WWE Network going in the US

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

@gmoney those shitty Chicago shows are fantastic. Well Fire and PD, I can give or take Med.

It will be interesting to see what happens over here with the network and how long it stays as a stand alone product. I'd guess if they're joining Peacock a lot of the technical issues side and such is no longer in their hands?

• Paid Members

This implies that you can get Peacock in the UK if you pay via PayPal and have a decent VPN: https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/entertainment/peacock-uk-3787591/

However, the cost of a suitable VPN outweighs the savings of getting it for $9.99 vs £9.99 so it's only really worthwhile if you are happy with ads or you particularly want the rest of the NBC content.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, poetofthedeed said:

Is the problem with paying for peacock you need a US credit card? Could you get around it with a prepaid debit card? Got some mates in the states who could sort that out. 

So $4.99 is about £3.59 at the moment. But with actual exchange probably nearer £3.70 ish. I use Surfshark as that’s what I find most reliable. Unless you pay £43 up front for their 24 month plan, your looking at around £4-£9. Then you’ve got to figure out how to pay for it. Pre paid maybe an option, but again it’s a premium.

Even if you can get a slightly cheaper VPN that’s reliable, for the sake of shaving a couple of quid off, is it worth the hassle when at anytime you could get blocked? 

FF60C2B0-09AC-47D4-B643-5AE3A36D4EED.jpeg

I remember signing up for WWE Network before the UK officially got it and recall problems with it being geoblocked at times on certain devices even when I was using a VPN. Not sure if Peacock will have similar problems. If necessary, I’ll just pay the UK price for WWE Network. VPNs are often a faff (and sometimes slow) anyway. I’ll see what happens with my Beverly Hills fake address WWE Network Subscription during the next couple of months I suppose. Guessing WWE will send out emails to subscribers alerting them of the changes(?).

4 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Remember, you're not just getting the Network though, you're getting the football live as well as all the TV and movies.

That’s a fair point. Cheaper than Sky Sports too. If you can manage it with a decent VPN I suppose.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

Now TV are branded Roku sticks. Peacock’s tech is proprietary and was built from scratch. Not the same technology at all. 

I was talking about the streaming technology. Now TV sticks are one way you can get Now TV, but not the only way at all.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Your Fight Site said:

The streaming technology? You mean a HLS stream? Like, 90% of streaming video is HLS. 

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/comment/peacock-the-low-risk-streamer-presenting-significant-results-for-cautious-comcast/

Leaning on UK counterpart Sky – which has been operating its own streaming service Now TV since 2012 – Shell said that NBCU has been able to utilise “Sky’s expertise to have a product that looks good and works really well.” Shell previously confirmed that Peacock’s platform is also drawing on the technology used and developed by Now TV.

I'm not sure why this has been such a controversial statement to the board know-it-alls?>

• Paid Members

It's good for WWE over there as it could get some more eyes on some of their product. Maybe some subscribers who fell out of wresling in the last couplecof years or decades will get some nostalgia for the old attitude era or Monday night wars stuff, or even older. 

Also if TV ratings keep dropping maybe they can stick Raw & Smackdown on there instead of on TV so people can watch it at their convenience. Keep putting it out "live" or even actually live when people are back in arenas, but it goes straight onto the streaming platform. 

2 hours ago, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:

Does anyone on here (UK based) still have their Network account associated to a US address? Not sure if this will affect any login issues, guessing it wont.

Yeah I do. However much $9.99 equates to goes out of my account every month, but the UK version of the network loads wherever I log in (you can tell by the age ratings and NXT being a week behind). I’ll just see what happens when the time comes

Edited by WyattSheepMask

32 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It's good for WWE over there as it could get some more eyes on some of their product. Maybe some subscribers who fell out of wresling in the last couplecof years or decades will get some nostalgia for the old attitude era or Monday night wars stuff, or even older. 

Also if TV ratings keep dropping maybe they can stick Raw & Smackdown on there instead of on TV so people can watch it at their convenience. Keep putting it out "live" or even actually live when people are back in arenas, but it goes straight onto the streaming platform. 

WWE is still easily accessible in the US as Fox is network TV, plus I believe the USA Network is available via their basic cable package over there, a bit like Sky One over here.

Edited by Perry

• Paid Members

You've missed my point. If someone who hasn't watched wrestling since the end of WCW jumps onto Peacock one afternoon and a thing pops up saying "relive the Monday night wars" then maybe they will do now it's there at their fingertips. It could even lead them to have a look at some modern stuff. There will be another 20 odd million Peacock subscribers who will soon have access to the WWE network, you have to think there are more than a few lapsed fans among them who might not mind binging some older stuff, even if they think the modern stuff is rubbish.