AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

14 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

My worst fear for the Owent Hart Cup might well be happening. Adam Cole & Britt Baker winning. Instead of using the tournaments to create a contender for the World or TNT/TBS titles they go with as a power couple swanning about with these custom title belts that were made.

Just in time for Cody and Brandi to return to save the day. And everybody suddenly commenting that they always liked Adam Cole and felt the criticism of was way over the top.

1 minute ago, JimmyAnderson said:

Just in time for Cody and Brandi to return to save the day. And everybody suddenly commenting that they always liked Adam Cole and felt the criticism of was way over the top.

Not NXT enough for people. Johnny Gargano and Candice Le Rae.

Sammy and Tay in reserve.

Britt has seriously come off the boil, I think. She always seemed like she was riding a wave of momentum in a dead division anyway, as opposed to being the complete package, but her character's just gone nowhere in ages when it should have been developing and picking up more bells and whistles. I think a sympathetic babyface run again a better heel might do her the world of good. 

It feels like she's basically been going around with the other two doing "Talk to the hand and not the face" type stuff since forever. 

Minor gripe but her video's daft too. All those silly shots of her in a dentist's mirror covered in blood. It's both ridiculous looking and makes out like she's way more violent and sadistic than she is. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

52 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

My worst fear for the Owent Hart Cup might well be happening. Adam Cole & Britt Baker winning. Instead of using the tournaments to create a contender for the World or TNT/TBS titles they go with as a power couple swanning about with these custom title belts that were made.

What custom belts? 

Two things I really liked this week. Shawn Spears was ace in that cage match. He's been a superb support player to the MJF/Wardlow feud. That shot of him, half panic, half disbelief that MJF got cracked. Plus his knowing fate stare as Wardlow prepared to murder him. Totally out of options. Absolutely fucked. Grand. 

Regal calling 2.0 toss pots and it got everyone a bit giddy and they all started saying TOSS POTS about a dozen times. More grand. 

Edited by Chili

I enjoyed the Wardlow/Spears/MJF cage match and boy is Wardlow over.

The only thing is a feel there was a slight missed opportunity. How it all panned out was just a minor variation of the same thing that always happens. 

Babyface overcomes the seemingly impossible odds due to miscommunication from the heels and a referee run it.

Now we need either Wardlow to lose some steam losing to MJF (even if via shenanigans) or we have MJF lose right off the back of losing to Punk and his build for me will stagnate a little.

What I'd have loved to have seen was something a little different. Right off the bat Wardlow takes out Spears with the chair then goes for MJF. MJF tells him if he touches him he gets DQ'd and doesn't get his match as he slowly realises he doesn't even want or need the match, he just wants to get his hands on him and he now has him in a steel cage with his only mate unconscious.

Wardlow leathers him, has MJF release him from any contract or tie he still has as he begs him to stop. Gives him a few more powerbombs for good measure then exits the cage a free man.

Nobody needs to take a loss and we save the eventual match for some point down the line as unfinished business and a part built feud already in place for when MJF inevitably gets the title.

2 hours ago, Jonny Vegas said:

I enjoyed the Wardlow/Spears/MJF cage match and boy is Wardlow over.

The only thing is a feel there was a slight missed opportunity. How it all panned out was just a minor variation of the same thing that always happens. 

Babyface overcomes the seemingly impossible odds due to miscommunication from the heels and a referee run it.

Now we need either Wardlow to lose some steam losing to MJF (even if via shenanigans) or we have MJF lose right off the back of losing to Punk and his build for me will stagnate a little.

What I'd have loved to have seen was something a little different. Right off the bat Wardlow takes out Spears with the chair then goes for MJF. MJF tells him if he touches him he gets DQ'd and doesn't get his match as he slowly realises he doesn't even want or need the match, he just wants to get his hands on him and he now has him in a steel cage with his only mate unconscious.

Wardlow leathers him, has MJF release him from any contract or tie he still has as he begs him to stop. Gives him a few more powerbombs for good measure then exits the cage a free man.

Nobody needs to take a loss and we save the eventual match for some point down the line as unfinished business and a part built feud already in place for when MJF inevitably gets the title.

One problem with that is you then lose the one match off the Double or Nothing card that people actually want to watch.

8 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Ricky Fucking Starks is the man, isn't he? He came across better than any of the former NXT guys ever have in just that one match, he's painfully under pushed and should be one of the pillars.

Yeah Starks is great. 

Find myself wondering if his neck is still bothering him which might explain why he's on commentary so much and doing a lot of tag matches. 

Wardlow has to beat MJF. He needs it.

It will also work for MJF moving forward. Especially if Punk wins on Sunday. Punk teasing him about not being able to challenge due to the losses etc. Keep building to their inevitable title match (which will be awesome) MJF is all momentum anyway. He can easily bounce back in a new feud in which he goes over.

That Hangman promo was weird. As someone said, it really only makes sense if Punk wins and switches full on heel mode lauding it up. Otherwise it was just another disappointing Page segment. He really just doesn't work as Champion for me. I like him, but cannot take it seriously. He needs something else. I can't help thinking he's never really recovered from going away on Paternity when he was white hot and so was the company. It was for a good reason and I would never say he was wrong to, but timing is everything.

Let Joe win the Owen Cup and lets go JOE V Punk for the title.

• Paid Members

I really liked this show, although it felt like the show before the go-home show rather than the go-home show it should have been.

- MJF/Wardlow/Spears was just all absolutely perfect. Wrestling at it's most simple and best. MJF's rocking the HBK guest ref tiny shorts being a highlight. Wardlow just looked like a killer and the biggest star in the world. Spears has also been great in this role for months now, massively underrated.

- Punk/Hangman segment was weird. Both men were off. The delivery of the material was absolutely top notch but the content was weird and confusing. Stuff like this is where you think "hey maybe it's ok to use writers sometimes". The punch was a great moment and felt big, it's a shame the lead up to it was a bit pants.

- Jericho is a WIZARD! I absolutely love this gimmick, it's just ridiculous and works perfectly. 2.0 with their switchblades, leather jackets and 50s greaser heavy act is hilarious. Kingston/Mox vs Private Party was good although as usual for all Dynamite matches was too long and Mox sold too much for Private Party. This match and the brawl after got me excited for Arena Anarchy which will no doubt be great fun. Have Danielson and Jake Hager ever wrestled? I think that match would actually be awesome.

- FTR vs Roppongi Vice was a perfectly fine match but didn't really feel like something to put on the go-home show. Everything should be geared towards hyping the PPV, introducing new acts (who botched almost everything) isn't what you should be doing at this point. Save new stuff for post PPV! Amazing how good Dax hardwood is considering his body looks like it's falling apart at the seams. 

- 3 way match and segment was tremendous fun. Starks in particular really shined and I'm liking Swerve more by the week. The big lads destroying each other at the end got me hyped for the tag title match.

- Oh great, the Scorpio Sky/Lambert/Sammy thing is still going strong. Kill me now.

- Britt Baker needs to fuck off for a bit. She seems to be regressing as a wrestler. Every match she has had for the past six months seems to be worse than the one she had before and her act is TIRED.

- I really enjoyed Joe vs KOR. Out of the UE dickheads KOR is the least terrible. He wrestles like a nasty little cunt and against an opponent who can take it then dish it out he's a fun watch. Both guys hammered the shit out of each other and Joe looked like a vulnerable but very dangerous beast. I'm dreading Cole winning this thing on Sunday.

So overall, I'm more excited for Double Or Nothing than I was previously after this but I'm definitely not as excited as I have been for previous AEW PPVs. I'm sure it'll be a cracking, if overlong, show.

1 minute ago, LaGoosh said:

- Britt Baker needs to fuck off for a bit. She seems to be regressing as a wrestler. Every match she has had for the past six months seems to be worse than the one she had before and her act is TIRED.

I think both her, and Cole, need to turn face; perhaps after winning the Owen Hart tournament. Cole/Baker vs. Tay/Sammy could be fun (or a complete trainwreck). I know Cole isn't popular on here, but ultimately, he's going to be around for a long time, so they're going to have to do something with him, and what they're doing right now clearly isn't working. They need to try something different, and they absolutely need to keep him away from Fish and O'Reilly. 

Baker, on the other hand, feels like she's done everything she can as a heel, and the most interesting feuds that she can have right now would be as a babyface. Britt Baker vs. Jade Cargill, for example, is very appealing.