WWE Network going in the US

Hannibal Scorch

5 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

You've missed my point. If someone who hasn't watched wrestling since the end of WCW jumps onto Peacock one afternoon and a thing pops up saying "relive the Monday night wars" then maybe they will do now it's there at their fingertips. It could even lead them to have a look at some modern stuff. There will be another 20 odd million Peacock subscribers who will soon have access to the WWE network, you have to think there are more than a few lapsed fans among them who might not mind binging some older stuff, even if they think the modern stuff is rubbish. 

Yeah I thought you meant the new programming. Yeah now that those Peacock subscribers have access to all of that wrestling shizzle at no extra cost to them it's a bonus if they are a lapsed fan.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

You have to think there are more than a few lapsed fans among them who might not mind binging some older stuff, even if they think the modern stuff is rubbish. 

You just know that if the network launched as an add-on to Sky or Netflix over here, within a week the most watched shows would be random Papa Shango and Ultimate Warrior matches from 1992.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

WWE's creative team is in for a shock when their brand of 'comedy' is put on the same streaming service as 30 Rock, Parks & Rec and Frasier. The gulf in class will be even more visible.

Then again, the same service also houses Two And A Half Men so standards are already low.

13 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

NBC Peacock is a bloody stupid name.

But it has comedy value. If ratings go up on that platform they can say “You know what drew, Peacock” or they could have an on screen network executive called Drew Peacock. HAHAHA DROOPY COCK! Vince would lap it up

15 hours ago, garynysmon said:

You just know that if the network launched as an add-on to Sky or Netflix over here, within a week the most watched shows would be random Papa Shango and Ultimate Warrior matches from 1992.

During the first lockdown my ex and I binged watched wrestling superstars from 1992. Although I’d seen the ppvs Is never seen the weekly shows and they were so fun!

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

It probably seems less stupid in the US. As it's been their logo for decades, Peacock is effectively NBC's nickname, like the equivalent of Auntie Beeb to the BBC.

Yeah, which is great as that means if CBS did one it'd be called Tiffany.

On 25/01/2021 at 2:40 PM, Chris B said:

That's very much my point. If they think the show looks subpar, especially after one underperforms, they have a financial incentive to try and improve things.

I think uou may be overestimating how much they care about wrestling or know about it. They will have men in suits w no idea what a 'subpar' show looks like, cos to them it'll all be play fighting men in trunks. I may be wrong but TV executives haven't a history of knowing what good or bad wrestling looks like. 

I think Vince will sell his company sooner than later. He's enjoying his last few big deals and I can see him cashing out. Kind of like that promo he did 20 years ago about killing his own creation. I think he's been killing it slowly on purpose but not completly so that their is some value left when its time to sell