WWE Summerslam Saturday August 21st 2021

For context I don’t watch WWE weekly tv and only the occasional PPV these days but here are my thoughts.

Thought the stadium setting looked great.

After a weekend where we had a superb and genuine wrestling moment; it was a little jarring to hear “brotastic”, “broriffic” and see cartoon birds. I just envisage the commentary teams walking round backstage like droids bumping into each other and repeating “biggest party of the summer”. Crowd loved the finish to the opener.

Poor Piper Niven being involved with that doll bollocks; dreadful match.

When George Lopez said “WWF” do you reckon Vince silently mouthed “twat” at him. 
Loved the shout of “this crowd is loving this match” during Priest-Shaemus as the crowd was shown sitting like church nice. That match seemed to go on a long time. 
The guest lady echoed Bret Hart with “the Summerslam” and “first time national champion tickled me” unlike the Peacock ad where Premier League is pronounced in an offensive manner.

What’s going on with Sasha then?

Have to contrast Cole’s handling of the big female return with how the AEW announcers handled Punks return. “Could it be? No it can’t be. It is”. They can’t help themselves and won’t let the moment breathe. If they had the Savage-Liz hug from Mania 7 now it would be “surely they won’t hug. Are they going to hug? They might hug. Oh my god they are. They’re hugging. Look at them hug”. It’s the Janet and John approach to commentary.

The merchandise ad with wrestlers cheerily miming to “I’m feeling good in this” would have been superb if they’d got Brock to do it…in a Rey Mysterio onesie.

Applause to Rhea Ripley for pretending to look at a watch during Charlottes entrance. 
Speaking of entrances Edges was superb but the match itself was a plodding affair for me.

The Vegas crowd shit on Goldberg; let that be the last time we see him please.

Enjoyed the main event; had me guessing how it would end and thought the AA off the 2nd rope was the finish. Brock looks insane and he’s copied my lockdown beard.

Edited by Project Nim
Grammar

Thinking about it more, poor Bianca Belair. She got absolutely fucked there and didn't even have a Honky Tonk Man super reign as a villain to justify a super squash. She became the new lead star for their women's division in APRIL. They managed to Wrestlemania 9 her but somehow actually much much worse. 

• Awards Moderator
3 minutes ago, Chili said:

Thinking about it more, poor Bianca Belair. She got absolutely fucked there and didn't even have a Honky Tonk Man super reign as a villain to justify a super squash. She became the new lead star for their women's division in APRIL. They managed to Wrestlemania 9 her but somehow actually much much worse. 

I’ve seen a fair bit of comparison to Kofi on Twitter. Hard-working Black wrestler is made champion and given a star making moment at WrestleMania only to be squashed in seconds and cast aside by a returning white wrestler they’d rather have on top.

I just don't understand WWE throwing away two returns, unadvertised on PPV people have already bought tickets & a sub for. Fair enough if you want to do Brock to have one, but at least hype a Becky return and give her a reason for coming back. It's just so stupid and encompasses the lazy and short sighted booking they are guilty of. She'll be just another womens wrestler in an overwhelmingly stale division in a months time.

1 minute ago, DCW said:

I just don't understand WWE throwing away two returns, unadvertised on PPV people have already bought tickets & a sub for. Fair enough if you want to do Brock to have one, but at least hype a Becky return and give her a reason for coming back. It's just so stupid and encompasses the lazy and short sighted booking they are guilty of. She'll be just another womens wrestler in an overwhelmingly stale division in a months time.

“Because anything can happen in the World Wrestling Federation!”

They’re chasing the headlines that follow and hoping to get people talking on social media (“OMGZ! THE MAN IS BAK~!”)in the hope that people watch the next show and stick around from there.

Anyway, I forgot this happened last night instead of tonight so all the big stuff spoilt for me as soon as I went on Twitter. I’ll get round to watching it at some point, but it’s not a high priority.

What a way to fuck over Bianca Belair though. Becky’s momentum had cooled somewhat even before she left last year, but they had an inbuilt story of her returning to win back the title she had to vacate.
You don’t even need her to have a match in the lead up to whatever the next PPV is, run pieces on Smackdown of her being a new mum and how she’s juggling that with her training to come back. 
But no, just skip all of that and have her win it back straight away

4 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

What a way to fuck over Bianca Belair though. Becky’s momentum had cooled somewhat even before she left last year, but they had an inbuilt story of her returning to win back the title she had to vacate.

That's what's also annoying, it was the Raw title she vacated. 

• Paid Members

I totally forgot it was in a stadium so that was a nice surprise.

Did anyone else catch Greg Hamilton introducing the gold medal winners? Is it me or did it look like he was having some kind of medical episode? I was a little worried but he seemed fine later on.

The Belair squash was baffling, they did a great job of showcasing her at WrestleMania and trying to build on that and it feels like it was for nothing.