For a show you clearly dislike, it’s weird how you definitely seek it out fairly quickly, and then write an essay about it equally as quickly. 

Very odd.

I thought it was a really decent show overall. They started strong with a belter of an opener and a great championship confrontation. Two banger segments for about an hour and a half of my time is fine by me. 

Hangman's patter did confuse me at first, I'm not going to lie. All I saw was someone taking on the responsibility of being the heel in the feud all of a sudden, but without really giving any decent reasons as to why. The more I thought about it though, it plays into his long term insecurities as a character and also serves as a handy sort of premonition that could prove him right if Punk gets the belt and goes on to be a dick with it. 

It's essentially a much spikier version of Highway to Hell, where you send both your top guys into the first encounter on neutral enough terms. It'll allow them to do a big rematch or two where you can then go for the blood feud stuff. Good shit. 

6 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

I thought it was a really decent show overall. They started strong with a belter of an opener and a great championship confrontation. Two banger segments for about an hour and a half of my time is fine by me. 

Hangman's patter did confuse me at first, I'm not going to lie. All I saw was someone taking on the responsibility of being the heel in the feud all of a sudden, but without really giving any decent reasons as to why. The more I thought about it though, it plays into his long term insecurities as a character and also serves as a handy sort of premonition that could prove him right if Punk gets the belt and goes on to be a dick with it. 

It's essentially a much spikier version of Highway to Hell, where you send both your top guys into the first encounter on neutral enough terms. It'll allow them to do a big rematch or two where you can then go for the blood feud stuff. Good shit. 

Agree 100% with this, was a great couple of segments that had me hooked, and even further sold on DoN.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

Had they hyped at all, in advance, that it was a three-year anniversary Dynamite?

It wasn’t. They had mentioned previously it’s AEW’s 3rd Anniversary leading up to last night, because 25th May was the first Double or Nothing, the first PPV and event they held.

17 minutes ago, Matthew said:

I see similar posts from you weekly, slating the show, all of similar lengths too.

For a show you clearly dislike, it’s weird how you definitely seek it out fairly quickly, and then write an essay about it equally as quickly. 

Very odd.

You clearly haven’t been reading the Raw thread for the last decade. It’s common practice on here to hate watch. 

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

I'm willing to forgive Ross on this one because "the other guy" was fucking dog shit. He blew nearly every spot he was involved in and looked like trash.

He saved a little girl from being abducted earlier this year, so I think we can forgive his one botch last night (I'm not counting the sloppy claw slam as that was all on Trent for jumping too early). I'm not the biggest O-Khan fan either, but it's difficult for me to critique him so soon after that. Give it another few months when I'm back to watching New Japan again and I'll be in the relevant threads slagging him off for being a bore, but right now he's a hero to many.

Also (NSFW-ish):

Spoiler

Look at that happy face!

Dynamite was decent but I am less than hyped going into this PPV. The company have really cooled off over the past six weeks, and I'm beginning to slide into the "TK might need a little help" camp but I'll give him the rest of the year first.

Edited by Accident Prone

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

If that lad ever returns from the Quantum Realm then they should triple whatever his fee was. Phenomenal.

That was a mega dangerous spot - and they could have avoided it.  You could see earlier in the match when Spears was taking bumps into the cage that it wasn't set up properly, the cage wasn't tight up against the ring, so Spears had to catch the top rope on the way over to avoid disaster.

Then the let this guy take a powerbomb to it.  Unnecessary, and could have resulted in a serious injury with him landing on his head on the floor.

The last cage match in AEW they had it set up so that the cage was open ala Hell In A Cell on 3 sides, but up against the ring on the 4th side to allow these spots.  This time they just seem to have thrown it up carelessly.

Considering they're running an Owen Hart tournament at the moment, I would like AEW to take more care than this!

O’khan is everything everyone on here wants from wrestlers. Stops sexual assaults, loves his food and also has a random side hobby in taking pics of manhole covers.  

8 minutes ago, Louch said:

O’khan is everything everyone on here wants from wrestlers. Stops sexual assaults, loves his food and also has a random side hobby in taking pics of manhole covers.  

I might need more context for this. Since his appearance and this tweet are all I know of him.