Wrestlemania 37 - April 10th & 11th

Supremo

• Paid Members

Between the aforementioned awful Sister Abigail fan fiction, the moans that Vince is burying him & that Goldberg ruined him, and the conspiracy theories that it was Bo Dallas out there last night (you can tell by the size of the neck tattoo, apparently), Fiend Twitter is a baffling yet amusing read today.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Statto said:

Between the aforementioned awful Sister Abigail fan fiction, the moans that Vince is burying him & that Goldberg ruined him, and the conspiracy theories that it was Bo Dallas out there last night (you can tell by the size of the neck tattoo, apparently), Fiend Twitter is a baffling yet amusing read today.

TBF I did think Bray Wyatt/Fiend/Husky Harris looked the slimmest he has ever looked last night. But of course, the conspiracy stuff is all rot.

• Paid Members

Yes, that much is true.

But I do like the concept that they sent Bo Dallas out there posing as The Fiend, but then didn't do anything with it like seeing both at the same time, disappears on one place & appears miles away within a millisecond etc. They just sent him out there to have the match & to the job, because why not?

I thought Night 2 was an absolute slog, and there were very few highlights if any.

Titus' "Ahoy mateys" channeling Kramers "Not BLOODY likely" was nice, as was KO/Sami and the Logan Paul bits, but overall this was a bit of a shit show and just reminded me of the 240 hour Manias we've had recently.

The main event I thought started slowly and built well, but I am amazed they let Edge and Reigns deliver Conchairto's. Right result though.

1 hour ago, Yakashi said:

Imagine knowing that a story got out about Becky doing a segment with Bayley, looking at your script and realising you’ve put the Bellas there and then still going ahead with it. 

I think that's a harsh read. It's next to impossible to know how wide-reaching rumours like that are. Bayley deserved some kind of moment in front of the crowd after the year she's had (I'd argue that she deserved a match - a male star of that statures is very unlikely to be left off the card - but that's beside the point) - why should you change your plans based on online chatter? 

It's not like they'd hyped anything, or suggested that Bayley would be in a segment with two "hall of fame level stars" or anything like that. I give WWE a pass on this one. 

2 hours ago, Nick James said:

I think adding Daniel Bryan was actually a hindrance to the Main Event and i went in to that match wanting him to win. The crowd we not as bothered about him as they were about Edge and Roman, which was a huge surprise and it just made Bryan feel like a spare prick at a wedding. Very surprised at the crowd reaction to Edge, i thought he would have been booed. 

I was surprised at that too, although the reaction to Bryan being added to the match on social media seemed to be pretty negative. I wonder what would have happened had Bryan won the Rumble, and Edge ended up finding his way into the match instead? 

Whatever the case, I thought the finish, where Roman pinned both men, was absolutely tremendous. Although I generally favour singles matches, that visual was so strong that I think this worked incredibly well. 

• Paid Members

I love that Bray Wyatt fans will spend forever making huge leaps and connecting dots that aren't there to convince themselves he's a creative genius but even they can't believe he'd spend his four months off work losing a bit of weight.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I love that Bray Wyatt fans will spend forever making huge leaps and connecting dots that aren't there to convince themselves he's a creative genius but even they can't believe he'd spend his four months off work losing a bit of weight.

He was off TV for like a year between becoming The Fiend and didn’t lose a bit. Then again, he has been set on fire and murdered since TLC so maybe it’s the Flame Diet or he just burnt a load of calories 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

the whole "it's Bo Dallas!" thing is so fucking smug as well. There's no reason why, if they wanted someone else to portray The Fiend, that they would necessarily go to Bo Dallas. But they get to prove how "smart" they are in knowing they're brothers, even though they've been fantasy booking Bo Dallas as part of the Wyatt Family since day one and (rightly) none of it has ever amounted to anything. 

Well I really enjoyed the first night but the second one never really kicked into high gear until the main event. Everything taken into account, I'd say it was a solid Mania overall though.

The two night thing can be looked at in two ways, it beats a 7 hour slog with all these matches over the course of one night but imagine an 8 or 9 match card with the major matches on both nights. Everyone would be raving over the show.

Didn't help that it opened with that Fiend/Orton shite and for some reason the Womens Tag Title match was the longest match on the show until the main event whilst Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn got 9 minutes.  A nice collection of their greatest hits even if not given the time to be one of their best matches. Sheamus/Riddle was good and Big E/Crews serviceable too.

Ripley and Asuka was probably the only slightly disappointing one of the four big title matches over these two nights, it was nothing bad but it never really got going before it was over.

The triple threat main event was terrific though, as you'd expect from Reigns, Edge and Bryan. I think a lot of us thought they added Bryan to get the title off Reigns but maybe they actually did it and turned Edge so they could keep it on him. Either way, Reigns looked great again and should be champion for the next 12 months. 

• Paid Members

Yeah those who buy into The Fiend stuff are special brew for sure. When I was in school/college, one of my better mates was a huge Mankind fan, big into the Taker/Kane stuff and genuinely just loved anything a bit cooky and supernatural. Running into him in town a few months back, he immediately brought up how brilliant he though Bray Wyatt was, how intelligent the build and the character was and what not. I think it says more for the imagination of those people who book their own story. But ultimately, The Fiend may well be massively shit, but the only people who really get into it are younglings who are scared of the supernatural stuff, or adults who perv over the darkness of it all. 

The less said about pushing Bliss into that whole thing, the better. She probably needs a wash looking at her Twitter replies.

Randy/Fiend - I mean I think I'd enjoy The Fiend's entrance just as one of those spectacle things if I was there live. But it's knowing you still have to see him wrestle after that's a problem. So one RKO is more powerful than a bazillion curb stomps? That's pretty impressive. I am looking forward to whatever they try to explain it all away with. It was kept short which was good. Randy outdid himself with taking the piss out of Mandy Rose on the way down the ramp. Nothing was beating that.

Having Hogan dressed as a pirate almost - ALMOST - made it worth dragging him along. Almost.

I watched three Tamina matches in less than a week. If I was ever going to boycott the WWE Network now on Peacock but not really then it should probably be now. I hope she plays up that Nia slam like it's Hogan/Andre and tells everyone on SmackDown how she had her over her head and all that. Fuck Tamina though. Can tell how much people hate Nia when they're cheering for bloody Tamina. Natalya was there too trying to encourage people to cheer her despite her only getting this match because she got pissy about that Fox twitter account. Fuck off. I still don't understand how this match was what you come up with as a WrestleMania worthy tag match. Just why? You're better off literally booking a toilet break and just letting everyone go for a poo.

KO/Zayn was solid. Good story and the right ending. Not the best we've ever seen from them but enjoyable.

Sheamus/Riddle - I enjoy two guys just hitting the shit out of each other. Sheamus is great. Riddle is also more than capable of putting on good matches. He's just a bit of a twat isn't he? Apart from the rope botch I thought this was decent enough, if not quite Mania calibre.

Apollo/Big E - probably the same as above really. Decent but not a Mania match and having to pretend we don't know who the guy at the end was is daft.

Ripley/Asuka - getting repetitive here but yep good match not great or Mania standard especially after the night before. This needed more backstory and more heat. It was really just two decent wrestlers having a decent match but nothing for anyone to really sink their teeth into. A bit of an underwhelming win for Rhea really but still pleased for her.

Bayley/Bellas - poor Bayley. Poor poor Bayley. I'd have preferred a 1 on 1 match with Michael Cole over that.

Roman/Edge/Bryan - really enjoyed that. Felt like a proper Mania main event and thought everyone worked together really well. I'd definitely be up for a rematch. Roman pinning both guys at the end was perfect.

All in all it wasn't terrible. I much preferred the first night and absolutely overall they could do with getting rid of some of the dead wood and accepting that not everyone deserves to be on WrestleMania because some of them are shit.