AEW Rampage Thread 2022

dopper

Cody left to go build A buzz like Galloway did when he was away. Was doing all the same things. But always carried himself and wrestled like a wwe guy. mox has done everything he can to be the least wwe he can be. 

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, Louch said:

Cody left to go build A buzz like Galloway did when he was away. Was doing all the same things. But always carried himself and wrestled like a wwe guy. mox has done everything he can to be the least wwe he can be. 

Cody was Sports Entertainment in a wrestling company. I wonder how much of Jericho’s new gimmick is riffing on it?

Just seen the Mox vs. Yuta match - great stuff. Regal isn't half hammy though. I guess that might seem obvious but it worked for me in his comedy character - less so when he's meant to be the head of this violent group. I find him pretty cringey so far.

Rampage is live tonight with a special start time of 7pm EST. Which means midnight-1am our time :)

Hangman v. Page in a Texas Death Match for the World Title

Trios debut of the Blackpool Combat Club v. The Gunn Club

Ruby Soho v. Robyn Renegage in a Owen Hart Cup qualifier.

Battle of the Belts II will be taped after that. The card doesn't have any obvious upsets: Thunder Rosa v. Nyla Rose for the Women's Title, Scorpio Sky v. Sammy Guevara for the TNT title, and Jonathan Gresham v. Dalton Castle for the RoH World Title. Might not have to worry about spoilers from that unless they've got angles to set up.

On 4/12/2022 at 11:45 PM, Sphinx said:

Just seen the Mox vs. Yuta match - great stuff. Regal isn't half hammy though. I guess that might seem obvious but it worked for me in his comedy character - less so when he's meant to be the head of this violent group. I find him pretty cringey so far.

Can you expand? Genuinely interested as I've found his work in superb so far. We've not got much of him yet. 

9 hours ago, Chili said:

Can you expand? Genuinely interested as I've found his work in superb so far. We've not got much of him yet. 

I find him distracting. I know wrestling's theatrical but all his over the top movements in promos take me out of it. Look at Mox and Bryan sell Yuta after the Mox vs. Yuta match - Mox just has a face like 'wtf?', Bryan's on guard, then Regal comes in cooking his head to a side doing this big ol' grimace and a silly walk. After that match it took some credibility they'd built up away for me.

I'm fine with the exaggerated movements in a match as you're in a fight situation and reaching the audience in the back seats, or in comedy - and he's one of the funniest of all time in wrestling - but outside of that he comes across as an old timer play acting the role of hardnut boss.

• Paid Members

It's not a good look for the Ring Of Honor Pure champion to be either losing in bloodbaths or eking out the fluke win in 6 man tag matches on AEW TV. I get the story behind it, but how much of this AEW TV audience do we reckon watched the ROH show to see Yuta win the belt? Or is it suddenly "why does that jobber have a title belt now? Why would I want to watch a wrestling company with these jobbers in it?" 

The crowd sounded really quiet compared to the commentary at times. Reminds me of those old Saturday morning Smackdowns on Sky One where the commentary was dubbed over a sweetened crowd. 

Butcher squash did what it needed to. He's still going to get murdered by Wardlow on Wednesday night, though. 

Dustin Vs Punk? Yes please. 

I'd have been a little more concerned about Ruby Soho's chances in that match if they'd cut to the match in progress like they do with a lot of the matches, as opposed to Ruby getting her entrance in and being against "currently in the ring" Robyn Renegade. The whole perception of the match would have changed for me from "how weak does Ruby look struggling against this enhancement talent?" to "she might actually lose this." especially after the twin magic spots. 

Some nice spots in the last man standing match. Hopefully the Cole/Page thing gets put to bed now. I look forward to Frankie Kazarian getting his title shot if the rankings are anything to go by. 

• Paid Members

Enjoyed the BCC/Gunn Club six man - was expecting perhaps a *touch* more violence from Regal's clan - missed opportunity there for a great visual with Billy and his boys getting their heads kicked in at the same time. But it was another good showcase for Yuta and it whet the appetite for more BCC shenanigans moving forward.

@Sphinx is a good sort, but we need to chat about your disdain for Regal. He could read me the yellow pages and I'd hang on his every word. His patter with Tazz and Ricky Starks was great here. 

The Texas Death main had me absolutely wincing at times. Superb stuff - extremely important in further establishing Page as a credible champion too ahead of what seems like an inevitable showdown with Punk. I never expected the title change, but they did get me second-guessing the potential switch. And really, that's all you can ask for when you're watching the wrestling - that temporary suspension of disbelief makes all the difference. 

Another great hour of wrestling, this. I love watching Butcher squashes, and I was surprised at how good Ruby Soho's match was. There isn't a better hour of wrestling tele bell-to-bell all week at the minute. 

2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Was proper nervous they were going to do a title change so that was a huge relief. Cracking match with Page looking like a proper dominant Champion throughout. I love that man. Glad this feud is now put to bed.

That was about as stressful a match for me as I can remember, so it worked really well on that level. I really enjoyed it. The past two weeks of Rampage have been excellent, I hope it continues. It’s certainly washed away the sour taste left by the weak debut of Satnam Singh. 

34 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

So who's next for Hangman? MJF is busy with the excellent Wardlow feud, Jericho's doing his thing..

Is Miro set to return any time soon? I wouldn't mind seeing that.

I’d also like to see that. I think the Punk teases are a red herring, but we’ll see. I don’t think we’ll see Punk go for the title until MJF is champ. 

• Awards Moderator

I think it’s got to be Punk next for Hangman. They’ve downplayed the teasing of it, but Punk’s been handily beating decent level guys for a few weeks, he’s made the belt motions, neither have anything obvious lined up… when’s the next PPV?