I'm sure we had a thread about musicals being rubbish before...

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I'm amazed anyone above the age of seven can like musicals. Nevermind admitting to it in public. Each to their own and all that, but deary me. I'd rather watch the kids films with the masks and capes. 

Probably a thread in its own right (Who do you irrationally hate), but for me it’s that Lin Manuel Miranda bloke. I love Moana and thought he was fun in Curb Your Enthusiasm but if I see his name attached to something I instantly dislike it. 

I think it’s a combination of musicals and  fucking “Hip Hop Improv”. Improv on its own is bad enough but back slapping shite like that Love City Groove bollocks or whatever it’s called, there’s no amount of atonement that can bring you back from that 

(Yes I know who Love City Groove are and apologise to Johnnyboy for besmirching their good name)

• Moderators

I don't hate all musicals but I can't think of a single good live action Hollywood movie one. Musicals should either be on stage or animated. I'll forever be angry at all the hype convincing me to try watching La La Land.

Edit: Muppets get a pass too.

Edited by Chest Rockwell
Wakka wakka

• Paid Members

I remember really liking Across The Universe. It’s a jukebox musical, but it’s pretty visually stunning. Another live action one I enjoyed a lot was Les Miserables. Take out a few dodgy casting choices and it’s a good film, but I’ve not seen it on stage to compare it. Same with Sweeney Todd.

As I’ve not seen Cats, the worst live action musical I’ve seen is probably Into the Woods. 

• Paid Members

I'm a bit of a sucker for a proper golden age of Hollywood musical, and will no doubt be watching Singing In The Rain again this Christmas. It's a sort of unofficial tradition stemming from it somehow always being broadcast on whichever day we went up to my grandparents at Christmas, and I used to think that Donald O'Connor's routine to Make 'Em Laugh was one of the greatest things I'd ever seen.

Speaking of Richard O'Brien, while not as good as Rocky Horror, there's a couple of good numbers in the sequel Shock Treatment, and some superb sub-baritonic singing from Christopher Lee in The Return of Captain Invincible.