AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, dopper said:

I agree with him.

What did we miss or overlook in those two matches?

I absolutely love Minoru Suzuki, but I'm disappointed with how his matches have been in AEW. There's enough there for me to enjoy as a fan, but I'm not sure he'll have won over anyone new. There was a little too much and not enough happening at the same time. My favourite stuff with Suzuki is when it's simple, but just keeps going - those exchanges of forearms and chops going until they become exciting again from sheer 'how much can these fuckers take?' exhaustion. Or when there's absolute chaos with him just going around doing his thing. Nothing really got a chance to settle in, and it felt a bit like he was consciously checking where he should be next. It felt like a very different environment, and not one he immediately adapted to. The Mox match could have been a belter with five more minutes, I think. 

Not necessarily anyone's fault - these things happen sometimes. It was fun to get him at all - I just think it's a shame that it won't have convinced more people. He has an odd charisma, and it wasn't necessarily coming across when it could have.

• Paid Members

Suzuki is amazing but I can completely understand being underwhelmed if you see him without any context and can only base your judgment on his two AEW matches.

Neither a panicked, rushed one-on-one with Moxley nor an average weapons tag match, in front of an exhausted crowd, with a weird, awkward finish is going to play to his strengths.

Fingers crossed this isn’t the end of his AEW run. I think there’s an excellent hoss match to be had with Suzuki and Miro.

• Paid Members

Suzuki has been - I don't want to say coasting, but certainly heavily relying upon - his reputation for a little while now. Without knowing that reputation and history, I can see why his AEW appearances wouldn't really sell him to a first-time viewer.

It's a tough one isn't it. You get that cool crossover appeal for fans that know them. But AEW won't invest time in building up part timers or anything. And as much as you can probably do a nice video package on a guy like Suzuki you just don't get that history that exists.

It's why something like Danielson/Omega works far better. You just know that the fans are super invested and knowledgeable about both guys. So even though one hasn't been in AEW for long, there's already a huge amount of history there. You just won't get that with the majority of overseas talent.

Even I love Suzuki but as someone who dips in and out of Japanese wrestling my excitement will be on a different level to others.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Suzuki has been - I don't want to say coasting, but certainly heavily relying upon - his reputation for a little while now. Without knowing that reputation and history, I can see why his AEW appearances wouldn't really sell him to a first-time viewer.

I probably missed it on commentary but I only know now after looking on Wikipedia that he was a big part of MMA. I didn't realise he did MMA. I just thought his gimmick was he's got a screw loose and is pretty hard. Because he's older I've had to go along with it a bit trying to suspend my disbelief. Knowing that bit of his story helps add some legitimacy though. 

I know nothing of his matches in Japan so I imagine I'm missing out on quite a lot. He's better than the Japanese guy Mox faced at All Out who I thought was awful - he was going through the motions and pretty clumsy. I'm not that fussed about Suzuki from what I've seen though. 

12 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

Where has all the Bray debuting come from? Has there been a tweet or such? This is about aa far as I venture on the internet. 

I have no idea if he has a no compete. If he did it runs out right near Halloween. I think people are just scared he's gonna turn up and do spooky bollocks and ruin the Dark Order. It's the WWE burned us effect and Wyatt being a rather meh for a while. 

He was tweeting during the wwe event last night. That’s apparently what constitutes he is debuting a month before his non complete expires. Usual twitter Shite 

51 minutes ago, Chili said:

I have no idea if he has a no compete. If he did it runs out right near Halloween. I think people are just scared he's gonna turn up and do spooky bollocks and ruin the Dark Order. It's the WWE burned us effect and Wyatt being a rather meh for a while. 

I would quite happily see the original, creepy cult leader from the bayou Bray Wyatt in AEW.

But, yeah, no thanks to the other stuff.

Edited by 69MeDon

I’m surprised people think he’s going to turn up at AEW and do loads of spooky magic shit - all that rubbish absolutely stank of WWE and I’d be shocked if that wasn’t thrust upon him by such good shit man.

Edited by Slapnut

One thing I do like with Taz and Jericho and the like is the way they put both wrestlers over and compliment them, even if sworn enemies. Gives an undertone of respect and admiration between the talent rather than a very simple 'heel/face' narrative.

• Paid Members

I wonder whether Danielson is going to want a match against MiSu while he's hanging around in AEW. That could be a heck of a match.