WWE Clash Adjecent To The Castle. Drew McIntyre (almost) comes home

Jazzy G

• Paid Members

As soon as I saw the Cody video package I realised that Roman was going over, because the build to Cody taking it off him has started. If it turns out that happens before the Rumble, then I guess that's fine.

Unfortunately, Drew has been sacrificed on the altar now. I don't think he's completely done or anything, but he's going to need some real rehab to be a proper challenger again. I suppose that's fine though as he's not exactly in the plans going forward. No idea where he goes from here though.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

That's pretty much my review of the show. Not questioning the merits of having a great discussion on it at all of course. They could have made better desicions in places, but if they're taking baby steps then I feel like as jaded consumers we should ideally put the Observer brain on pause and take the moments on good faith.

And considering the dross most post SummerSlam stuff is, that was a really good Rebellion 2022. 

Yeah, that's how I have to approach it now. I really enjoyed the show and literally had no idea about what was going on going in so just went along with it, but it did make me come away wanting to watch what happens next.

What was cool was sitting around people who were so invested in what was happening storyline wise, it helped me get into it. I did feel people had inflated ideas about expectations of who was going to show up during that main event though. I heard the "The Fiend is in Cardiff" thing at least a dozen times through the day, and the guy behind was convinced The Rock was gonna do a run-in.

Edited by Egg Shen

First full WWE show I've watched since the Saudi one last year.

Thought it was (like the Saudi one) a really, really strong effort. The opening women's six-person tag was a bit iffy, but everything else was enjoyable. I particularly liked the IC and Universal Title matches. 

Also agree that either Sheamus or Drew should have went over. I appreciate them trying to make the titles mean something with the long reigns, but they could have done a switch here. Probably Sheamus, as he could have, say,  had a five-week run with the belt before dropping it back to Gunther in a stipulation match at Extreme Rules. 

Hopefully the lack of a 'hometown' win didn't erase much of the goodwill WWE built up with the show, as it would be nice to see them regularly run (once a year?) a UK stadium show. 

• Paid Members

Drew looked like such a whopper I forgot to mention something! For a split second, when we could only see his goatee, I thought it was EC3 doing the main event run in!

Momentarily loved the idea of Triple H raiding the whole Control Your Narrative roster, other than Austin Aries. Little Austin Aries, sitting alone in the Rant Room, blaming vaccine conspiracies for why he’s got no friends left. Magic.

Agree with Sheamus winning but not sure about Drew losing clean. I think that sinks the crowd even moreso.

Ultimately I think the awful post-match is colouring opinions. That was unquestionably terrible, but I think the match itself was good and importantly moved things along. The event would have been completely meaningless had Drew just lost.

I think it comes down to opinions on Drew, too. He’s just not the guy, for me.

On a separate note, is Karrion Kross the least convincing looking wrestler ever? Something so off about him. I think his hair makes it even worst.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

The more I think about it, the more it's a damn shame they have both titles on Roman and "unified" them. This was a night that made it clear having one champ/one "title" is incredibly limiting.

If you had two separate on Roman then you'd still be able to focus on Cody or whoever, as well as giving Drew the win on a huge night.

Yeah you could argue they could've found some way of doing that anyway, but it would've been a bit messy.

So that's my main take away from the show - apart from I never want to see Tyson Fury sing again - split the fucking titles ASAP.

On the subject of Sheamus, I even remember saying to myself during the match too "There's no reason for him not to win" - especially assuming the main event wasn't going to end in a title change. Ultimately though I think him getting his flowers might have been the bigger moment. He's a great hand, but his career trajectory and angles have been so inorganic and WWE-by-numbers that it's likely he's not getting that moment again for the rest of his full time career. 

1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Agree with Sheamus winning but not sure about Drew losing clean. I think that sinks the crowd even moreso.

Ultimately I think the awful post-match is colouring opinions. That was unquestionably terrible, but I think the match itself was good and importantly moved things along. The event would have been completely meaningless had Drew just lost.

I think it comes down to opinions on Drew, too. He’s just not the guy, for me.

For me I was souring on the main event when they did the ref bump at the Claymore Kick. Now that was instantaneously saved by the Austin Theory attempt to cash in only to be belted by Tyson Fury. That was enough of a distraction to go into the finish. They complicated it with the unknown Uso interference.

• Paid Members

I had an amazing time, but man that ending was deflating as fuck. If you want to turn up your nose at Drew winning, fine, have something bigger in mind, fine, but it will need to be an absolutely incredible moment to justify not pulling the trigger on Drew there. You can never take for granted getting a crowd that size/that loud/that desperate for one guy to win again. 

Still one of the best matches I've ever seen live though, and Sheamus/Gunther too, what a war! Within a couple of hours of getting home I'll have the AEW ppv on and I'm still to catch up on Friday night's GCW with The Greatest kicking Joey Janela's stupid head into the fifth row. What a great weekend of wrestling!