I'm sure we had a thread about musicals being rubbish before...

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Some of my earliest memories are my mum & my gran listening to the soundtracks of Paint Your Wagon, Fiddler On The Roof, and Mack & Mabel. Musical theatre has formed a big part of my early childhood and I've got a lot of nostalgia for them, but I understand why people wouldn't like them. 

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Some of my earliest memories are my mum & my gran listening to the soundtracks of Paint Your Wagon, Fiddler On The Roof, and Mack & Mabel. Musical theatre has formed a big part of my early childhood and I've got a lot of nostalgia for them, but I understand why people wouldn't like them. 

I'm very much the same. My mum absolutely adores West Side Story and things around that time, plus I remember she took me to a few musicals when I was younger. I don't remember much about them apart from Starlight Express which was such a mental experience. It's some fond memories but nothing that I've really got into myself over the years.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

I'm very much the same. My mum absolutely adores West Side Story and things around that time, plus I remember she took me to a few musicals when I was younger. I don't remember much about them apart from Starlight Express which was such a mental experience. It's some fond memories but nothing that I've really got into myself over the years.

"Starlight Express" is just absolute mentalness. Theme is alright though. It would be really shit for anybody not into a bit of Lloyd-Webber.

• Paid Members

Yep we definitely had a thread about this before - it was back when some of us were saying how overrated Hamilton was when it was put on Disney+

I have such an intense dislike for musicals which must stem from being forced to one every October as a kid. At least half a dozen of close family members were part of the local amateur dramatics group (shudder) so every Autumn I would be forced to endure the latest offering at Newbury Corn Exchange. I find the whole thing creepy honestly but I can't really explain why. I think the constant over the top smiles and big wide eyes the performers tend to do just freak me out a bit. And seeing my cool Uncle being nailed to a cross in Jesus Christ Superstar when I was about six scarred me for a few years.

The only one highlight I can remember is the robot from Return to Forbidden Planet falling over while roller skating across the stage and dislocating his finger.

I've never been to the West End and never will, but good for you if that's your thing

• Paid Members

I'm pretty sure my gran took me to see Return To The Forbidden Planet about 5 times as a kid. She even took me to see the spiritual sequel From A Jack To A King, which tanked. 

It was still better than when my mum took me to see the Barry Manilow jukebox musical where he's trying to write Copacabana by stringing it out to a two hour Barry Manilow jukebox musical. 

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

They’ve veered into Lloyd Webber territory, the lowest of the low. 

What amazes me still about Cats is that people were legitimately looking forward to that film. How is that fucking possible if you know even an iota about it.

EDIT - You can reply to this post without a Taylor Swift excuse.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator
33 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I'm pretty sure my gran took me to see Return To The Forbidden Planet about 5 times as a kid. She even took me to see the spiritual sequel From A Jack To A King, which tanked. 

It was still better than when my mum took me to see the Barry Manilow jukebox musical where he's trying to write Copacabana by stringing it out to a two hour Barry Manilow jukebox musical. 

We got taken to see From A Jack To A King as well! I remember nothing about it except the front cover of the programme which I've probably still got somewhere. We also went to see Cats once for my sister's birthday - not by her request though she did like cats. Not Cats though. I think we all found it boring and terrifying (pretty sure it's one of those where the performers go out into the audience). One of the cats looked slightly like Stacy Keibler which got me through it.

I did watch the film thinking it was likely to turn into one of those The Room style cult classics and I'd get ahead of the curve. It hasn't of course, but it's something to behold. Rebel Wilson unzipping her skin, Jason Derulo fixating on feet, James Corden gobbing in someone's mouth, about a hundred uses of the word "jellicle" and that's all in the first half an hour.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

14 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

What amazes me still about Cats is that people were legitimately looking forward to that film. How is that fucking possible if you know even an iota about it.

EDIT - You can reply to this post without a Taylor Swift excuse.

What really irks me the most about that movie is the way some of the starts, ok Corden in particular, were making fun of how bad it was and how bad the original pressing looked. Yeah I’m sure that’s really nice for the people who worked 16 hour days for weeks on end trying to meet an impossible deadline to make sure you looked like a fucking cat. 

• Paid Members

As a theatre kid it was expected that I'd love musicals. I didn't, and still don't. I enjoyed Phantom for the set and the incredible way it changed. I enjoyed Lion King for the animals and character acting. But even then I doubt I'd see them again. 

Oddly, I tend to like plays with music. I'm not sure how to explain the difference.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I did watch the film thinking it was likely to turn into one of those The Room style cult classics and I'd get ahead of the curve. It hasn't of course

Thank fuck.

• Paid Members

Is anyone in musical theatre more overrated then Andrew Lloyd Webber? I know Phantom is a staple, but everything else seems to die off pretty quickly, even his Phantom Sequel.

My dad, I’m sure shamelessly stolen, told me a joke of Andrew Lloyd Webber walking into a Burger King and asking for 2 Whoppers and the server replied “Your Musicals are good and your a handsome man”. What can I say, it made me laugh as a kid. 

This came up on YouTube suggestions once. He does some good videos that are an easy way to pass my lunchtime to, but this is about the famous Spider-Man musical combining two things some of you hate, Superheroes and musicals

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

We got taken to see From A Jack To A King as well! I remember nothing about it except the front cover of the programme which I've probably still got somewhere. We also went to see Cats once for my sister's birthday - not by her request though she did like cats. Not Cats though. I think we all found it boring and terrifying (pretty sure it's one of those where the performers go out into the audience). One of the cats looked slightly like Stacy Keibler which got me through it.

I did watch the film thinking it was likely to turn into one of those The Room style cult classics and I'd get ahead of the curve. It hasn't of course, but it's something to behold. Rebel Wilson unzipping her skin, Jason Derulo fixating on feet, James Corden gobbing in someone's mouth, about a hundred uses of the word "jellicle" and that's all in the first half an hour.

They're waiting for the butt hole cut I think. Wait until somebody edits anuses (anii?) onto those nonstrosities, then people will come back.