AEW Rampage Thread 2022

dopper

30 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Not sure why? AEW finally hits Seattle and Danielson gets to work the guy he was willing to go on 205 Live to face.

Similar deal for Swerve getting to work AR Fox.

It’s not a surprise that they’re wrestling, but as a hometown match it’s pretty underwhelming. AEW has done some fun things with major wrestlers in their home turfs in the past, this is a bit of a dull choice. Perhaps they’ll do an exciting post-match angle with MJF though, time will tell.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

Not sure why? AEW finally hits Seattle and Danielson gets to work the guy he was willing to go on 205 Live to face.

Similar deal for Swerve getting to work AR Fox.

Because Tony Nese is boring and shite, that's why. Just because the wrestler wants the match, doesn't mean to say that's the match that should be booked. 

• Paid Members

It’s the Bryan Danielson conundrum. The bigger the fan you are of him, the worse you experience it. I love him. I think he’s the best wrestler of all time. I want to support him and cheer him on. But backstage he’s a little weirdo with no ambition whatsoever, actively campaigning to wrestle nobodies, lose to everyone and never win the belts. Tough times. 

When I heard the Seattle show announced I assumed they had something big planned. And then when Omega was announced for the Tokyo Dome I guessed they might do some type of talent swap and bring someone in from New Japan. Bryan in Seattle? It must be something huge!

Tony fucking Neese? Slap yourself. The only way to save this is if - just as the bell rings - Tony rips off his face like it’s a mask in the Mission Impossible films, revealing Kota Ibushi.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Bryan Danielson probably the most glaring case so far of being someone who without the WWE machine behind them just doesn’t get it. Maybe he did before they signed him but he’s such a WWE guy now that being a worker in a company full of workers just isn’t enough for him. All the charisma and character he had in WWE is gone and what we’re left with is the most boring man on the planet having matches with nobodies. 
I wouldn’t be shocked at all if he’s the next major name to go back there. There’s only so long you can avoid major feuds and angles before people just move on.

4 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Bryan Danielson probably the most glaring case so far of being someone who without the WWE machine behind them just doesn’t get it. Maybe he did before they signed him but he’s such a WWE guy now that being a worker in a company full of workers just isn’t enough for him. All the charisma and character he had in WWE is gone and what we’re left with is the most boring man on the planet having matches with nobodies. 
I wouldn’t be shocked at all if he’s the next major name to go back there. There’s only so long you can avoid major feuds and angles before people just move on.

Is it not more the case of him just not really wanting to get it though? He left WWE to wrestle guys in AEW and potentially from other companies too. I think that's all he wanted and really that's what he's doing. He's not looking to be over or a top guy or whatever else.

Danielson's "I just want to wrestle" attitude is fine if you've got a house show circuit for him to scratch that itch. They have their YouTube shows, but as much as Danielson says he's just there because he loves to work, he's no doubt on a hefty wedge which comes with the need to recoup that investment. Having matches with experienced nobodies isn't that. Having matches to train up and comers is meaningless unless your own star is protected and therefore worth beating. That means getting meaningful wins.

Punk may have been more overtly toxic, but Danielson may be a more subtle but still big problem. If he's not going to elevate and train AEW's future, then he's undermining himself and the company by treating it like a playground. When he's on, he's on, and he's brilliant. But he needs a kick up the arse.

Full Gear 21: World Title Eliminator Final v. Miro

Revolution 22: v. Moxley

Double or Nothing 22: Anarchy in the Arena

All Out 22: v. Jericho

Full Gear 22: ROH Title 4 way

Revolution 23: Likely AEW Title v. MJF

Omega, Hangman, Jericho all had meaningful TV matches as part of their feuds. Tournament matches are a bit of a cop out but add another Hangman, Jericho, Moxley, and got a match against Eddie. A proper feud against Eddie in the summer may have happened after Anarchy in the Arena if it hadn't been for the concussion.

Some of the matches against nobodies were part of storylines: Ran through the Dark Order to build to Hangman. Faced a bunch of "up & comers" early in the year to establish the BCC which led to Wheeler being added. Garcia & Sammy with others in JAS part of the dragged out BCC v. JAS.

What's going on now feels like it's going to follow on from typical MJF feud of an opponent having to earn the right to face him one on one.

Really fascinating to read your opinions on Danielson.  I’ve taken to simply skipping his matches now.  He’s just… boring.  

I think partly this may be due to my wants from wrestling as I get older.  We all go through phases of wrestling fandom - as a kid you like the big characters like Hogan or Cena, then as adolescents you like the blood and brawling, Foley off the Cell, then you have your IWC nerd phase where Benoit/Hero/Punk would be the biggest star in wrestling if they just gave him a chance etc etc.

I’ve gone full circle now.  I want big characters, big stories and big moves.  If rather see fat old Joe mullering Darby, or Wardlow power bombing MJF, than a 30 minute Danielson wrestling clinic or Moxley bleeding all over the arena for a random mid carder.

Without stories and feats of strength, wrestling is just men in pants pretending to hit each other.  And who wants to watch that

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Loki said:

I’ve gone full circle now.  I want big characters, big stories and big moves.  If rather see fat old Joe mullering Darby, or Wardlow power bombing MJF, than a 30 minute Danielson wrestling clinic or Moxley bleeding all over the arena for a random mid carder.

I've realised this exact point this week myself. I enjoy the pageantry and storylines more than the actual in-ring stuff now and I think that's possibly why I think Dynamite fell a bit flat for me this week with the two long matches to start the show. 

Although, I don't think I've enjoyed wrestling as a whole as I do now, in a long while. Accepting that there's going to be shit bits and good bits to every show has gone along way to finding my enjoyment again.

I find it hard to watch wrestlers who aren’t trying to entertain the fans but are working for their own amusement. For all we bemoan the wwe system of being old what to do, some seem to need it 

The best bits of Danielson was heeling it up on the way to Hangman and setting up the match with Mox at Revolution.

There are enough next generation/AEW own babyfaces on the roster. It should be the older generation playing the bad guy to get them over. Jericho did that in the beginning but to diminishing returns as the act grew stale.

Take one small adjustment: Danielson with Morrissey or Josh Woods as his muscle would have been far better than Nese/Moriarty doing the wrestling and Sterling/Stokely doing the talking.

Another enjoyable week of AEW TV. 

One thing that disappoints me though is that The Mogul Affiliates just seem to be another generic heel faction. With a name as lame as that I was kind of hoping that they would be some sort of cringe, influencer style ponzi cult.

Kip casually dancing past OC was great. Fuck the haters, he's perfectly fine as a cartoonish mid card villain.

Hell I'd give him a Honky Tonk Man, chicken shit run with the All Atlantic championship. Count out losses all over the place.

We need more cowards in wrestling, not just wrestlers who act shit scared in the build up but can suddenly go 50/50 with everyone on the roster once the bell rings.

Just a short video package of Jamie Hayter? BOOOOOOOOOOO.

1 hour ago, The King Of Swing said:

One thing that disappoints me though is that The Mogul Affiliates just seem to be another generic heel faction.

Just a short video package of Jamie Hayter? BOOOOOOOOOOO.

With Parker B being crap and the new guy green as grass, at the very least they aren't going to be a real group. They appear to have been picked purely for their look. Hopefully they don't do more than look mean in the background of promos and be smashed into/thrown about by whoever he's feuding with.

There were travel issues due to the weather. Hayter and some others couldn't make the event this week.