Wrestlemania 37 - April 10th & 11th

Supremo

• Paid Members

Didn't she break character when Bayley beat her at Takeover and celebrate in the ring with her. If this was Savage giving Hogan a massive hug at the end of Mania V then there'd be valid reason for an outcry, but people tend to be smarter to the business nowadays. Although, it's a good job Bill Watts isn't booking. 

I'm stunned (but pleasantly so) at the result of the main event. I didn't think there was a chance in hell that they'd have the first show with fans back end with Reigns winning. It's absolutely the right decision, but I fully expected either an Edge or Bryan win, only for Reigns to regain the belt almost immediately. 

Given that McIntyre was beaten by Lashley, I suspect the idea may be to draft him over to Smackdown and have him win the Universal title at Summerslam or something. I really hope that doesn't happen though. I'm stupidly invested in Big E being the person to dethrone Reigns, preferably at Wrestlemania next year. I don't want to see Big E defeat Lashley - for me, Big E vs. Reigns is the most exciting match the company can offer right now, and I strongly feel that the right way to end Reigns' fantastic title run is by crowning a new star, rather than by cementing the status of an existing one (ie. McIntyre). 

Call me old fashioned but it's too much quantity over quality for me.

Spreading over 2 nights to make as much money as possible when it should just be streamlined into the best 4/5 hour the company has to offer at their biggest event of the year.

The WWE Champion, Universal Champion, New Intercontinental Champion, New U.S. Champion, New Raw Tag Team Champions, SmackDown Tag Team Champions, Women’s Tag Team Champions, NXT World Champion, NXT North American Champion, new NXT Women’s Champion

... are all heels.

There may be more but I don’t follow the product enough to know if Ripley, Belair, Cruiserweight Champion, NXT Tag Champs etc are heels or faces.

I guess it's a case of tastes but breaking character is one of the reasons I rarely watch WWE barring occasional moments or matches. If you like entertainment then fine, but I prefer wrestling as it was. 

I can't imagine Austin just happy to be there or grinning after a great match (unless in context of the story). Its fine people knowing it's scripted but I don't want it blatantly in my face. On screen or not, just stay in character. I don't want a movie antagonist, at the end of the movie, breaking character and laughing/smiling having gotten beat by the super hero good guy. 

Given they have theel lowest viewership they have had (or close to it) I'd suggest this 'I'm here to entertain you' narrative isn't pulling in fans of wrestling. 

4 minutes ago, Winston said:

Call me old fashioned but it's too much quantity over quality for me.

Spreading over 2 nights to make as much money as possible when it should just be streamlined into the best 4/5 hour the company has to offer at their biggest event of the year.

I say chop the bloody thing to 3-3.5 hours max. No need to cram every fucker on the card. I haven't watched one in full since 26 because they go on and on and on. 

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Plus to be honest there's not a single moment I can think of last night that I actually thought they were interfering with the crowd noise. So if they've found a less obvious way of doing it than before then good.

Ive not watched much WWE in about 2 years, not even last years Mania. I thought the crowd noise was massively noticeable all night. Really surprised by a few of you saying you werent bothered by it.

The best were the 'cheers' after a millisecond of genuine Booing whenever Hogan opened his mouth at the start. 

I cant believe Hogan actually got booed! Considering how blind/forgiving most fans are, he's actually fucked it. In shitty Florida too!

10 hours ago, Perry said:

Strange, Ive only watched Night 1 so far but there were leg slaps all over the place, including a slow mo (with leg slap) of Seth smacking Cesaro in the back of the head.  

Edited by Rob Lowe
Night 1 Hogan Booing vid

30 minutes ago, dopper said:

The WWE Champion, Universal Champion, New Intercontinental Champion, New U.S. Champion, New Raw Tag Team Champions, SmackDown Tag Team Champions, Women’s Tag Team Champions, NXT World Champion, NXT North American Champion, new NXT Women’s Champion

... are all heels.

There may be more but I don’t follow the product enough to know if Ripley, Belair, Cruiserweight Champion, NXT Tag Champs etc are heels or faces.

Ripley has been leaning more to heel. The only face champions right now are Bianca, MSK (the new NXT Tag champions), Truth, Pretty Deadly (the UK Tag champions), I think, and A Kid (UK Heritage champion)

32 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

the first hour of night 2 maybe the worst hour of Wrestlemania ever.

I wouldn't go that far. You don't have to look far to find a worse hour of Wrestlemania - you could take your pick from what they had to offer last year, for example. Heck, I'd take the first hour of last night's show over the overrated (and tedious) iron man match from Wrestlemania 12. 

10 minutes ago, Perry said:

WWE never disappoint, most were thinking the Bayley stuff was going to lead to a Becky or Ronda return, but instead we got the Bellas.

I don't think that's fair on WWE. They didn't promise the return of Becky or Ronda, and we don't definitively know how ready either are for a comeback. Not only was it not advertised, it wasn't even hinted at - so they've not let anyone down here. Of course I'd have preferred to see Becky or Ronda come back, but the company can hardly be blamed for the internet rumours that suggested they might. 

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

the first hour of night 2 maybe the worst hour of Wrestlemania ever.

Come on, that's hyperbole. Apart from Mania 3 and the main event of 5, those first 6 are dreadful for anything but nostolgia nonces like us. Fiend/Orton was disappointingly OK for me. I wanted to see an absolute shitshow. It was the only thing I was looking forward to on Mania and it was just a match, tiny bit of hocus pocus and an Orton win. Randy looked great in the white gear.

Decent couple of nights, I thought. Second night wasn't as good but I loved KO/Sami.

Got to say, the WWE video package department are 7 star performers. Almost every match had an incredible epic video that made their TV look like Series 1 of Lost or something instead of the absolute netherworld we all loosely follow each week.

I really enjoyed night one but I'm having to tap out part way through two, I might give the rest a watch later but fuck it's a poor start. The Fiend v Orton match was dogshit, it should never have taken place in the ring and now we have Bray v Bliss? Wtf.

The women's tag match went on for how long? Felt like half an hour at least. Sami v KO I guess was fine for how short it was, it felt like they condensed a potential classic into ten minutes.

Khali and RVD were a good laugh, I'd like to see Rob on TV as the stoner business guy hiring people to be his runners.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Got to say, the WWE video package department are 7 star performers. Almost every match had an incredible epic video that made their TV look like Series 1 of Lost or something instead of the absolute netherworld we all loosely follow each week.

Couldn’t agree more.

I watched up to the end of the Strowman/Shane steel cage match simply as it was a Saturday night and the intrigue of performing in front of a crowd again.

Now I’m so lapsed that I genuinely don’t even know what half the WWE roster looks like these days, let alone the storylines going into the show.

But fair play, the excellent Edge/Heyman skit shown on the Network beforehand and the myriad of recap videos on the pre-show did a great job of summing up the storylines for even a total layman like myself.

I didn’t, and probably never will, watch the Sunday portion.

If I didn’t know better I’d be half tempted to start watching again, but know full well that I’ll watch 30 seconds of Channel 5’s Raw highlights and be appalled by the over production and switch off completely for another year.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Perry said:

WWE never disappoint,

JK Simmons Spider-Man gif 

31 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Come on, that's hyperbole. 

No, it’s an opinion. And maybe if I broke every Wrestlemania by hour, you could be right. But judge on what happened this hour like Titus and Hogan adding nothing but a laugh about them trying to cover up the boos from Hogan. The Bray match which had an intro that went too long and ended with a shit match, and an absolute stinker of a woman’s match that went far too long, I’ve never felt less interested.

Also I forgot the band for Rhea Ripley. That was an absolute stinker of a performance wasn’t it. And all of you saying Justin Roberts is the worst ring announcer have obviously never heard Greg Hamilton. Awful!

Edited by Hannibal Scorch