Paul Big Show Wight signs with AEW

PowerButchi

It's actually quite crazy to think that Big Show is in AEW now. I reckon he will enjoy AEW more as there's more familiar faces from his era in the current AEW roster than in the current WWE one as guys like Billy Gunn, Jericho, Goldust, Jim Ross, Tazz, Sting are there. Not many guys from his day are left in WWE

• Paid Members

He's bitched about how bad WWE creative is for years in most interviews he's done and blames the constant heel turns and bad booking for not being a bigger star than he believes he should have been. I don't think he's the WWE true believer type like The Undertaker by any means. So while it's a shocker to see him make the jump it also makes a lot of sense.

Call him Paul Wight. Whack him in a suit. Make out like they’ve been forced to sign him by the people at TNT/the Khan’s/whoever, as he’s a recognisable face to take the business mainstream. Fuck it, reinforce a ladder and stick him in the face of the Revolution ladder match.

A couple of months of angry heel Big Show chucking Darby about could be great.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

He's bitched about how bad WWE creative is for years in most interviews he's done and blames the constant heel turns and bad booking for not being a bigger star than he believes he should have been. I don't think he's the WWE true believer type like The Undertaker by any means. So while it's a shocker to see him make the jump it also makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, he reckons he should have been a an "Andre" level star when he did that WWE DVD a few years ago. WWE "blocked him many times" etc.

It goes to show how powerful nostalgia and a hot time period is that his very first year in the WWE is still my favourite. The look, the debut, being a big nasty bastard 'coz his momma said so. 

My preferred mental image of Big Show is still all packed into that first year. Nothing at all from the gazillion years since where he supposedly improved loads, developed that much vaunted 'mean streak' etc. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Yeah, he reckons he should have been a an "Andre" level star when he did that WWE DVD a few years ago. WWE "blocked him many times" etc.

Nobody joining the company in 1999 could have been Andre’s level of star, it’s a lazy comparison by both him and talking heads alike that relate to his size. Andre was on a different planet.

I'm genuinely interested to see how this goes and quite happy for Wight. He always seems like such a nice, funny bloke when you see him do stuff outside of WWE and he clearly has a good mind for the business. 

While he was never going to be an Andre-level, mythical attraction star, he certainly should have been protected more than he was. He suffered from overexposure and poor creative as much as anyone. 

When he's on his game, he's absolutely class. I'm intrigued to see how he'll match up with the AEW roster. There's some truly weird combinations on offer, but I reckon if he turns up in shape and motivated and the matches are laid out to accentuate his strengths, then bouts with Moxley, Page and Omega would be great. 

He'll be great in media as an ambassador, too, and will hopefully be an asset backstage as well. 

It really is incredible that he's jumped ship, when you think about it. Bar 2007, he's been on WWE's books since 1999. If it's a long-term deal and he comes out bitter against Vince and company, I wonder how this will effect stuff like a future Hall of Fame induction.