AEW Rampage Thread 2022

dopper

Got to the segment. Part of me was thinking this would be great for Winter Is Coming and make it feel like a massive deal. MJF's first defense and FTR's title shot people have been wanting for 6+ months.

Then out come the Gunns. Followed by Jarrett's crew. Then with a few days between Rampage and Dynamite it does all feel like an angle for something else. When it should be all about Acclaimed v. FTR.

• Paid Members

First time in weeks I had the enthusiasm to watch Rampage, this was a far better show than the crap card would have had you believe. I don’t know what the answer is, but I wish they’d make me want to watch more often because when I do it’s usually a good time.

Fun matches, good segments, hot angle to close the show. Perfect weekend-morning, eating-your-breakfast pro-wrestling TV.

A few quick thoughts….

Jeff Jarrett and Jay Lethal’s new tag finisher is fantastic. Jeff has single handedly saved that act. The day Satnam Singh turns and smashes them all up is going to be great. 

Fair play. Preston Vance looks the business in a suit.

Samoa Joe vs. Darby is brilliant match making. These are the exact type of matches I want to see guys like Bryan Danielson, Claudio and Samoa Joe having!

FTR and The Acclaimed facing off felt like a big deal, it’s just a shame they both have other feuds going on now, making it so obvious the match on Wednesday will likely be an angle.

That ROH pay per view looks rubbish. Why even bother anymore. Just unify the belts and exploit the tape library. That’s all that’s of any worth now.

So The Firm now have control of Matt Hardy and Private Party’s contracts? Fucking hell. Why is this still a thing? How long has this been going on? It genuinely feels like Matt and Private Party have been involved in contract issues for years at this point. Tell a different story. Please.

Danhausen dressed as a Lumberjack made me laugh. The Best Friends always bringing ridiculously violent weapons to fights is still funny, too. I hope one of them brings a gun one day.

Kevin Thorne just existing in the background, never acknowledged, is my jam.

What do you reckon Orange Cassidy gets paid? Whatever it is, it’s not enough. He’s the king of the feel good, house show-style main event. They genuinely got me with that one false finish after Kip Sabian interfered! Full transparency though; I couldn’t remember Kip Sabian’s name just now, so first had to type, “Penelope Ford’s husband,” into Google to remember it. So that’s how well Kip’s career is going at the moment.

The House of Black streak of being fucking awesome continues! What a turnaround for these lads! Less spooky bollocks and more wildly wrecking fools was the key all along! They can keep the red lighting though. They looked like top stars when they were all lit up in red. I hope they keep this up. House of Black vs. The Elite early next year could be phenomenal.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

A shame that would lead to more House of Black though. Which ultimately will lead to more spooky nonsense. Which will be shit. Keep Brody, allow the other two to go back to WWE. Everyone wins. 

On 12/2/2022 at 11:37 AM, Nick James said:

Spoiler for one of the most random AEW appearances yet as a lumberjack on tonight's episode: 

Reveal hidden contents

Kevin Thorne / Mordecai

Any mileage in a short run in the HoB? Could be a reasonable addition for a short time if anyone got injured.

Worst domestic rating in Rampage history: .08/361k

That's even worse than the BOTB specials that have been tossed out there with little effort. In its normal timeslot with no obvious issues.

The ratings are never going to be great, but they've got to do something to bring some meaning to the show. Actual stars in squash matches. No.1 contender matches between singles/tags where the result is unpredictable, or random gimmicks like the Royal Rampage/Golden Ticket Battle Royale.

Rampage is a mess. The BOTB comparison when Tony realised it would do shit and no one or anything that matter takes place on them so you get a self fulfilling prophesy of failure. It’s Friday night, audiences in the arena are fried after watching dynamite so film 30 mins max of wrestling and just fill it with fun stuff people wanna see at 10pm Friday. Gimme skits, gimme road too type background stories. gimme consequences. That they don’t care about Rampage was summed up by outta 7 matches the trios title is being contested over, not one is on that show 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Louch said:

Rampage is a mess. The BOTB comparison when Tony realised it would do shit and no one or anything that matter takes place on them so you get a self fulfilling prophesy of failure. It’s Friday night, audiences in the arena are fried after watching dynamite so film 30 mins max of wrestling and just fill it with fun stuff people wanna see at 10pm Friday. Gimme skits, gimme road too type background stories. gimme consequences. That they don’t care about Rampage was summed up by outta 7 matches the trios title is being contested over, not one is on that show 

Mad to think that Punk's return and Danielson vs Kingston took place on Rampage. No chance of anything that important being on it again. 

I actually love Rampage. It's a fun little show. Dark but with midcarders instead of jobbers. I wouldn't be against them changing it up to something like you suggest though. To have this roster and put out the cards they're doing for Rampage is mindboggling. Especially when they have proper stars on Dark Elevation which is taped on the same day! They'll have Kingston, Archer, Danhausen, Top Flight, Dark Order, Takeshita and Garcia on Elevation wrestling jobbers then put some mad shit like Tony Nese vs Preston Vance on Rampage. 

• Paid Members

Nice late reminder that if Jon Moxley isn’t your wrestler of the year then you’ve lost your damn mind. Phenomenal match with Takeshita, with a belting angle chaser with Hangman. Exactly what Rampage needs; that crazy, cocaine Dynamite energy.

I don’t think there’s any doubt anymore. The best way to move on from this Regal nonsense is to immediately disband the Blackpool Combat Club and turn Moxley heel. Let him go on the nasty, violent, murderous run he was destined for a year ago.

Only other noteworthy thing on this show was the undeniable chemistry between Mark Henry and Danhausen. They really made me laugh bickering over the, “it’s time!” line. Danhausen is the best.

Edited by Supremo

Jon how do you want to spend your BIRTHDAY??? Forget the birthday cake I just want another bite of Takeshita with a bloody war, followed by a bloody brawl. On the B show so I don't have to worry about the time.

------

Got to the main event and british Bobby Fish has an AEW logo on his towel. Please no!

-----

Maybe it was the feed I watched, but during Rampage did we actually hear from Ruby Soho & Tay Melo? All I saw was the announcement for Winter Is Coming. Keep in mind Rampage was taped this week and part of the publicity was hearing from the pair of them. Yet nothing from what I saw.

Edited by Infinity Land

• Paid Members

In wrestling there's good fat and there's bad fat. Good fat is your Vader's, Bam Bam's etc. Bad fat is your Kassius Ohno's.

Trent Severn is definitely bad fat. Get that prick the fuck off my AEW.

Mox/Takeshita and the Hangman angle were bloody ace.