I'm sure we had a thread about musicals being rubbish before...

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I didn’t realize I hated musicals until I watched Rocket Man. Now, I don’t want to get into if people think Bohemian Rhapsody was a good film or not, personally I loved it (dalliances with the truth notwithstanding), but my point is there’s only a song when it makes sense - Mercury writing a song, band practicing a song, band on stage etc. I watched Rocket Man hoping for a similar experience and instead was treated to a bunch of people beating the shit out of each other while also singing happily to Saturday Nights Alright For Fighting then breaking into pirouettes and jazz hands. Shit.

South Park gets a pass, obviously. I’ve never seen a man eat so many chicken wings.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, air_raid said:

I don’t want to get into if people think Bohemian Rhapsody was a good film or not, personally I loved it (dalliances with the truth notwithstanding), but my point is there’s only a song when it makes sense - Mercury writing a song, band practicing a song, band on stage etc.

A story about people singing songs isn't a musical. People singing songs to tell the story is.

The Blues Brothers is half and half. 

And fantastic, obviously.

• Paid Members

The Blues Brothers isn't a musical, it's a film with music in it. Can't speak for Bohemian Rhapsody, I'm never watching the bloody thing. Although I am intrigued as to whether Rami Malek is really shit or just merely shit in it. 

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The Blues Brothers isn't a musical, it's a film with music in it. 

Where does the music come from when they're in the soul food cafe? The band aren't playing, it's not coming over the radio, it just appears spontaneously to allow Mrs Murphy to put her thoughts into song.

At that moment, it's a musical.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Where does the music come from when they're in the soul food cafe? The band aren't playing, it's not coming over the radio, it just appears spontaneously to allow Mrs Murphy to put her thoughts into song.

I don't remember that scene actually, I've only seen it once and it was a good few years back. But I watched a film today called Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar which had a moment that sounds like that. While frowned upon, I wouldn't say it makes it a musical.

21 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

By that token, is Magnolia a musical when they all sing along to Aimee Mann? Not for me, Clive.