Wrestlemania 37 - April 10th & 11th

Supremo

They’ve painted themselves into a silly corner if that’s the plan though.

Like I said earlier, he drags Edge over Bryan so Edge’s shoulders are down as the ref counts. So even if you argue Edge sort of pinned Bryan, he was also being pinned himself at the same.

Both Bryan and Edge were counted out for 3, so it’d be shit to somehow say Edge is champion.

I just think they’ve missed that angle on it, and the conchairto is designed to write Edge out for a bit.

You can get around it by saying the Edge wasn’t the aggressor. Same logic in tag matches when a partner breaks a pin, legal opponent is still covering and the shoulders are still on the mat but the count has been broken because the person pinning has been attacked.

or, as is more likely it’ll never be referred to, as well it shouldn’t.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Both Bryan and Edge were counted out for 3, so it’d be shit to somehow say Edge is champion.

This is it. Roman Reigns had them both pinned, so whether Edge or Bryan was on top is immaterial. Maybe they'll use this as a set-up for Edge vs. Reigns - Edge as a heel claiming to be the rightful winner, even though he was unconscious at the time - but they don't need to. 

19 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Now he's the true head of the table does that means he wins Beth and Brie too? Maybe they'll do segments with him going round their houses getting them to acknowledge him as the new daddy.

Fun little tidbit that hasn't been reported - Edge and Heyman pitched for Lita to come back with Edge, with Beth getting mad about it to heel him up. Vince shot it down.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

Night One

The thunderstorm made the start of night one oddly fascinating. I quite enjoyed watching the current lot try and cut promos without scripts. And it was also pretty revealing to see the announce team standing about a foot away from the ring during Bobby vs. Drew and staring at the ground (presumably at their laptops). 

It's a shame they didn't have the 24/7 lot on hand to fill the time.

Bobby vs. Drew didn't really click for me. I think I'd have preferred the Heyman finisher spam special. I can see why they're giving Bobby a longer run but still seems bizarre that they didn't have Drew win. Still, full props for the full Nelson finish which looked great, made sense, and rattled Foley's cage.

I love the Riott Squad but the tag turmoil seemed messy. Doing a Jimmy Snuka tribute is very WWE. 

I quite enjoyed Seth's needlessly over the top WrestleMania entrance not working. I also enjoyed the fact that they built this match around Cesaro doing a spinny thing which felt very holiday camp. Fair fucks to them trying to get this over as a big moment for Cesaro but that just made him look even more of a loser. 

I enjoyed the New Day tag match and the different direction they took with it. I know some people are moaning about the psychology of it but it made sense within the story they were telling. Omos did what was needed. 

The steel cage match was alright. Braun's entrance was great. Maybe Shane had a bit too much of the offence (that's hardly unusual) but for the most part they played up the crafty heel against the blue eyed monster. It was during this anti-bullying match that I was reminded just how uncomfortable the constant hazing of Bryan Saxton is. I suspect it's all part of the show and they're all fine after the cameras are off, but there's a moment of despair after Lawler's B.S. joke that felt all too real.

I don't know how much they paid Bad Bunny for the tag but The Miz deserves just as much. This was probably a career performance for The Miz. Still, Bunny obviously out a lot of work in himself, wasn't afraid to take as much as he gave, and is undoubtedly near the top of all time celebrity wrestlers. My only other thought was that Morrison looks really haggard. 

Belair vs. Banks was an emotional one. There's a sense, as with Baker vs. Rosa, that this took far too long to happen. That said, it was a worthy main event (better than the Ronda triple threat of a few years back) and they delivered. Banks did a surprisingly good job of putting Belair over. 

Night Two:

I'd take a thunderstorm and crap unscripted promos over The Fiend anytime. 

If anything suffered from not being able to do a cinematic match it was Randy vs Fiend. I thought the fans mostly seemed to go along with it until they suddenly cut away from it. Probably because, once again, there was a dark (I guess) cool visual and then fuck all follow up. There is a point where you need to move on from a wrestler and Bray reached that point a long time ago. If he's a nice guy to have around then chuck him in the midcard as a comedy wrestler.

They really gave the women's tag matches quite a bit of time over the 2 shows. I'm not opposed to it, just surprised. I don't remember anything about this except the finish which was alright. 

I feel like Owens vs. Zayn would have been more fun as a gimmick match. Even Logan Paul as the special guest referee would have added some intrigue. As it was, it was fine. Owens doing the Austin tribute act by stunnering a celebrity was a bit silly though.

I don't give a shit about Riddle so happy to see Seamus beat him. Finish was a beauty. As was Seamus saying "fuck it" to trying to to do the top rope spot again. 

All I remember of the Nigerian drum match was Big E's entrance, his spear, and some cane shots. Did some big bloke interefere at the end? 

I like Rhea Ripley and Asuka and enjoyed their match. Glad they had Ripley go over here. I do feel the women suffer from not having a midcard singles belt to go after, because really what's Ripley's next goal after winning the belt at WrestleMania?

The triple theat was brutal. I was oddly relieved to see Roman didn't get a blue eyes reaction. I was also relieved to see Roman retain. 

Overall Thoughts:

There wasn't enough pirate stuff for me. They could have at least added pyro to the cannons and made Samoa Joe and Corey Graves dress up like pirates. Where was the bad sword fight? Shit.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Vamp said:

I like Rhea Ripley and Asuka and enjoyed their match. Glad they had Ripley go over here. I do feel the women suffer from not having a midcard singles belt to go after, because really what's Ripley's next goal after winning the belt at WrestleMania?

A midcard singles belt for the women is the last thing they need. The depth is barely strong enough to sustain two titles and a pair of tag belts without shite like Tamina having to be involved. If they’re not good enough to be challenging for the belts that exist, they shouldn’t be challenging for anything.

• Paid Members

The Sheamus finish is an odd one as presumably either:

A) Increasingly comedic figure Riddle was going to kick out of a White Noise off the top rope.

B) Sheamus decided not to retry the finish and improvise, sparking a conversation along the lines of "Do an Asaisault and I'll kick you in the face in midair." "OK, sounds cool."