WWE Summerslam Saturday August 21st 2021

• Paid Members

I can't imagine they'd try and do anything to respond to Punk's return anyway. If they don't view AEW as competition they won't care about a full arena giving somebody a huge pop like that. It could be a watershed moment and the start of a real upward trend, or it could be Hogan to WCW. I'm leaning more toward the former, but I would imagine if anybody in WWE is actually bothered they'll be hoping it's the latter. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I can't imagine they'd try and do anything to respond to Punk's return anyway. If they don't view AEW as competition they won't care about a full arena giving somebody a huge pop like that. It could be a watershed moment and the start of a real upward trend, or it could be Hogan to WCW. I'm leaning more toward the former, but I would imagine if anybody in WWE is actually bothered they'll be hoping it's the latter. 

WWE has always been fearful of other wrestling companies, they just don’t publicly admit it.

With TNA, which didn’t have the same resources nor big time feel of AEW, there were countless examples of contract tampering and attempts to cut their legs off. Counter programming Bret’s return to clash with Hogan’s debut etc.

With AEW, which as a TV product is just as impressive as any WWE show while also having the resources to compete financially, there is just no way that higher ups aren’t fully aware of the threat it poses.

Its not quite WCW yet but it could get there, Quick. And the Hogan thing, I mean, Hogan to WCW brought in the nWo later on down the line, so I'd hope he was the Hogan of AEW. Not quite the same of course but someone who takes them over the edge. Vince may not admit it but Punk was a guy they'd love to get back, And he's now endorsing this new brand. Its very exciting. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Counter programming Bret’s return to clash with Hogan’s debut etc.

You're quite right, and WWE are guilty of counter programming in lots of examples,  but in fairness to WWE, in that instance TNA did decide to move their show head-to-head with Raw so that's probably fair enough. 

• Paid Members

They'll need to do something with their product surely?? AEW is just so completely ahead in every possible aspect in terms of output and fan enjoyment. 

I cannot get my head around the fact that the biggest wrestling company there is doesn't know how to build a feud or tell a logical story. Goldberg comes back and instantly gets a title shot. If you look at every WWE title there's no reason to care about any of them because you know who's retaining and who's not. Folk get a belt for six months and then it changes. In AEW, every belt has a number of possible scenarios or storylines playing out around them, you don't know if or when belts are going to change and that's incredibly satisfying as a fan. It keeps people invested. 

Summer slam will do horrible numbers I expect because nobody cares. AEW is where it's at.

I've been playing WWE 2K19 recently and just out of curiosity I counted how many people on that active roster are no longer there. 72 and theres probably a few that I've missed not knowing if they're still employed or not. 

72 people have left/been released since the game came out nearly 3 years ago. That number, to me, is insane. 

If the rumors of them looking to sell it are true then I can see why there's zero effort going into the shows. As someone else said, that's the next guys problem.

Skimmed through the show. The commentary is unbearable. I like Pat McAfee and Jimmy Smith is decent but it's just what everyone has to SAY. Just a collection of aliens on another planet.

Anyway, the main thing: they made Bianca Belair look like a fucking moron. A total loser. Marking out like a little girl and then the 'match' itself. That should never have happened to her. Awful.

Let's try and be positive: I liked Seth v Edge, wasn't sensational by any means but they'd put effort into the story leading up to it. And the return at the end... he looked amazing. What a guy.

Edited by Mr.Showtime
Adding nice things

19 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I can't imagine they'd try and do anything to respond to Punk's return anyway. 

19 hours ago, Chili said:

So while they probably won't do anything, it definitely bothers them.

These aged well.

Edited by cobra_gordo

The Becky Lynch thing feels like more of a reaction to AEW’s current buzz levels.

I’m willing to accept they probably had Brock planned (a man like that doesn’t sign a contract in 24 hours), but the way they seem to have wedged that Becky angle in suggests there was no time for it but they wanted to do something.

It’s really gross too, and misses the point about why talent may prefer to work for AEW. That was them spending 6 months with Bianca BelAir only to find they need space for another pawn on the chess board so just whacked her out the way. Really gross.

Maybe it’ll be her Daniel Bryan against Sheamus moment, but I doubt it.