Jump to content

I'm sure we had a thread about musicals being rubbish before...


Devon Malcolm
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members

Who doesn’t like musicals? You weirdos! 
 

Be interesting to see what happens here. The Greatest Showman had a more dismal opening, but got bigger each weekend due to word of mouth and lasted months in the top 10. Guess it depends on if the new soundtrack gets boosted on TikTok as that seems to be a factor now days, especially with musicals. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

[seinfeldthatsashame.gif]

 

Hilariously shit numbers, those. They were hoping for $30 million! If Cyrano tanks in the New Year, hopefully we'll have seen off the musicals, lads.

God I hope so. Possibly even worse than Marvel films. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Awards Moderator
7 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Who doesn’t like musicals? You weirdos! 
 

Be interesting to see what happens here. The Greatest Showman had a more dismal opening, but got bigger each weekend due to word of mouth and lasted months in the top 10. Guess it depends on if the new soundtrack gets boosted on TikTok as that seems to be a factor now days, especially with musicals. 

The Variety article mentions West Side Story was hoping for older audiences who have apparently been more reluctant to go back to the cinema - I think that’s probably a decent sized factor. I do hope WSS does well in the end, Spielberg clearly poured love into making it (there are so many gorgeously shot sequences) and Ariana DeBose in particular deserves as many people as possible to see her performance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My mum absolutely fucking loves West Side Story and she was really looking forward to going but she won't go at the moment. She just thinks it's not worth the risk. I know some of her friends felt the same too so yeah that doesn't surprise me. It's a shame as it does look to be a really great version of it, even if it's not really my thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
8 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

The Variety article mentions West Side Story was hoping for older audiences who have apparently been more reluctant to go back to the cinema - I think that’s probably a decent sized factor. I do hope WSS does well in the end, Spielberg clearly poured love into making it (there are so many gorgeously shot sequences) and Ariana DeBose in particular deserves as many people as possible to see her performance.

WSS was in my Dads top 3. As a rebellious kid, I never watched it. So I feel compelled to watch this in tribute to him, as well as interested to see Spielberg do a musical 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Awards Moderator

I'm all for a new West Side Story but I can't see who this is aimed at (I should point out I haven't seen it yet. Judging by the news, no one has). Staying in the late 50s? Rebuilding 60 year old New York? Not adding new songs? Strange choice and probably restricting the audience. Far more interesting to transpose the time line somewhere else and bring it more up to date musically. However Spielberg doing a musical is really interesting and I'm going to seek it out. 

I hope it picks up in the Christmas Day - New Years Day interval as it's exactly suited to that time of year, but only as long as it can hold a screen against the onslaught of Spiders. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

I'm all for a new West Side Story but I can't see who this is aimed at (I should point out I haven't seen it yet. Judging by the news, no one has). Staying in the late 50s? Rebuilding 60 year old New York? Not adding new songs? Strange choice and probably restricting the audience. Far more interesting to transpose the time line somewhere else and bring it more up to date musically. However Spielberg doing a musical is really interesting and I'm going to seek it out. 

I hope it picks up in the Christmas Day - New Years Day interval as it's exactly suited to that time of year, but only as long as it can hold a screen against the onslaught of Spiders. 

I don't see making it modern would have made a difference. Most musicals don't get refreshed in a different time period and, at a guess, it was modernised, it wouldn't have been culturally as relevent.

But to your second point, The Greatest Showman opened up before The Last Jedi, and regardless of the mixed reception it got at the time, that was the big film before christmas, but The Greatest Showman picked up after the first few weekends when everyone had seen the latest Star Wars and wanted to see something different. Where it may come unstuck is with the pandemic being in full swing still and the concern that another lockdown could be on the way, coupled with people still being uncertain about going to the cinema. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's difficult because I can see people thinking something like Spider-Man is worth going to the cinema for. They're already invested in it and probably don't want to have it spoiled or wait for a home release etc. But West Side Story? Yeah it'd be a fun cinema trip for most but they probably won't feel like they lost anything by waiting for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
13 minutes ago, chokeout said:

Musicals do weak numbers but for silly amounts of time, it'll limp its way to making its money back.

I do love that Speilberg has just decided to do a straight musical and has, by all accounts, nailed it. What a legend. 

It was like when Scorcsese made Hugo, something completely different to their norm, in their twilight years,  which was really enjoyable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The rate that things are heading to streaming also seems to be a bit of a factor in that people seem to be either willing to wait or in some cases stay at home if it’s available there (Free Guy was still playing at Cinemas at the time it was uploaded to Disney+).
The Last Duel is already on Disney+ and was only released in October, Eternals is heading there on January 12th and only came out at the start of November. If that trend continues, West Side Story will probably be on Disney+ around February time and I think it’s also going to be on HBO Max for at least a month in the US due to a deal before the Disney buyout of 20th Century Fox.

The Greatest Showman isn’t a good film by any stretch, but it got by on having a soundtrack that people adored and had a steady footfall that kept it in cinemas for way longer than anything had been in years, or at least that was the case at my local Vue.

As for modernising WSS, isnt that basically what In The Heights was meant to be? And that looked awful

Edited by WyattSheepMask
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...