AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

CM Punk quickly needs to audit his offence and make changes.

I know everyone was happy to pass off him looking knackered as part of the grizzled veteran act, but I think part of it was he’s knackered. And, he’s getting worst. 

I don’t think it’s his fault. He’s in his 40’s and is a normal, not freakishly athletic bloke. He just needs to stop with the springboard shit.

I love him to pieces, but he can’t become embarrassing. There was a nice balance for a while where his exhaustion played into the character and enhanced the matches, but the constant flubs need to be worked round.

• Paid Members

Yep, considering aswell that he's in a company with some of the best high flyers in the world there's just no reason for him to try any of that springboard shit because even if he hits it, it looks rubbish in comparison to whatever Fenix, Darby or Sammy will do on the same show.

That was a real return to form for AEW. It was one of those shows that I just didn’t want to end. 

While I agree with @Supremo about worked shoots generally being a bit shit, I definitely sit in the @Fatty Facesitter camp when it comes to the MJF promo, to the point that I genuinely wondered, after he said ‘fucking’, if he’d crossed a line that he hadn’t been permitted to. Of course he didn’t, but in the moment I was so engrossed that I believed every word he was saying.

His delivery was so phenomenal that you didn’t need the context of the last weekend to be brought along for the ride. I also think the lines that could be seen as fourth-wall breaking could easily be rationalised in the context of the AEW world. The ‘dropping on heads’ line? He doesn’t need to resort to extremes to win - or put his body on the line - he’s that damn good. The stuff about people underestimating his ability as a wrestler? People assumed he was all bark and no bite. 

The only line that is a bit inexplicable I’m a storyline sense is the claim to be speaking ‘as Maxwell Friedman’, but in isolation I think it’s fine. It works for those who understand what it indicates, is innocuous enough to ignore for those who don’t. 

And it’s so damn intriguing as to where this goes next. Is he going to disappear for a while? Or is he going to appear each week; and if so, what will he do? Has he signed a new contract? I suspect so, and I also imagine that we won’t find out until 2024, as MJF threatens to leave with the title. 

13 minutes ago, Louch said:

punk was a sloppy mess again, this is his Hogan 2002 title run so far 

Oh come on, he’s only held the title for a few days! I loved the opening match, the crowd reaction made it an absolute blast to watch.

For me, Punk’s return has been one of the best comebacks in wrestling ever. I’m loving pretty much everything that he does. The positives far outweigh the negatives.

No one has mentioned it yet, but the Cargill/Stokely pairing already looks like an absolute masterstroke. Never mind MJF, if Jade Cargill doesn’t get a massive pay rise soon, Tony Khan is insane. I have absolutely no idea who will eventually beat her, no one seems on her level at this point. She’s absolutely brilliant, and if she keeps being this entertaining for the rest of 2022, she will easily be one of my votes for wrestler of the year at the UKFF Awards. 

Edited by RedRooster

Punks return has definitely been incredible, but it’s just now his performances are starting to turn. It’s easy to fix though, he just needs to audit his offence as his act isn’t reliant on flipping and spring boarding.

On the MJF thing, fine in a vacuum I think. But, he’s a heel. He had a hot crowd wanting to boo a heel character and he turned it into cheers. I’m not sure that’s great.

That said, fairly sure this ends in MJF winning the title so it’ll probably be fine.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Yep, considering aswell that he's in a company with some of the best high flyers in the world there's just no reason for him to try any of that springboard shit because even if he hits it, it looks rubbish in comparison to whatever Fenix, Darby or Sammy will do on the same show.

Punk seemed to hurt his knee during his jump into the crowd. He was limping later on and I’d like to think that was the reason. If I’m wrong, yeah stay off the top rope stuff for now. 

Is that the first over-run in a Dynamite? Crowd were hot all night, the matches were all decent. GREAT to see Miro back as well. Absolute all killer no filler episode for me, show was just relentless.

Just now, d-d-d-dAz said:

On the MJF thing, fine in a vacuum I think. But, he’s a heel. He had a hot crowd wanting to boo a heel character and he turned it into cheers at times. I’m not sure that’s great.

It depends on what the plan is. If the story really is that Punk is a villain pretending to be a hero, having MJF slowly switch up his act, before emerging as the company’s top babyface could work extremely well. If the plan is to keep MJF heel, he’s certainly good enough to do that. Perhaps he wins the title at All Out, and refuses to even wear it, meaning that we don’t see the belt again until someone unseats him as champion. Regardless, MJF feels like the biggest thing in wrestling right now, so I’m really excited to see where this goes.

1 minute ago, RedRooster said:

It depends on what the plan is. If the story really is that Punk is a villain pretending to be a hero, having MJF slowly switch up his act, before emerging as the company’s top babyface could work extremely well. If the plan is to keep MJF heel, he’s certainly good enough to do that. Perhaps he wins the title at All Out, and refuses to even wear it, meaning that we don’t see the belt again until someone unseats him as champion. Regardless, MJF feels like the biggest thing in wrestling right now, so I’m really excited to see where this goes.

I think all the signs point to MJF circling back to Punk at some point. Which, ultimately, is good for everyone.

• Paid Members

There’s a great symmetry to MJF cutting a pipe bomb on the promoter and CM Punk being the guy to defend the company. You’ve become everything you hate. You’re a dynasty. You are the New York Yankies.

Max is going to get his release, win that belt on his last night and then kiss this company goodbye.

But yeah. When Dynamite taps into that crazy 90s energy it’s always a top tier episode. Between his performance at the post-PPV press conference and then watching this show? I am absolutely convinced Tony Khan is on a coke bender and hasn’t slept in a week.

Edited by Supremo

19 minutes ago, Supremo said:

There’s a great symmetry to MJF cutting a pipe bomb on the promoter and CM Punk being the guy to defend the company. You’ve become everything you hate. You’re a dynasty. You are the New York Yankies.

Max is going to get his release, win that belt on his last night and then kiss this company goodbye.

Tony Khan’s ringside. MJF blows the kiss. The camera pans back to Tony but… what’s that… Tony’s telling a guy ringside about his new business idea? Whys he speaking so fast? Whys he chewing his own cheek?

I’m watching as I go, and in the segments immediately following MJF’s promo you have John Morrison vs Rusev, Jericho, Regal, Jack Swagger, Samoa Joe, Christian and The Hardy Boys.

I mean, way to prove his point.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

I'm mixed on the promo but fair play to everyone for turning what probably was a shit situation into a really hot segment that people are talking about. A great bounce episode after the PPV. Hopefully the momentum starts again. Punk as champion gives the show a bit of something