WWE Clash Adjecent To The Castle. Drew McIntyre (almost) comes home

Jazzy G

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, gmoney said:

I mean it's all anecdotal, but no one in my section seemed ruinously upset at the end of the show, the atmosphere on the way out appeared to be pretty upbeat. The show overall was quality and I think that's the main take away for most. 

Yeah it like wasn't like leaving a football game after the home team had just lost and everyone was upset or angered by the result, I don't think wrestling evokes that kind of emotional response. Everyone just seemed happy that they'd seen a really good show.

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Yeah it like wasn't like leaving a football game after the home team had just lost and everyone was upset or angered by the result, I don't think wrestling evokes that kind of emotional response. Everyone just seemed happy that they'd seen a really good show.

It definitely can. I’ve filed out of numerous buildings where everyone’s crushed that their guy(s) lost, and nobody’s buzzing about the star ratings.

• Paid Members

The whole point of "send the fans home happy" stuff is that the main event is the last thing you see, so most likely to be the thing you're all talking about as you leave, and definitely the thing that is going to leave a lasting impression. Whether that impression is negative because your favourite didn't win, or because it was booked in such a way as to deflate the audience, is all fairly immaterial. It doesn't have to be the babyface winning at the end, but there's no harm in the babyface getting their heat back - if they had to go with Tyson Fury involvement, they could always have had Fury and McIntyre take turns in beating up Reigns' new lackey or, if they want him protected, Austin Theory or Sami Zayn (I don't know if Sami was even there, tbf) to stand tall at the end. Instead, we got Drew losing a title match that had been built up as his destiny, at a show largely built around him, and him being so unfazed by the outcome that he was laughing, joking and singing immediately after the fact. That's Lex Luger celebrating a count-out victory levels of shit babyface work.

The show was decent enough. I watched it in a pub, which was a nice novelty for a WWE show. The atmosphere was great, but there's not a lot to write home about beyond that. I left before the end of the main event, because I was knackered and it was all same-old same-old WWE main event style. I loved Sheamus vs. Gunther, though, just a fantastic match that really drew people in. It was almost impossible to get served during that match, because the bar staff were all turning around and watching, and the old boys behind us who had all been loudly sharing (bad) boxing opinions all night and then complaining about the wrestling being on were gradually won over by that match (and that match alone, they didn't give a shit about anything after it). It was one of those "this shit might be all fake, but those lads are for real" matches that WWE just don't ordinarily do, and really stood out for it.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed this wrestling show which I viewed on the WWE Network after I re-purchased it for a month to help me through a house move. I love Bob Caudle.

Madcap Moss and The Street Profits vs Alpha Academy and (Austin) Theory - I probably wouldn't have watched this if I'd realised it was on the pre-show but I'm glad I did. Everyone in this was really good, even Otis. Chad Gable shouldn't be arseing around with him though, he should be doing something better.

Six woman tag (I can't be arsed typing it all out) - As much as I love Bianca Belair, who's just fucking brilliant, Bayley showed in this match why she could be the best in the whole company. She sussed that she was the crowd favourite early on and then played up to the chants like they were getting on her tits rather than accepting them. That's some good heel work. Good match, this. Bayley vs Belair will probably be match of the year when it happens.

Gunther vs Sheamus - I watch wrestling for two very large men hitting each other very hard for long periods of time, without ever lapsing into that strong style shite. This was absolutely brilliant. I fucking hated Sheamus when I first saw him, he's come a million miles since then.

Liv Morgan vs Shayna Baszler - This was not good at all. Liv Morgan's likeable and smooth but Baszler was never convicing in portraying that Morgan was hurting her. They need to get the belt off her fast and not give it her back and put her in a tag team instead.

Edge and Rey vs Judgement Day - The match was fine and Damien Priest is superb but the after match? Fuck, what a mess. Dominic potters around for a few seconds waiting for his dad to tell him when to kick Edge in the cobblers, does so, and then stands there like a twat before hitting his dad and stomping off like a five year old. He's awful. Meanwhile Judgement Day are laughing like a comedy side act instead of a brooding, threatening stable. Jesus.

Seth Bleedin' Rollins vs (Matt) Riddle - Nothing screams 'I can't wait to kick my opponent's fucking head off' more than wheeling down to the ring on a fucking scooter. Matt Riddle is still absolutely shit and Rollins carried him to a really good match here. He's in the form of his life, it's like he's assumed Randy Orton's mantle of having good to great matches with everyone, no matter who they are. I like him when he's not embarrassing himself on Twitter.

Drew McIntyre vs Roman Reigns - I get what people are saying and that this was McIntyre's moment but he deserves everything he gets for that final segment, which was utterly embarrassing and weird in ways that I'm not sure even Vince McMahon would sanction. Tyson Fury is a cunt. Match was really good, I hope Reigns keeps the title for another seven years at least.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Madcap Moss and The Street Profits vs Alpha Academy and (Austin) Theory - I probably wouldn't have watched this if I'd realised it was on the pre-show but I'm glad I did. Everyone in this was really good, even Otis. Chad Gable shouldn't be arseing around with him though, he should be doing something better.

I'd forgotten all about this with it being on the pre-show, but I really enjoyed it and it made me think that Madcap Moss has more to give than his gimmick and booking suggests. He has some tremendous fire and a handsome bastard to boot. 

Everyone talks about Ford, but Dawkins really holds his own in that team and is unfairly labelled as the Janetty at times. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Gunther vs Sheamus - I watch wrestling for two very large men hitting each other very hard for long periods of time, without ever lapsing into that strong style shite. This was absolutely brilliant. I fucking hated Sheamus when I first saw him, he's come a million miles since then.

Watch the Sheamus vs Drew Donnybrook fight if you haven't caught it yet, it's on the second most recent Smackdown uploaded to the Network. It's not as good as this, but was probably my match of the year before this weekend. They just beat the piss out of each other, surrounded by daft gimmicks with a couple of great little story-telling touches thrown in. Gold.

• Paid Members

I dunno, I look at that photo of Sheamus thats up on Twitter and think "Christ, lads, its meant to be pretend." Thinking about Bret's lines about the art being to make it look stiff but not hurt each other, and Saint Hulkster standing over Johnny B Badd with two icepacks on his knees saying "You need to learn how to work, brother."

All chops though, isn't it. I don't think it's too bad a method for technically beating the piss out of someone whilst essentially just leaving surface marks. Especially when it comes to Sheamus, who probably has the world's greatest chest for it. Like drawing on a whiteboard. 

What other UK stadium would be in serious contention for a future PPV? 

Id guessing Wembley or Spurs Stadium in London, Etihad in Manchester and outside chance of maybe Murrayfield/Hampton Park in Scotland 

Cardiff could get chosen again due to the weekend going so well

Maybe Europe is next in line with Germany the most likely contenter but saying that they didn't revist Australia after that show a few years back (which had more legends on the card than CATC)

Edited by Healy52003

Cardiff didn’t get chosen.   WWE got chosen by Cardiff.

That’s why they haven’t done another stadium show in Australia.  Because no city has asked WWE to come back yet.

If London gets a stadium show it’ll be because London wants it not because WWE wants it.

Edited by The Dart