AEW Rampage Thread 2022

dopper

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It's not a good look for the Ring Of Honor Pure champion to be either losing in bloodbaths or eking out the fluke win in 6 man tag matches on AEW TV. I get the story behind it, but how much of this AEW TV audience do we reckon watched the ROH show to see Yuta win the belt? Or is it suddenly "why does that jobber have a title belt now? Why would I want to watch a wrestling company with these jobbers in it?"

This seems like a weird complaint. Wheeler didn't come out with the RoH title, wasn't announced as the RoH Pure Champion and the graphic didn't even show ROH Pure Champion.

Any reference to RoH had to come through the commentary. Which was Regal, Taz, and Excalibur going on about all the little things you're supposed to do to gain a technical advantage over their opponents. The finish was Yuta luring Gunn into a mistake then rolled him up into a pinning situation that allowed him to keep the bigger man down for a 3 count and the win. It was a brains over brawn story.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

As soon as Hangman put the barbed wire on Cole's head, I knew Americans were going to lose their minds on Twitter because it was Good Friday and it was sort of similar to a crown of thorns.

Kurt Angle won’t be signing anytime soon then

29 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I think it’s got to be Punk next for Hangman. They’ve downplayed the teasing of it, but Punk’s been handily beating decent level guys for a few weeks, he’s made the belt motions, neither have anything obvious lined up… when’s the next PPV? 

May 29th, so presumably the build-up for whoever the next opponents is will have to start quickly. I imagine that Punk will state his intent on Wednesday, then get sidetracked by a bitter Adam Cole. For Page, there’s no shortage of options - but if Miro’s fit, he seems like a good choice. The sooner they get to a lengthy MJF title reign, the better, though. I’m absolutely itching to see that. MJF has the potential to have an all-time great title reign, when you look at the potential opponents and his ability on the mic and in-ring.

Hangman is brilliant. If anyone should get blamed for his title reign being 'weak' it's absolutely not on him. Everyone one of his title matches, an absolute banger. He's five months into his reign and I genuinely think him winning or losing whenever that happens has some great character intrigue. (I'd prefer it a while to be honest). The nice thing with his reign is you don't know who is gonna have his number. Unlike the Kenny reign which the only people who didn't want the Hangman pay off were weirdos anyway. 

Edited by Chili

Dunno how anyone can be angry at the ROH pure title holders role, when I doubt more than a handful of people could name the last 3 holders of it. 

Edited by Louch

• Paid Members

The point is that with no RoH TV to watch some people's only exposure to him is AEW's television, so for apparent perennial loser Wheeler Yuta to suddenly turn up on Rampage with another company's belt on it could be received in a fashion similar to when Jarrett turned up as the NWA North American Champion in the WWF back in the 90s. 

I think its treat that Tony Khan views him as worthy of a title whose lineage includes Danielson, Samoa Joe and Nigek McGuinness, and I'm sure if I went hunting for more of his matches on the Internet, like I did with Daniel Garcia, I'd find plenty to back up that decision but if I was only watching Rampage & Dynamite each week and suddenly the one that always lost from Orange Cassidy's group was swanning about like a big deal with a title belt my first thought would be "what the heck no-name must have had that belt to have dropped it to him?". It could be a big job making him look like a big deal now, and I'm sure it's going to be done because he's obviously talented, but it feels like it'd make more sense if he'd done the BCC stuff first, THEN turned up on AEW TV as the RoH Pure champion because then there's the element of "this association is paying off already, that guy used to be a loser and now he's won a title.". 

Like i said, some of it comes across as griping for the sake of griping, but the casual viewers of AEW can conceivably have those kinds of concerns. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

The point is that with no RoH TV to watch some people's only exposure to him is AEW's television, so for apparent perennial loser Wheeler Yuta to suddenly turn up on Rampage with another company's belt on it could be received in a fashion similar to when Jarrett turned up as the NWA North American Champion in the WWF back in the 90s. 

I think its treat that Tony Khan views him as worthy of a title whose lineage includes Danielson, Samoa Joe and Nigek McGuinness, and I'm sure if I went hunting for more of his matches on the Internet, like I did with Daniel Garcia, I'd find plenty to back up that decision but if I was only watching Rampage & Dynamite each week and suddenly the one that always lost from Orange Cassidy's group was swanning about like a big deal with a title belt my first thought would be "what the heck no-name must have had that belt to have dropped it to him?". It could be a big job making him look like a big deal now, and I'm sure it's going to be done because he's obviously talented, but it feels like it'd make more sense if he'd done the BCC stuff first, THEN turned up on AEW TV as the RoH Pure champion because then there's the element of "this association is paying off already, that guy used to be a loser and now he's won a title.". 

Like i said, some of it comes across as griping for the sake of griping, but the casual viewers of AEW can conceivably have those kinds of concerns. 

I think your over analysing again. You’ve said before you only watch Rampage and Dynamite and not the Dark shows. He’s had wins on those. His TV loss matches for the last few months haven’t been squashes. He had a great one with Danielson, a stonker with Mox as well and played up Regal, whose interest in you makes you seem a big deal. He then won the belt in a match he looked strong in. His booking from the weak link in Best Friends to join the BCC as their project has been great. And I don’t think they need a load of video packages for people like yourself who choose not to watch. The matches, and commentary have been doing a fine job

37 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

He's been in company for less than a year. Painted as a top prospect since his debut. His singles matches on TV have been against Darby, Sammy, Wardlow, Cole, PAC, Danielson, and Moxley (x3). The only major squash in that was the sub one mintue first encounter against Moxley. None of those guys are scrubs and he's always been competitive.

The whole point of his story for the past month. Ton of potential, he's not taking himself seriously and if he did he could be the next big thing. He's now taking himself seriously and training with the best in the business. This isn't Lee Johnson randomly turning up on TV and getting a win after a long losing streak. I'd see it more like a mash up of The Kid and Kenta Kobashi.

2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Plus it only takes one breakout performance to turn a "loser" into something special. Not that I ever considered him that but he's certainly had his breakout moment now.

For me guys like Wheeler Yuta and Lee Moriarty have something about them. I wouldn't consider them the next main event type prospect, in the same way I don't see main event potential in Darby, Sammy, and Jungle Boy. However, those latter three are held a pretty high regard by the AEW fans and help seperate the company from the WWE by being seen as homegrown.

Not sure what they'll do to get there but Moriarty's taiga mask is going to be a top merch seller one day. We'll get sick of the sight of him handing it over to some young kid in the front row.

Seems like I'll always make time for Rampage when Moxley's on the card. He's a definite draw for me. I think it's safe to say he is on the run of his US in-ring career since the comeback. BCC vs Gunn Club was good fun and I've grown to love the Ass Boys. Nothing I like more than dorky stooging mid/undercard heels. They are hilarious. Billy was on good form too here, using his incredible size and physique but selling at the right moments. Not just gobbling everyone up like he did with Darby. The rise of Wheeler Yuta has been a great bit of business. I've even grown to love the cruddy pyjama bottoms. It's a weird dynamic, Bryan the heel, Yuta and Regal the faces and Moxley as the Wild Thing. And it just works.

God I love The Butcher. Legit one of the coolest, most badass looking dudes in wrestling history. Him vs Wardlow should be a sight. The Butcher squash and the uninterrupted (!) Dustin promo felt like TK booking specifically for me. Such a fantastic babyface promo is Dustin.

I was predisposed to dislike the main event. But nah, it was a blast. Cole gets a lot of stick, and deservedly so. But just like The Bucks, he does a fantastic job of showing arse and extinguishing any potential 'cool heel' heat and keeping the crowd alongside the babyface. The Hangman's been fantastic the last couple of weeks and he was back to his best here. Getting right in Coles face before the bell, taking a swig among the people and generally being an explosive asskicker. And Christ, that superkick that hardway cut up his jaw looked fucking brutal. Mad man. Page was getting so much of the offence here I was beginning to get legit worried there could be a title change, so good job with that. It's a minor thing, but I loved how he sat down on the chair in the middle of the ring and played to the crowd, before doing the usual and played to the hard cam.

Also, it warms my heart to hear how over Adam Page still is. I just wish they'd do a better job in making him feel important to the show. (And all the other current AEW champions too, frankly.) Hopefully the potential Punk feud remedies that.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash