Paul Big Show Wight signs with AEW

PowerButchi

7 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

It really is incredible that he's jumped ship, when you think about it. Bar 2007, he's beenĀ on WWE's books since 1999. If it's a long-term deal and he comes out bitter against Vince and company, I wonder how this will effect stuff like a future Hall of Fame induction.Ā 

They've let way worse back into the company to be fair.

10 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

They've let way worse back into the company to be fair.

True enough. I'm just being morbid thinking that Show is a giant and is nearing 50, Vince is in his mid-70s etc...Ā 

I honestly expected him to retire soon and go into the Hall within the next couple of years, but hey. It's not the be-all end-all, obviously.Ā 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I love big show but can't bear watching WWE, so this is good news to my ears. Have they said when he's debuting?

March 15th is the start of his You Tube show as he will be commentating on their 2nd You Tube show AEW Dark: Elevation with Tony Schiavone. I think he may pop up on Dynamite before that though. Tony Khan said he is still licenced as an in ring wrestler as well.Ā Ā 

• Paid Members

Videos like this really highlight what great shape heā€™s managed to get himself into nowadays. He looked fucking terrible back then. All bloated and puffy. In retrospect itā€™s mad no-one took him off TV for his own safety. He looks days away from a heart attack.

I was trying to think what other WWE lifers they could sign that would equally shock me and then my heart sank when I imagined Ziggler coming in.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Supremo said:
I was trying to think what other WWE lifers they could sign that would equally shock me and then my heart sank when I imagined Ziggler coming in.

I've just been thinking the same, but outside of Taker or Orton, is there anyone else that would make the impact? Trish Stratus maybe?Ā 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Mick Foley ladies & gentlemenĀ 

08355A7B-8DFD-44A2-90D7-2E6C4FF0ADA0.jpeg

37C2DF71-D869-4115-9AF7-5CC814D9AC83.jpeg

I've really enjoyed the interactions here - not seen anything negative, and just finding it nice and gently funny. A colleague of hers was finding it hilarious, and she responded with an entirely genuine-seeming 'Who are all these people?', and a few wrestler gifs later with 'well, they all seem very friendly'. All very wholesome, and just fun to see a 60-year-old MP a little baffled at her twitter going wild with wrestling memes. She took it all in good grace. And someone made this meme in 3 minutes, so fair play.

Ā 

Ā 

Also entertained to see a Scottish Tory MP trying to geg in on all the action.

Ā 

19 minutes ago, Supremo said:

This is possibly a little fanciful, but given the way WWE has treated him during his last few appearances, it doesn't seem completely out of the question that John Cena might one day appear in an AEW ring.

He'd cost an absolute fortune, but he would give the company the kind of publicity that no amount of advertising money could buy. Cena has always been willing to talk about WWE while promoting his movies on the talk show circuit, and he always does so with passion. I don't think it makes a great deal ofĀ difference for WWE - people know they exist - but for AEW? That's invaluable stuff.Ā 

I do think John Cena showing up in AEW is a possibility. It's a remote one, but I wouldn't say it's an astronomical one. The landscape today is a lot different to what it was in 1998, or even 2010. WWE hasĀ become a financially infallible theme park monument to itself where it doesn't seem like it really matters anymore who comes or goes. Throughout it all, some of its own biggest performers seem to have become increasingly aware that they're all just bit players in the end. Endlessly rewritable TV characters under dodgy independent contractor terms.

There's that happy to be here strain running through a lot of the young guys, but when you get to the more tenured performers I don't think there's the same hungry markdom for being king of the WWE as there was before. Hogan, Bret, Hart and Austin all probably would have helped Father Figure Vince bury a body or two at one point or another, knowing they'd at least get the better part of a year carrying the company and being its front and centre. These days, the brand is front and centre. You'll never be as big a draw, there's no need for you to be as big a draw and so there's less investment as a result.Ā 

Brock likes the money. Orton is happy doing Call of Duty streams snoring through whatever shite the writers give him. The likes of Batista and Austin flirt with the company and are still canon but will have no problem spending thirty minutes of a podcast ripping to shreds what they're doing with the book.Ā 

If you don't think John Cena the global entertainment brand is capable of showing up on one entertainment show instead of another, you're probably a bigger mark for his connection to WWE thanĀ heĀ is.Ā Ā