Darkside of the Ring season 3 discussion

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

It just feels like they're running out of things to talk about now. Soon they'll just be doing episodes on the List of Sleaze.

One of the main selling points of these, when they started, is that they weren't just aimed at wrestling fans. They told stories that were focused on subjects that would have a more universal interest. What interest is there in Black Saturday beyond the IWC?

Zandig and CZW wouldn't really fall into DSOTR, as others pointed out, the promotion and Zandig never really hit anything too troublesome, anything on Zandig is pretty much after he sold CZW/stopped wrestling. It's impact on elevating more dangerous risks in wrestling would be a good accompanant to a death match episode. (Weed whacker, light tubes and then more deranged gusset plates/needles.)

For those known mostly from their CZW work/days Chris Cash died in a motorbike accident, Trent Acid succumbed to his drug addiction long after he left the promotion. Justice Pain killed himself, Nate Hatred died in a car crash and Rockin Rebel was the key figure in his suicide/murder of his wife.

I used to love Zandig but since he's gone full pelt maga whacko, it's more fondness for who he was. 2004 is when he first started his decline after a match with Messiah when took a powerbomb on the outside and his head just bounced off the floor. Year on year his participation dwindled both backstage and in ring. His passion went down and his behaviour became more erratic with each concussion/heavy bump he took. After the recession of 2008 it sucked the life/money out of him and he sold up to DJ Hyde, I'm glad he made some money out of it but I'd rather he'd have just shut up shop, the promotion had passed its heyday and was beginning it's slide. It's a sorry sight to see these days.

To put your body through all of that and come out the other end, it should have been a good period for Zandig but over the next few years his youngest son committed suicide and his oldest tried to kill himself but was left disabled by his attempt. That's enough to send anyone over the edge. I don't agree with a lot of his politics or current views but as a death match wrestler and a character he's one of my favourites.

I also find it hilarious that despite his reputation around his poorly skilled pyrotechnics, DJ Hyde and co had to pay him a good stack of cash to rig their gimmicks for the Onita match at Cage of Death 20.

Yeah Zandig was a character, completely out there, talking of CZW I wasn't aware until earlier on that despite being a different company all together they still run the TOD annually. There's many promotions for deathmatches these days, more to watch than I remember there being in the early-mid '00s, but I didn't know CZW was still having TODs. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

What interest is there in Black Saturday

I'm just pleased Black Saturday was an actual day and not a gimmick thought up by Vince. 

Edited by Lion_of_the_Midlands
Mister T. Sorry missed a t.

1 hour ago, NeverYield said:

but I didn't know CZW was still having TODs. 

They're sadly not a patch on the golden early to mid 00's events though, there was a fucked up kind of magic in the air for a few years that the whole US scene could never recapture. I  partially blame the death of bootleg VHS tapes.

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

They're sadly not a patch on the golden early to mid 00's events though, there was a fucked up kind of magic in the air for a few years that the whole US scene could never recapture. I  partially blame the death of bootleg VHS tapes.

I used to get a load of deathmatch DVDs off of eBay, they used to just Come in little plastic packages like the ones you'd get in them old CD cases from way back then. 

Yeah with all the stuff that's doing the rounds deathmatch wise these days, it's nowhere near the same as them mid 00's days, good times. 

8 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

What interest is there in Black Saturday beyond the IWC?

Lapsed Fan did a really good short series in Black Saturday and got a lot of good information from it plus a load of shit i'd never heard before and a few myths and rumours cleared up. If you know nothing or only vagueries about how Vince came to power outside of the average "bought talent/was a grass" stuff it's a good insight into him being a snake

16 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

What could possibly be the “dark side” of big QuakeSharkGolga? 

I think he was once part of an online group that was full of absolute dangers, so maybe it’s about that?

With Earthquake I guess you could cover his sumo career which might have something there, the incident with Koji Kitao is absolutely going in there and maybe possibly his illness in later life. I agree it isn't DSOTR kinda stuff but also I fucking love Earthquake so him just getting a small doc treatment is alright by me.

Not that I was interested as it’s been done to death but was a Kurt Angle episode nixed then? They’ve been known to start filming episodes then when it leaks stop because they can’t get the right people to talk. Believe that’s what happened with Scott Hall and Mike Awesome episodes.

Some good sounding episodes there though - looking forward to it. 

• Paid Members

Chris Colt was one I went on a bit of a deep dive on a while ago and it absolutely could be the best episode of the lot. So much tragedy in his life, controversial gimmicks, choices of lifestyle post wrestling and while wrestling and how he died, it's one of those episodes that will be a solid hour about a name you've maybe not heard too much about.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

What could possibly be the “dark side” of big QuakeSharkGolga? 

Tenta Oscuro