AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

29 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

I might need more context for this. Since his appearance and this tweet are all I know of him.

He stopped someone from trying to abduct a very young child from a train station. Was given a lotta coverage I. Mainstream news and tv shows in japan. He even plugged watching new Japan while he subdued the attacker 

2 hours ago, Matthew said:

I see similar posts from you weekly, slating the show, all of similar lengths too.

For a show you clearly dislike, it’s weird how you definitely seek it out fairly quickly, and then write an essay about it equally as quickly. 

Very odd.

I think it's fair to watch and have criticisms. The bar has been set so high so often that there'll always be times where things just aren't as good or aren't working etc. But people still care enough to watch properly.

I don't think that's the case with WWE. People may keep up with it and watch the occasional clip or PPV but a lot have fallen away from regularly watching it because it's just not worth their time.

2 hours ago, Matthew said:

I see similar posts from you weekly, slating the show, all of similar lengths too.

For a show you clearly dislike, it’s weird how you definitely seek it out fairly quickly, and then write an essay about it equally as quickly. 

Very odd.

I actually think it's far stranger for someone to expect there not to be conflicting opinions on a wrestling show, and to be bothered enough by that to post about it. The UKFF would be a very boring place if we were all just posting in agreement. If you disagree with my criticisms and you're not just being tribal, that's fine. That viewpoint is just as valid as my viewpoint. 

I don't "clearly dislike" AEW, I'm generally very positive about it, but I have been negative about aspects of it in the run-up to Double or Nothing, and that's because I think the build-up has been weak. Clearly, I'm not alone in thinking that. However, there are enough aspects of the show that I do like for me to keep watching - MJF/Wardlow, for example. 

Wrestling, as I assume you'll know, is a unique beast in that even when it's bad, the knowledge that it can quite quickly get good again keeps you watching. That said, I don't think AEW is bad at the moment, it's just a bit weak. There's a lot less in the way of compelling story than there usually is, and it's the story that keeps me watching. 

Compare the build to this PPV to the last one - you had Kingston/Jericho, MJF/Punk and Moxley/Danielson. You also had (if I'm remembering correctly) a super-fun feud between Hook and QT Marshall. This time round, the only story that is truly gripping me is MJF/Wardlow. If story is your priority, it would stand to reason that you might feel a bit cold about this PPV build. 

Edited by RedRooster

To agree with red rooster this has been the worst quarter since xmas 19 time. I really haven’t properly enjoyed a whole  show in a while, I don’t hate them but there’s too much happening with too many people that I either didn’t care about or don’t see fleshed out to start to care about. 

MJF and wardlow stands out as it’s fairly simple and 3 wrestlers involved. Opposite side of that with the best tag roster in decades we have two teams in the title match that are singles guys.

The ROH titles should be kept on elevation or Rampage, I’m guessing they are there to say “look ROH matches get xxx rating” to try and get them tv time. ROH never got anywhere close to a million watching or ten thousand in an arena(bar njpw msg which was fuck all to do with ROH) , so please stop forcing people who liked your new better product to watch their shite.  

I’ve started letting the adverts play out as I watch a show as otherwise nothing gets time to breathe. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I can't imagine Kenny is at all happy with New Japan in general, the stuff with Ibushi took a really fucking dark turn recently.

The Ibushi stuff has completely soured me on Forbidden Door. Other than maybe Okada, he was the one guy I’ve been most excited about one day seeing jump over. Last time I watched New Japan he was easily their best worker and the one guy I was most invested in. Whilst it’d never happen, if it was choice right now I’d much rather he gets his release and AEW work with him rather than New Japan.

Fuck the idea of Ospreay coming in, too. It gets worse and worse!

4 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Have I missed something? I honestly didn't get Hangman's promo, it felt like it came out of nowhere. I get that he could be insecure about big names like Punk coming in but it felt off.

Quoting myself but...

I can imagine this being a long term thing with Punk gaslighting Page and the fans/company, almost like Sting and "face" Hogan in TNA but from a much more realistic point. The workers rights line is really sticking in my mind and with how Punk's work the abortion rights shirt and his general being "right on". Adam can see this being completely performative but obviously Punk will turn it around and accuse Hangman of being more and more insecure and paranoid.

15 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I can imagine this being a long term thing with Punk gaslighting Page and the fans/company, almost like Sting and "face" Hogan in TNA but from a much more realistic point. The workers rights line is really sticking in my mind and with how Punk's work the abortion rights shirt and his general being "right on". Adam can see this being completely performative but obviously Punk will turn it around and accuse Hangman of being more and more insecure and paranoid.

I am definitely wondering if the end result is a heel Punk as champion, particularly if the apparent situation with MJF is as fraught as has been suggested. 

I do think they missed a trick by not having Page recreate the pipebomb - not necessarily burying Punk, or telling home truths, but delivering his promo sitting on the stage, with his legs crossed, sounding confident as opposed to paranoid. If they move on from Punk/Page after this match, the way they've told this story is even more baffling - like you, I felt like there's a chapter of this story that they'd forgotten to tell. Perhaps they were too subtle for their own good with this one. 

1 hour ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

Meltzer has made some vague suggestions that there is more to Punk/Page than meets the eye and compared it to Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels.

Havent the faintest idea what he is on about as I simply cannot listen to Dave without falling asleep lately. 

If we get another Montreal.. 😩