WWE Clash Adjecent To The Castle. Drew McIntyre (almost) comes home

Jazzy G

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Do people genuinely get that upset that the good guy didn't win though? The draw is getting to see the WWE and their favorite wrestlers in a massive stadium surely?

It’s not “the good guy” is it. Drew was the big UK star fighting for the title. Both main titles were being fought for by “local” wrestlers. The last event of this size in the UK saw Bulldog beat Bret in the main event for the intercontinental title. The build up for the show was Drew. The posters, the promo, Drew. He was the first UK world champion at a time of no live crowds. It was the feel good story. But they’ve obviously decided Cody is going to be the man. If he ain’t winning it like that, he’s never going to be champ again. 

But you’re right. People bought tickets because of what it was, not who was announced. Not enough to sell out. Not enough to have to reduce tickets by over 50% to fill up the stadium. But those people have now paid. They have now seen what to expect a UK PPV of this importance will give them. Our friends 11 year old son was in tears when Drew last. Will he go again? Probably. But he was so sure Drew was winning, the match left him devastated. all the other shows he’s seen (house and TV tapings), didn’t leave him crying. 

28 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

This is the UKFF mate, the home of hatewatchers. 

Or don’t even watchers who’ll moan about something based on reading about it.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Our friends 11 year old son was in tears when Drew last. Will he go again? Probably. But he was so sure Drew was winning, the match left him devastated. all the other shows he’s seen (house and TV tapings), didn’t leave him crying. 

I mean it's all anecdotal, but no one in my section seemed ruinously upset at the end of the show, the atmosphere on the way out appeared to be pretty upbeat. The show overall was quality and I think that's the main take away for most. It's not like the old days where you'd sit through a stinking card of Headbangers, Tiger Ali Singh Al Snow et al going through the motions. 

Another thing - the vocal Roman fans in my section were all kids under 13. They seemed to bloody love him, and didn't give a shit about Drew. 

Edited by gmoney

It amazes me how much physical charisma Roman has developed later in his career. He looks like a fucking titan at times, compared to the pale faced, out of his depth babyface in the stab vest of the past.

His route to the top clearly isn’t the one they intended, but I’d say it’s absolutely unarguable he’s earned his stripes as the #1 guy. It’s even more impressive that he’s been able to take the torch from Cena, yet do it as a bad guy.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

Really enjoyable weekend over in Cardiff, the place was buzzing as expected. Wrestling shirts everywhere 

The ques everywhere were mental, didn't get to do the Undertaker experience was it any good ? The superstore was great but feck me it was hot in there 

The event itself was pretty good although i would of liked to have seen more 'stars appear' like Ronda, Styles, Lashley, KO.  Sheamus vs Gunther was def match of the night imo. The Dominik heel turn was a guilty pleasure, Theory will never get to cash in at this point. Pity Drew didn't win and the rumours going around all week indicated he was winning. 

Lets hope we might see another PPV in the UK or Europe sooner rather than later

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, gmoney said:

I mean it's all anecdotal, but no one in my section seemed ruinously upset at the end of the show, the atmosphere on the way out appeared to be pretty upbeat. The show overall was quality and I think that's the main take away for most. It's not like the old days where you'd sit through a stinking card of Headbangers, Tiger Ali Singh Al Snow et al going through the motions. 

Another thing - the vocal Roman fans in my section were all kids under 13. They seemed to bloody love him, and didn't give a shit about Drew. 

6 matches, no title changes. Was this really much different to Rebellion on Insurrections we got back in the day? Sure, there were some duff wrestlers but there was also Austin, Rock, Taker, HHH, Jericho etc 

1 minute ago, The Dart said:

The main difference that Insurrextion and Rebellion weren’t shown even in America, let alone anywhere else in the world (Australia only I think)

Different era though, if the network was around then they would’ve been. 

Exactly the point though.   This event was on the Network, because it exists now.  So that more than anything else makes it different to Insurrextion or Rebellion.

Lack of title changes means nothing.  Plenty of PPVs take place with no title changes.

Edited by The Dart

Really enjoyed it, it was quite surreal seeing Cardiff city centre being so WWE centric.

I do think Drew losing was a bit of a shit ending, although I didn't expect him to win so wasn't disappointed myself on a personal level, but yeah they probably did book themselves into a corner with the match in a way. Was surprised that the karaoke stuff was on the broadcast. The match itself was a very good WWE style chaotic main event though.   

Gunther and Sheamus stole the show for sure.

I got home from Cardiff earlier and watched some of the show back. It definitely delivered for those in the stadium, I left last night thinking it was a cracking show. Watching some back, I’ve not changed my mind.

I am very surprised the Drew/Fury bit was shown though - I genuinely said to my mates about 3 times last night that I’m sure the show cut when Roman was talking to the camera when we were discussing about that not being needed. Something like that is completely fine in a “for the fans in attendance” type setting but that should never have aired. Tyson telling Drew to bolt when Drew suggested he was a jukebox was very amusing right enough.

I completely disagree with the comments about needing to have a knowledge of NXT to figure out who the interference was. The guy is the absolute double of the Usos and even though I couldn’t remember his name, I figured who it was right away even though I don’t watch NXT and have never seen him wrestle. For those on TV, it was explained very clearly too. I hate the nonsense that we need to know the people who debut, we had no idea who Brock Lesnar was when he first turned up. Life was much better in wrestling not knowing the career history of every debutant and getting to know new guys. The excitement of “I can’t wait to find out who that was” has always been great in wrestling.

I actually thought Finn laughing like a mad man was hilarious and I preferred how they done Dominik’s turn. You could clearly see the story was he helped them win, wanted the credit and they pretty much ignored him for a good two minutes celebrating together which pushed him over the edge (pun not intended). Just turning in the match was so predictable.

Sheamus is an absolute superstar and totally underrated as a wrestler. I love the guy.

This was the first WWW PPV which I've watched start to finish probably since Wrestlemania 31 (play button) and the first show I've watched since Mania this year. 

Overall I enjoyed the show, every match delivered, it didn't feel overly long and it was nice for them not to hammer home with union jacks etc that they were in the UK for once. Apart from being in a stadium it was a 'B' show with only the main event really bending that trend. As some have said I'm more surprised they didn't give Sheamus the win here even if he loses it back to Gunther on Smackdown in a few days. At least then a more local lad would have got a win and by Survivor Series Gunther's loss would have been well and truly forgotten. 

The kick after the Theory/ Fury stuff would have been perfect for Drew to win and yes once there was a kick out at that point we knew it wasn't happening. I'm not massively idsappointed as the show was enjoyable overall and the audience generally gave it a unique atmosphere. 

A few minor grumblings would be:

- Graves not referencing that the 'hey Bayley' chant was a UK invention annoyed me but then he's probably forgotten that.

-Karrion Kross came off pretty bad just throwing a bottle at Drew and nothing of note more.

-I'm guessing it wasn't anyone here but if you were the twat shouting AEW at the end of the show audibly you deserve a slap.