WWE Summerslam Saturday August 21st 2021

• Paid Members

I’m convinced we’ll look back at this weekend and the returns of Becky and Punk the same way we look back at that night where Foley won the title whilst they did the Finger Poke of Doom on Nitro.

The exact same promotional concept (in that case a World Title change whereas here it’s the return of a major star), but with two diametrically opposed approaches that epitomise where each promotion is heading and how one company is a complete fucking mess.

With Punk, they did the simplest, most basic return possible. Hit his music, cut the promo, build to the match at the pay per view. Don’t be a dickhead. Don’t try and be clever. Just give the fans exactly what they want. Perceive what they’re hoping for and then lead them in that direction.

With Becky, it was all the wanky fantasy booking shit people were suggesting for Punk that AEW thankfully ignored. False advertise a match you can’t deliver, troll the fans with something they don’t want like Carmella in the hope it makes it even bigger when you switch it out, hot-shot both a match and a title change within minutes. And then worst of all - chuck in a swerve~! and go in a direction that’s the antithesis of what you know the fans are wanting or expecting. Excited for the return of our top babyface, guys? Well more fool you, you mugs. She’s coming in as a heel.

It’s just exhausting. It doesn’t have to be this complicated or over-written. It feels like a migraine just consuming it so fuck knows what it must be like writing it!

You just know Bruce Prichard and Road Dogg are guffawing at the reaction online, convincing themselves they know better and that if we, “let it play out,” this will eventually get Bianca over as the top babyface. I guess time will tell. Darby Allin is a babyface though. And right now? Punk just saying how amazing he is and challenging him to a match at the pay per view sure as fuck did more for him than if he’d beaten Darby in ten seconds and started acting like a heel.

It’s been obvious for a long time that they don’t know what a babyface is. But now it’s glaringly obvious they don’t know what a heel is. Their version of heat is pissing the fans off so they don’t want to watch your program anymore rather than wanting to see good defeat evil. They think we are so pissed off at what Becky did that we will pay money and tune into see bianca get her revenge when in actual fact all it does is make people not care about bianca because she got gimped in 5 seconds and also hate the company for taking away it’s top babyface star that makes us happy. Fucking clueless. 

I mean I appreciate that he's working but yeah, it might not be the smartest way to do it. Pointless getting too uppity about it though because isn't it a great thing to see in 2021. It will be even better if AEW just do an old school WWE on it and not acknowledge it whatsoever. 

Glad Mox is preserved as the Shield's greatest produce by abstaining from social media. 

• Paid Members

When did the WWE camera work/ direction get so bad? I know they have the crazy cuts and mad follow the chair swing stuff. At Summerslam. There were a number of instances where they stayed with a shot when the cameraman was having difficulties. During the Brock entrance the camera is trying to frame Reigns' reaction. From, I think a ring apron position. It's already an awkward angle. The cameraman possibly jumps off the apron. Which clearly shakes the picture. Yet they stay with that shot. Why? Isn't this type of thing under Kevin Dunns' control? Has he lost his mind? Is the hard cam supposed to stutter when zooming out? There seemed to be a number of positional and technical issues during this show. I'm not sure if it was due to the wrestlers being in the wrong position or the camera direction. 

Regarding general technical issues, you could maybe give them the benefit of the doubt with it being a stadium show, it’s a different challenge to what they’re used to. The overall direction and obscene camera cuts has been at least 3-4 years I think, probably longer. I think the “cut after each punch” trope has been around since switching to HD, so that’s even longer. 

• Paid Members

All this does is establish that they'd do better business if they put their PPVs on a Saturday because more people will watch it live knowing its not a school night. It says nothing for the quality of the event. 

• Paid Members
On 8/23/2021 at 8:56 AM, theringmaster said:

I went out Saturday night, came in just as Summerslam started so ended up watching. From a purely selfish British perspective, PPV's on a Saturday night rocks, I know it will never become the 'norm' but i enjoy it when it happens.

I always found it infuriating how wrestling ppv's were on Sunday nights, which always struck me as a strange day to put on big sporting (ish) events. For years I'd have killed to have WWF PPVs on Saturday nights, but now I couldn't give a shit any more they start doing it! 

8 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

I always found it infuriating how wrestling ppv's were on Sunday nights, which always struck me as a strange day to put on big sporting (ish) events. For years I'd have killed to have WWF PPVs on Saturday nights, but now I couldn't give a shit any more they start doing it! 

This always used to annoy me then i found out it's because in America, Sunday is the big Sporting day (regular NFL games are on a Sunday for example) and families are more likely to watch a sporting event on a Sunday. Boxing is usually Saturday since it's real appeal is to adults. WWE have experimented over the years and Sunday is always supreme (Tuesday in Texas, Cyber events etc).

But yah, life would be easier for Brits if they were always on Saturday

Finally got round to finishing the show yesterday. Not an all time classic by any stretch but the main matches delivered.

Saw something about how Lesnar’s return was to plant the seed for a match with Roman at WM39 in 2023 - no fucking way is that true. They barely know what they’re doing 2 hours in advance, nevermind 2 Wrestlemanias.

I wish Rhea Ripley would land differently when she goes over the top rope. She just seems to go stiff as a board and land straight legged, she’s going to totally knacker her knees someday.

While the whole segment with Miz & Morrison was just filler (because that’s just what a 4hr show needed), I really felt for Xavier Woods when no-one reacted to him coming out dressed as Scott Hall and doing The Survey. I don’t know if it was a case of people just didn’t care for the segment or if they didn’t get the reference or not, but the whole thing just died.

Lashley winning by Ref Stoppage was a bit weak, but it gives Goldberg an out rather than losing clean again (he hasn’t won a match since February 2020). While I wouldn’t be overly fussed if he never wrestled again, if they are going to keep him around that at least allows a reason for a rematch

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Saw something about how Lesnar’s return was to plant the seed for a match with Roman at WM39 in 2023 - no fucking way is that true. They barely know what they’re doing 2 hours in advance, nevermind 2 Wrestlemanias.

far more likely that it's for the Saudi show in October.