Paul Big Show Wight signs with AEW

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I'm actually really looking forward to hearing him on commentary.

He's always come off really well on podcasts, interviews etc, where he's largely just been himself. He's a naturally likeable guy but that's never really translated to his on-screen persona in WWE. AEW seems a lot more relaxed creatively, especially on their YouTube shows, so it seems like it'd be a perfect fit.

• Paid Members

I'm really pleased for him, he'll have undoubtedly got a very handsome contract and they will make him feel valued there. In interviews he's done in recent years, including the Steve Austin one on the WWE Network, he wasn't afraid to say that he thought he'd been booked like shite throughout large parts of his career there. It's a bit too late in the day for him for a proper in-ring resurgence, but it'll be nice to see him wind down his career with a smile on his face.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, MEGABUCKS said:

I reckon Big show would have jumped ship much earlier in his career if there was another mainstream promotion with money on a mainstream TV channel in the last 15 years

How much money? Enough to pay him more than what he was earning in his first deal? Well then, yeah, it’s a bit moot. Half the roster would probably have “jumped ship.” If.

22 hours ago, MEGABUCKS said:

I reckon Big show would have jumped ship much earlier in his career if there was another mainstream promotion with money on a mainstream TV channel in the last 15 years

This. He’d have gone back to WCW at some point had they not gone under. Besides his feud with Brock Lesnar, I don’t think Big Show was ever booked that well in WWE overall and I don’t really think they knew what to do with him most of the time. They could’ve pushed him as an unstoppable badass at the top of the card but hardly did.

Edited by LCJ

Even Big Show's fallen in with the narrative too on multiple occasions that he just wasn't good enough to be booked well upon his debut. It's the usual revisionist rubbish from WWE. It's not like you were handling corrosive material or writing a season of The Wire. Your product's never been hotter, you've just signed The Giant, and people are hot to see him in the top mix. 

It makes even less sense when you consider they put the title on him by the end of the year anyway, and had him be a bit player in the WrestleMania 2000 main event when he hadn't gotten any better. 

• Paid Members

Big Show lost to Stone Cold clean in his first month in the company. He had 3 heel runs and 2 babyface runs in just the first 12 months he was there. He's probably been the most erratically booked wrestler in history. And considering his size, look and personality he should have been one of the easiest to book storylines for.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, LCJ said:

He’d have gone back to WCW at some point had they not gone under.

And Barry Horowitz would have been WWF Champion had he won more matches.

WCW, who lost money for over a year prior to him leaving and went bump two years into his ludicrous ten year contract, might have been a more attractive option if they had not ceased to exist, arrested the flow of red ink and been able to afford to tempt him back with a decent salary? Yeah, maybe. Or perhaps he’d have been ROH champion for a decade and contested international unification matches with Kobashi, Tanahashi and CIMA in front of record breaking crowds. On the moon.

7 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Daniel Bryan and Sami Zayn are both up in the Autumn. Not sure I'd be bothered about Zayn but Bryan would be the absolute dream signing.

While I'd agree that Bryan would be the dream signing, I think they'd have to make a hard play for Sami. He's been one of the highlights of SmackDown in recent times and he's as adaptable as Bryan is, even if he hasn't reached the same heights of success.