I'm sure we had a thread about musicals being rubbish before...

Devon Malcolm

Yeah, Blues Brothers IS a musical because of the Aretha Franklin scene.  And it IS fucking ace, so @Arch Stanton point is good.  Whenever the characters are singing without there being a context for the singing (they're performing in a band or in a show etc) then it's musical theatre/tv.

I generally hate musical theatre (I think I'm the one person in the world who didn't enjoy Hamilton) but occasionally a musical film works - Viva Las Vegas is great for example. You can imagine Elvis singing his way through life to be honest.  You have to be properly warned in advance though - Mrs Loki didn't tell me La La Land was a musical, so when they started in on the singing I was well pissed off.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Actually Tommy's OK because Oliver Reed. 

I didn't mind Tommy, obviously, and admittedly haven't watched it in years but I'd second this.

However that bit where she's rolling around in baked beans that shoot out the wall on her like the front room has a bad case of diarrhea always lost it a million points with me. 

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Loki said:

You have to be properly warned in advance though - Mrs Loki didn't tell me La La Land was a musical, so when they started in on the singing I was well pissed off.

The trailers for Sweeney Todd downplaying the musical aspect is still something, in hindsight, I find hilarious.

• Awards Moderator
55 minutes ago, Chris B said:

The trailers for Sweeney Todd downplaying the musical aspect is still something, in hindsight, I find hilarious.

I know people who somehow managed to go to the Les Miserables film not knowing there’d be songs in it. They did not have the best time.

• Paid Members

One does spring to mind: I do like Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory. Now, that's in spite of the music, but it's a musical nonetheless.

I would be intrigued by a version that cuts out the musical numbers.

EDIT: Fucking hell. Better do it myself.

Edited by Carbomb

1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

One does spring to mind: I do like Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory. Now, that's in spite of the music, but it's a musical nonetheless.

I would be intrigued by a version that cuts out the musical numbers.

That would just be some creep luring kids into a factory to look at his sweet bits.

Probably be a hit with half this forum.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I know people who somehow managed to go to the Les Miserables film not knowing there’d be songs in it. They did not have the best time.

Just like the people who went to see The Invisible Man and were disappointed it had an invisible man in it.

• Paid Members

I once took a group of mates, who I stuck out like a sore thumb from because they were all beers-lads-rugby-shagging to watch the Muppets Movie from a few years back because they let me pick the film that week. 

Four minutes in as the first song hits I've never felt so sure I was about to get killed as all four turned and looked at me in unison pissed off. They loved it. Probably more than me. Now that's a bloody great musical movie. 

Labyrinth might actually be a musical. It certainly meets the shit criteria. Although that being said I don’t mind the odd musical. Dirty Dancing being a lifelong guilty pleasure despite Swayze’s Johnny being a bit noncey with a young girl called Baby.