I'm sure we had a thread about musicals being rubbish before...

Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator

I loved In The Heights. I’m undoubtedly in a minority there but it was exactly what I needed at the time I saw it.

The Greatest Showman must have been a word of mouth thing. It was released to fairly little fanfare but bit by bit you’d hear everyone talking about it - “everyone” being the people who don’t normally talk about films all the time, or go to the cinema that often. I’m not sure if WSS has that same kind of appeal because the people who’d like it by and large already know the story and the songs, and will have seen a film of it already. 

I hope it ends up doing better than Cats, at least.

• Paid Members

In The Heights was exactly what it should have been, a fluffy summer musical. The missus is a huge fan of musicals and she loved it.

The biggest problem with WSS is that a big chunk of it's potential audience aren't going to the cinema at the minute because of their age and that isnt going to change any time soon so they either sit on it for another 6 months, hoping cinemas are fully open again, when there's going to be a mad dash to release and compete with everyone else and you have to spend your marketing budget again, putting you past the point of any decent financial return something that happened with Bond twice, 

The only good thing a musical has ever given the world is when Le Branque referenced it when describing a walloper who clicked his fingers and pointed to where he was going to leave the room. 

I know the UKFF is hardly a bastion of taste but musicals is a new low. 

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

The only good thing a musical has ever given the world is when Le Branque referenced it when describing a walloper who clicked his fingers and pointed to where he was going to leave the room. 

Also, this jumper my 14yo just bought themselves for a school Christmas party.

617dMlmACAL._AC_UY580_.jpg.6f49c882d6187190f96eca995a180151.jpg

You won't find this surprising given my movie tastes, but I love musicals. I'm willing to forgive the shit acting when I'm tapping my foot along and signing to the songs (only at home obviously). 

The Greatest Showman is possibly one of the worst films I've ever seen but the songs are absolutely amazing, and the visuals in my opinion are quite something. I'm not sure the story of Barnum being someone that helped others is so good, it covers it a bit in the film that he was a businessman but he still cared for the performers. I'm sure in real life he was a bit of a bastard.

Jersey Boys is obviously excellent though, every song is an absolute banger. It does move ahead about a decade right at the end which was a bit strange. And Grease is insane too. It's happy.

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I've been corrected by 14yo, it's actually this jumper which is not fake and actual official merch, so y'know.

Unisex_Nightmare_Before_Christmas_Seriously_Spooky_Knitted_Jumper_grande.jpg.bda19db42ba4140ee890579ba238825d.jpg

1 - That is a fantastic Jumper

2 - The fake was in reference to the style of jumper, not that it was unlicenced or bootleg. That wasn't a slight at you. Loads of companies knock out christmas jumpers, but that first one is just a plan jumper someone screen prints a design on the front, nothing on the arms or back. This is what a christmas jumper should look like, and i'll double down on your daughters great taste in jumper here, i'd have happily bought that for a work christmas party if it was in my size, and if I could have been arsed to travel up to it this year.

10 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I don't really hate musicals but I do get pretty annoyed by musical episodes of TV shows. They're usually shit.

Greys Anatomy being the stand out in the sewer, that one was painful. Didn’t mind the Lucifer one but that’s mainly down to Tom Ellis having the time of his life. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Just Some Guy said:

Rocky Horror Picture Show isn't.

Paging @Keith Houchen urgently!

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

I don't really hate musicals but I do get pretty annoyed by musical episodes of TV shows. They're usually shit.

One of my favourite things to do in my LiveJournal (!) days was tell Buffy fans that there were musicals before Once More With Feeling. They didn't like that.