I'm sure we had a thread about musicals being rubbish before...

Devon Malcolm

49 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Off topic slightly but I've never enjoyed anything from Roald Dahl in any format, book, film or musical.

As a child I was told constantly by school how wonderful it all was but it just bored or irritated me.

I think Esiotrot is a bit creepy myself. The protagonist lies and tricks a woman into sleeping with him. 

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Some of those "Tales of the Unexpected" stories written by him are quite chilling for the 70s.

I think the only reason anybody watches Sky Arts is to watch Tales of the Unexpected.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I think the only reason anybody watches Sky Arts is to watch Tales of the Unexpected.

My favourite one:

Ron Moody being awesome, plus features the actor who played the press secretary in Yes, Prime Minister, and also Porkins from Star Wars (think he only died a year ago or so).

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

Every muppet film is essentially a musical and the muppets are ace so this thread is wrong.

Also Bohemian Rhapsody isn’t a musical, it’s barely even a film and is only worth watching for the scene where they are chatting in the pub and have been contractually obliged to show every character the same amount of time leading to the most overly edited scene ever. 

• Paid Members
On 12/16/2021 at 9:07 PM, neil said:

"Rock Star" staring Mark Walberg is deffo a musical 🤘

YES! I love that film and the soundtrack is incredible. I had it on CD are played it to death. ‘Stand Up’ and ‘Wasted Generation’ are great songs.

I’m not hugely into musicals but I do have a soft spot for a few movie-based ones such as Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (that’s not aged well in the #metoo days), The Sound of Music (it’s WW2 so I’m obviously going to like it), and Grease 2 (if only ‘Reproduction’ and ‘Cool Rider’ were karaoke songs).

I loved Jersey Boys in the West End and Beautiful: The Carol King Musical was absolutely amazing. I also saw the BTTF musical a couple of months ago and wasn’t as appalled as I though I would be to be honest.

I think, though, the best musical I’ve seen live was actually Licensed To Ill - a Beastie Boys musical. It was a glorious work of art. I ended up seeing it twice and interviewed the guys behind it for a blog.

Edited by Monkee

• Paid Members

I agree that people covering the Beastie Boys also sounds like hell, especially if their Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame induction is anything to go by, but unless the Beasties Musical is a 2 hour jukebox musical style retelling of Paul Revere I struggle to figure out what the plot would be. It'd be more through morbid curiosity.