Darkside of the Ring season 3 discussion

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

It's absolutely outrageous if Kurt angle has an episode but somehow Jeff hardy has evaded one yet again 

The thing is Kurt has been very open about his struggles when he was physically messed up and seems like he's come back out on the other side better. They could even play it as the all American boy who got corrupted by the bright lights and glamour of New York.

Jeff on the other hand would have narration from a current co-worker talking about how messed up he was and is under contract with an owner with enough spare money to start his own wrestling company because he was bored. The sheer amount that wouldn't be talked about for fear of litigation or sealed up, it'd be a dreadful episode.

Harley Race and Beefcake I must admit I don't know enough about their history for why it would make a Dark Side episode but I guess that's why it'll make an interesting watch. Even for someone who loves wrestling I'd be learning something, not treading over old ground.

Black Saturday has all the makings of a great sleeper episode depending on what talking heads they have lined up for it.

26 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Harley Race and Beefcake I must admit I don't know enough about their history for why it would make a Dark Side episode but I guess that's why it'll make an interesting watch. 

Without giving too much away, both Harley Race and Brutus Beefcake were involved in separate terrible accidents outside the ring that impacted their lives. I’m guessing there will be a lot of focus on the accidents.

Edited by LCJ

10 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

What's the "dark side" of The Sandman? I'm not aware of anything other than being a bit of a pisshead.

As shown by alot of the subject matters last season, they almost do straight biographies of people these days, which is what a Sandman one would seemingly be done like. 

Beefcake, Race, Sandman and Bagwell all sound like they will be very bland episodes. Even Angle, whose discussed his problems ad nauseum, won't be treading any new ground with his one. Broke neck, 70 pills a day, etc etc. 

Edited by Dai

On 1/19/2024 at 9:51 PM, LaGoosh said:

What's the "dark side" of The Sandman? I'm not aware of anything other than being a bit of a pisshead.

Yeah, aside from the knob out incident in ECW Sandman has always come across as one of those Lemmy "a life well lived" types rather than anything you'd expect on DSOTR, but maybe if they've got him involved in the production there are stories from his personal life we may not know about.  I know remarkably little about Sandman himself and I can't imagine the years of alcohol and abuse to his body haven't had some impact.  Still, I'm always amazed at how healthy and happy he seems in clips/photos whenever recent ones appear online. 

According to wikipedia he was arrested a couple of times before getting into wrestling. I suppose that's a starting point, takes up wrestling to avoid the life of crime. Ends up in the world of ECW where his family get brought into the storylines. Drink, drugs, dysfunctional family life. Big break to WCW doesn't work out. Then...wrap up presenting modern day as a happy ending.

• Paid Members

Sandman consistently worked drunk, and famously worked a match while high on LSD. To people not as schooled on wrestling as most of us, "this guy's whole schtick was that he was drunk and bleeding before he got in the ring, and he did an angle where his opponent stole his wife and kid" is probably more than enough content for a "look at how scuzzy wrestling can be" episode, with the right choice of stories and talking heads involved. 

Chris Adams is likely the "highlight" for lack of a better term, but most of how entertaining any given episode is will come down to what stories they've uncovered, and who they've managed to convince to talk to them.

The Sandman crucifixion angle might get a little coverage as well. Other than that perhaps a crazy drunk who often wrestled high on drugs mostly in a company filled with heavy drug users now being in relatively good condition leading a reltively normal life is the story?

However...wasn't he also a meth head on the brink at one stage? Some turnaround.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, TheScarlettChad said:

Wasn't Sandman a contractor in his free time when he wasn't wrestling?

Yeah pretty sure he owned a successful construction business and also a successful bar too.