Youtube Thread 2000

PowerButchi

Rock n Roll Express v Midnight Express from 1990 - 

Notable for Nick Patrick doing a leapfrog, Cornette taking a perfect back bump, and a run-in by another great NWA tag team.  Almost a perfect tag match.

Twice in this Ricky Morton does that beautiful step up into a headscissors, you never see that move any more for some reason.

Also - Stan Lane here looks EXACTLY like a slightly smaller Lex Luger.

Edited by Loki

On 1/16/2022 at 10:05 AM, Rossman said:

Slowly watching through WCW 1989 at the moment. I'm up to the 1st World Championship Wrestling episode in June and it's the introduction of Scott Hall.

They hype up his debut with this vignette.

What was the story with the “bless her heart” woman at the start of that clip ?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, AshC said:

It's the 30th (!) anniversary of the 1992 Royal Rumble tonight.

What a cast of characters in this - and for all the marbles too!

I wonder how many here were hooked for life by this match...

Was the third VHS I ever got, after a Hogan compilation and Summerslam 92.  Watched the three of them to death as a kid, and absolutely gave me the platform to be hooked for life (especially this Rumble match and the Bulldog match at Summerslam).

• Paid Members

I was down a YouTube rabbit hole the other day, probably trying to find dark matches, when I came across a comment that left me dumbfounded. A guy claiming to be 35 put that he didn’t get the appeal of “old” wrestling, that it just wasn’t as “exciting,” and musing why he should watch Dusty Rhodes do an elbow when he could watch Mick Foley “fall off” the Cell. Sent my train of thought to a bleak place where I wondered if even forums like this might end up populated by a generation that barely hold anything that predates Stone Cold or The Rock in regard, that never go back and watch any Ricky Steamboat, don’t know who made up Strike Force, never experience the fun of watching Virgil get squashed by various monsters, and there’s literally nobody left around that will care about the kind of thing I’m going to post today.

Fans of the early 90s might remember Giant Gonzalez abandoning Harvey Whippleman after he lost to The Undertaker at SummerSlam 93. You might even remember him being in the battle royal to determine the decision match for the Intercontinental title on Raw (won by Razor and The Model). But do any of you remember they put some time and effort into setting up on TV, a feud between Gonzalez and Harvey’s latest acquisition, Adam Bomb? Harv having recently taken over Bombs contract from Johnny Polo. Have a look!

Madness to see Gonzalez coming out in jeans. I wonder if his run had been different if they’d marketed him as just, you know, a bloke who’s a wrestler and he’s SEVEN FOOT SEVEN TALL, how the hell are you going to beat him?? Rather than make him lumber around covered in fake fur. [[Vince voice]] “He’s a GIANT!!! He’s….. A MONSTER!!!”

Fun Harvey fact #1 - this was the second time he inherited a monster from another manager after The Warlord from Slick, after Davey Boy Smith had power slammed The Doctor Of Style clean off TV.

Fun Harvey fact #2 - they’d do the theme again of his former client feuding with his new wrestler in 1994, with the rather less intimidating Kwang. The babyface out for revenge? Adam Bomb.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

I was down a YouTube rabbit hole the other day, probably trying to find dark matches, when I came across a comment that left me dumbfounded. A guy claiming to be 35 put that he didn’t get the appeal of “old” wrestling, that it just wasn’t as “exciting,” and musing why he should watch Dusty Rhodes do an elbow when he could watch Mick Foley “fall off” the Cell. Sent my train of thought to a bleak place where I wondered if even forums like this might end up populated by a generation that barely hold anything that predates Stone Cold or The Rock in regard, that never go back and watch any Ricky Steamboat, don’t know who made up Strike Force, never experience the fun of watching Virgil get squashed by various monsters, and there’s literally nobody left around that will care about the kind of thing I’m going to post today.

That, and beyond. I know "Never Read The Comments" is a rule worth sticking by, but if you ever do, you'll see that pretty much everyone thinks that wrestling's golden age aligns with when they started watching it, or when their fandom was at its peak. If you think it's bad hearing people talk about "old" wrestling in relation to the Attitude Era, wait until you see people who think 2006 was the height of WWE's success.

17 hours ago, air_raid said:

I have a very good friend who falls into this category, started watching in 2000 or so and seems to have little to no interest in anything pre-1998!

Never seen WrestleMania 6, 7, 8, 9, 10... it baffles me, I must say. As someone who started in late 91/early 92 and then worked backwards after.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Was really fucking jealous of a lad in school that had the classic Wrestlemania IV double VHS.

My own fandom started with tapes from Mania VI and a lad I knew at school (latterly my best mate, and still is) has the Mania IV box. He lent it to me in 1996 and I think it’s safe to say it’s mine now. Along with SummerSlam 91/92 and plenty others that he claimed to not watch any more than spent 20 years coming round my house to watch, along with what’s current.

On 1/21/2022 at 8:15 AM, air_raid said:

A guy claiming to be 35 put that he didn’t get the appeal of “old” wrestling, that it just wasn’t as “exciting,” and musing why he should watch Dusty Rhodes do an elbow when he could watch Mick Foley “fall off” the Cell. Sent my train of thought to a bleak place where I wondered if even forums like this might end up populated by a generation that barely hold anything that predates Stone Cold or The Rock in regard, that never go back and watch any Ricky Steamboat, don’t know who made up Strike Force, never experience the fun of watching Virgil get squashed by various monsters, and there’s literally nobody left around that will care about the kind of thing I’m going to post today.

I'm 37 and I don't get this mindset at all. Within the first 5 years of getting into wrestling, I'd sampled WWF stuff from before I was born, devoured all the weekly shows surrounding WrestleMania III, caught up with turn-of-the-decade WCW TV, bought Tagged Classics of 80s and 90s PPVs from SilverVision and watched some old British action on The Wrestling Channel. If someone is only a fan of things like that moment at KotR '98 then they have to ask themselves if they really like wrestling in the first place. 

• Paid Members

How have I never seen this? Probably been posted on here a few times before but it’s escaped me until now.

It’s Vince McMahon as a roving reporter on a maternity ward on the David Letterman show. “We are experiencing, or in anticipation of certainly a deluge of pregnant women…”