Darkside of the Ring season 3 discussion

IANdrewDiceClay

3 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

What would this be about? There's not really any controversies around CZW. 

John Zandig, a previously untrained explosives expert opens up a wrestling school making money training others when he arguably was never any more capable or qualified than they were at the time. The "school" ended up becoming CZW where he booked himself and other trainees at the top in the early years. The whole ultraviolence theme in itself with the use of meat hooksz weed whackers, nearly killing/paralysing himself and multiple others. 

The biggest "stars" from the early years are mainly dead or heavily afflicted by injuries incurred. 

I also can't believe Zandig is only 52 meaning in his "pomp" he'd have only been in his early to mid 30s.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Jonny Vegas said:

John Zandig, a previously untrained explosives expert opens up a wrestling school making money training others when he arguably was never any more capable or qualified than they were at the time. The "school" ended up becoming CZW where he booked himself and other trainees at the top in the early years. The whole ultraviolence theme in itself with the use of meat hooksz weed whackers, nearly killing/paralysing himself and multiple others. 

The biggest "stars" from the early years are mainly dead or heavily afflicted by injuries incurred. 

I also can't believe Zandig is only 52 meaning in his "pomp" he'd have only been in his early to mid 30s.

I love how that "explosives expert" label has stuck to Zandig over the years. He's a plumber! Even he had admitted he doesn't know anything about explosives, hence why almost all the time he used them they pretty much always fucked up and didn’t work properly. Best example being Cage of Death 3 when they blew up in Lobo's face before the match even started.

As for biggest stars, out of Zandig, Nick Mondo, Wifebeater, Lobo, Ric Blade, Trent Acid, Ruckus, Nick Gage and Justice Pain only two of them have died - both years after they wrestled for CZW and not really related. As for the rest, they all seem to be ok health wise these days as far as I know. Plenty of indie wrestlers who have worked CZW have died in the years since but not really anything you could specifically tie to CZW.

CZW was a scuzzy promotion content wise but Zandig was a pretty reliable promoter, always paid his wrestlers and no real dirt has ever come up about him or the company. Ian Rotten and IWA Mid South have them beat easy of that count.

I'd love a proper CZW documentary but there's not really a "dark side" to it.

I also fucking love Zandig. An insane, ridiculous character who cracks me up but is also a way better wrestler than he's given credit for.

• Paid Members

Yeah. Even if we wanted to get into the darkest deaths, there have been more heroin overdoses and suicides among ECW than CZW alumni.

38 minutes ago, NeverYield said:

CZW was brilliant I thought, I know it's still operating, I watched its scouting combine the other night, but its nothing like it was back in the day.

Wish it was though, used to love it. 

We've got a dedicated deathmatch thread if that's your thing.

Ian Rotten would need 3 parts. The most henious thing imo was offering JC Bayley drugs to work deathmatches, and when JC died, he went to his funeral and demanded gas money from the corpse. (How he thought he'd get that, I'll never know, probably nicked his wallet).

Edited by TheScarlettChad

I recently watched that Mike Levy incident again the other day and it made me angry just watching it, pure liberty taking and bullying, I liked Devon Moore for the the most part until that, those curb stomps and then his kick was bullshit.

You had a fat out of shape mess and a man who's likely 10 stone at best bullying someone who likely has some sort of learning difficulties, acting like legitimate fighters or something like that, watching it just makes you want to get the fuck beaten out of them for taking the piss and advantage of Levy who is ultimately harmless.

Edited by NeverYield

On the subject of Ian Rotten he assaulted two 10 or 11 year old girls at a show on one occasion, I remember a lot of talk previously about numerous allegations of abuse including sexual abuse towards Mickie Knuckles.

There were also allegations that he pressured her into doing an IWA:MS show days after she signed a contract with TNA when she wasn't supposed to. She broke her leg in the match  had her contract ripped up.

An utter piece of shit all round by all accounts but plenty to be explored in a multi episode DSOTR.

16 hours ago, Jonny Vegas said:

There were also allegations that he pressured her into doing an IWA:MS show days after she signed a contract with TNA when she wasn't supposed to. She broke her leg in the match  had her contract ripped up.

Did this lead to some guy getting his head kicked in during a match because they blamed him for it, and he took the beating because he wanted to pay his dues or some bollocks?

28 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Did this lead to some guy getting his head kicked in during a match because they blamed him for it, and he took the beating because he wanted to pay his dues or some bollocks?

I don't think the two are linked, they wrongly thought that lad wronged them in some other way.

44 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Mike Levy.

Not directly but it was all in the same close time frame. From memory Mike Levy had contacted Ian Rotten asking to be in KOTDM and saying he was an "internet sensation". I believe he was essentially just a backyarder and there's been a lot of talk since that Levy has or may have mild learning difficulties.

Rotten booked him to face Mickie Knuckles (who was living with Rotten, his wife and kid at the time and Rotten was shagging behind his wife's back).

MK beat the living shit out of Levy to the point that Levy began stiffing her back and she ended up with a big welt on her forehead - the day or week before she was due to be on PPV for TNA I believe.

End of the match Rotten sends out Devon Moore and Tank who both beat the shit out of him including top rope curb stomps face first into a ladder.

Pondo, Rotten, and Rotten's kid who was probably about 13 at the time came out and put the boots into him some more.

The video of the entire thing is on YouTube and the video of MK's leg break not long after it with Rotten whimpering as he realises that TNA money is about to disappear are both quite the watch.

Edited by Jonny Vegas