WWE Clash Adjecent To The Castle. Drew McIntyre (almost) comes home

Jazzy G

6 hours ago, Duke said:

As soon as I saw the Cody video package I realised that Roman was going over, because the build to Cody taking it off him has started. If it turns out that happens before the Rumble, then I guess that's fine.

I may be totally wrong here, but aren’t these video packages just filler; in place to accommodate ad breaks in the ad-supported version on Peacock? While I think they’d be mad not to do Roman/Cody, I’d be very surprised if Rhodes were the one to take the belt off him. Cody coming up short in his quest to win the title, at least at this stage, seems like a very feasible direction.

That said, outside of Cody, at the moment, there’s not an obvious person on the roster who I could see defeating Reigns at this stage. It’s an interesting problem to have; a red hot, outstanding heel and little in the way of face wrestlers even close to being on his level.

Edited by RedRooster

43 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

That said, outside of Cody, at the moment, there’s not an obvious person on the roster who I could see defeating Reigns at this stage. It’s an interesting problem to have; a red hot, outstanding heel and little in the way of face wrestlers even close to being on his level.

That's becuase he's beat Braun Strowman, Jey Uso, Edge, Daniel Bryan, Cesaro, Kevin Owens, Finn Balor, Big E, Goldberg, Brock Lesnar, John Cena, Riddle and Drew McIntyre. 

Who is left? Cody? Lashley? Seth Rollins (DQ finish at the Rumble)?

Roman's last pinfall loss was December 15th 2019 to Baron Corbin at TLC.

Edited by Version1.0

Cracking show. It's wild seeing Cardiff City centre covered in WWE banners. I've never seen that even for WrestleManias.

I've never been to a closed roof stadium show before, it felt like a big arena to me, but that kept the sound in. My expectations were stupidly high for Sheamus vs Gunther, but they delivered! I don't really care for Riddle apart from the RK-Bro stuff, but he's always good value when the bell rings and last night was no different. Proper nasty bastard Rollins with that flying stomp as well. Judgment Day laughing at the Dominik turn is still amusing me a day later.

The main event was fantastic. I'm not that fussed about McIntyre but I was fully invested in him during the match. Best atmosphere for any match I've been to besides Kofi Kingston vs Daniel Bryan. Fury sparking Theory was hilarious. And the two men in the match were at the top of their game. They absolutely got me on that last pin before blonde Uso broke it up. I enjoyed the singsong as well, but was surprised the broadcast was still going for that.

Thought I'd dip into the UKFF to see what people thought. Fuck me though, what would drive someone to spend hours every week hatewatching something, more hours looking up gossip that winds them up about it even more, then even more hours moaning about it and Monday morning quarterspacking about the results with a condescending tone because it doesnt match their EWR save... for two decades? Even if the rants are mostly paraphrased from Bryan Alvarez, it still takes time to type them. That's so many hours that could've been spent doing stuff you actually enjoy. It's such a waste of a life.

See you in another three months or so, uces. Be well and remember to always acknowledge your tribal chief!

• Paid Members

He said he enjoyed the singsong. Pitcos is clearly what we need less of.

I know some folks who went. Everyone I’ve spoken to has a great time, but no-one seemed to enjoy the ending to the main. Certainly seemed to be the usual it was more enjoyable being there to how it translated to TV. My biggest concern now is will they ever sell that many tickets again if the hyped up Drew winning the big one only to choose not to pull the trigger? I think it will put a lot of people off going back to a big show like this in the future.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

I don’t necessarily think it’s true of folks on here, as there’s been some reasoned discussion, but a lot of the people I’ve seen on Twitter - in particular - moaning about the main event seem to just be sad their favourite didn’t win.

They dress it up well with internet words and references to booking, but deep down they’re just disappointed the babyface didn’t win and the big bad did.

I watched it again today, still maintain it was a brilliant main event. Sheamus/Gunther is an even tougher watch second time when you know what’s coming for the poor sods.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

1 hour ago, King Pitcos said:

Cracking show. It's wild seeing Cardiff City centre covered in WWE banners. I've never seen that even for WrestleManias.

I've never been to a closed roof stadium show before, it felt like a big arena to me, but that kept the sound in. My expectations were stupidly high for Sheamus vs Gunther, but they delivered! I don't really care for Riddle apart from the RK-Bro stuff, but he's always good value when the bell rings and last night was no different. Proper nasty bastard Rollins with that flying stomp as well. Judgment Day laughing at the Dominik turn is still amusing me a day later.

The main event was fantastic. I'm not that fussed about McIntyre but I was fully invested in him during the match. Best atmosphere for any match I've been to besides Kofi Kingston vs Daniel Bryan. Fury sparking Theory was hilarious. And the two men in the match were at the top of their game. They absolutely got me on that last pin before blonde Uso broke it up. I enjoyed the singsong as well, but was surprised the broadcast was still going for that.

Thought I'd dip into the UKFF to see what people thought. Fuck me though, what would drive someone to spend hours every week hatewatching something, more hours looking up gossip that winds them up about it even more, then even more hours moaning about it and Monday morning quarterspacking about the results with a condescending tone because it doesnt match their EWR save... for two decades? Even if the rants are mostly paraphrased from Bryan Alvarez, it still takes time to type them. That's so many hours that could've been spent doing stuff you actually enjoy. It's such a waste of a life.

See you in another three months or so, uces. Be well and remember to always acknowledge your tribal chief!

Pro Wrestling Crying GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

23 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I don’t necessarily think it’s true of on here, as there’s been some reasoned discussion, but a lot of the people I’ve seen on Twitter - in particular - moaning about the main event seem to just be sad their favourite didn’t win.

They dress it up well with internet words and references to booking, but deep down they’re just disappointed the babyface didn’t win and the big bad did.

I watched it again today, still maintain it was a brilliant main event. Sheamus/Gunther is an even tougher watch second time when you know what’s coming for the poor sods.

Yeah I've seen this too. It's a partisan reaction in a lot of places. There's nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is. I'm Irish (look out, Itchy!) and can't help but feel Sheamus over the years had bundles more potential than they ever really let him get away with even during eras that would get you some quite funny looks.

Edited by Gay as FOOK

2 hours ago, Version1.0 said:

Who is left? Cody? Lashley? Seth Rollins (DQ finish at the Rumble)?

Roman's last pinfall loss was December 15th 2019 to Baron Corbin at TLC.

That’s mad, he lost to Corbin?! 

Honestly, I think they just keep going with him until the right person rears their head, whether it’s Bron Breakker, a newly signed MJF or someone who has gone on an unexpected hot streak and it’s suddenly apparent that they are the right choice. At the moment, to me at least, it feels like there’s more value in having Reigns continue to hold the title than to have him lose it.

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I don’t necessarily think it’s true of on here, as there’s been some reasoned discussion, but a lot of the people I’ve seen on Twitter - in particular - moaning about the main event seem to just be sad their favourite didn’t win.

Is there anything particularly wrong with that, though? Getting caught up and wanting your favourites to win is the zenith of pro-wrestling.

It’s not like Drew was some internet darling who contrarian fans decided they wanted to win when nothing that was presented to them suggested such a possibility. Everything they put on television the last month or so was designed to make you believe Drew was winning. All conventional storytelling suggested a happy ending. That’s not on the fans if WWE decided to swerve them again. WWE are at fault for telling unsatisfying stories. In any other medium, writers would be rightly called out if all the protagonists always lost over and over again. If the Empire always strikes back, that’s not a very good story, is it? Pro-wrestling shouldn’t be immune to the same criticism just because it’s got this extra layer of kayfabe bullshit on top of it.

I hate this post-smart approach of looking down on people for getting invested and wanting their favourites to win. “LOL, don’t get worked, bro.” Why not?! If you don’t want to get, “worked,” and the promised land isn’t getting engrossed in the stories and characters, then why the fuck are you watching it?

Edited by Supremo

6 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Is there anything particularly wrong with that, though? Getting caught up and wanting your favourites to win is the zenith of pro-wrestling.

It’s not like Drew was some internet darling who contrarian fans decided they wanted to win when nothing that was presented to them suggested such a possibility. Everything they put on television the last month or so was designed to make you believe Drew was winning. All conventional storytelling suggested a happy ending. That’s not on the fans if WWE decided to swerve them again. WWE are at fault for telling unsatisfying stories. In any other medium, writers would be rightly called out if all the protagonists always lost over and over again. Pro-wrestling shouldn’t be immune to the same criticism just because it’s got this extra layer of kayfabe bullshit on top of it.

I hate this post-smart approach of looking down on people for getting invested and wanting their favourites to win. “LOL, don’t get worked, bro.” Why not?! If you don’t want to get, “worked,” and the promised land isn’t getting engrossed in the stories and characters, then why the fuck are you watching it?

No, but that’s not my point.

People are hiding it behind a shield of ‘bad booking’ or whatever to hide the fact they’re disappointed their favourite didn’t win.

I’m all for people getting into it. That’s the beautiful part of wrestling. 

But there’s an element amongst wrestling fans which refuses to accept they’re ‘into it’ and instead just lash out the product every time they’re disappointed. Being disappointed is part of it, so when the good moments do come they feel even better.

I also don’t think last night was a swerve. ‘Everything suggested Drew was winning’ is again coming from a place of inferred context. They just showed him as a strong challenger, but ultimately didn’t go with him.

Again, like I say, there’s lots of interesting arguments as to why Drew should have won but that wasn’t promised, there was no obligation to deliver it and, in hindsight, of course they weren’t going to end Roman’s reign on an out-of-US-time zone, non-big four show.

I don’t think anyones shifting on this. For me, I think it was very well booked and set up the next stage of the Bloodline story well, so worked for me.

I get being disappointed Drew lost, but I don’t think it’s as clear cut as it being ‘bad booking’. He was never a slam dunk, obvious winner.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

My biggest concern now is will they ever sell that many tickets again if the hyped up Drew winning the big one only to choose not to pull the trigger? I think it will put a lot of people off going back to a big show like this in the future.

Do people genuinely get that upset that the good guy didn't win though? The draw is getting to see the WWE and their favorite wrestlers in a massive stadium surely?