AEW Revolution 2021

WeeAl

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, RancidPunx said:

They should have loaded up with smoke bombs, flash paper, released dust/small rubble ,played a sound over the PA in the stadium, done a shake with the hard camera. The ring should have collapsed as a few people have mentioned. 
Show should have gone off the air with no commentary then with the medics rushing in.

Loud bang, flash of light from the ring (somehow), house lights off, smoke, dead air for a good 30 seconds, then either end the broadcast or bring the lights up with a partially-collapsed ring to show the illusion of an explosion.

Saying that it would've done far better in the stadium itself.

Tony Kahn needs to take a leaf out Metallica's book. No, not only selling black t-shirts to blokes in their thirties that don't wash. 5:13 onwards on this video the stage "explodes". Folk in the crowd were so convinced it was real they were ringing in to local radio stations to say there'd been a disaster at the gig.

Lots of little explosions, smoke, the sparkler flashes that AEW used but it's way more convincing with the extras and a big bit of rigging falling over. There's even a dude on fire. It still looks great. Eddie Kingston would have sold this like a boss.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Courtesy of @IANdrewDiceClay’s Twitter.

We need to have a word about Wrestling Fans

They do, at times, do concept art better than the real thing.

(I know that's Kenny's sketch, just play along)

• Paid Members

It really just needed a lot of smoke and sound effects. So many of the big FMW explosion matches, the most powerful visual was of huge clouds of smoke engulfing the ring. As ever, your imagination is more powerful than anything they can show you, so you're left imagining what could possibly be left inside the ring, and when the smoke clears and everyone in the ring is selling it like death, you believe it.

The visual of Kingston running into a cloud of smoke, and then being prone on top of Moxley when it cleared, could have been great.

Even before the explosion, I was cringing at Excalibur saying "landmines" when the explosives outside the ring were visibly just little pyrotechnic gimmicks.

35 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

If FMW could do THIS 25+ years ago then AEW has absolutely no excuse.

Exploding Time Bomb Cage match | Tabletop rpg, Rpg, Wrestling

If they done it on the football field no doubt but no way they could have done that in Dailey's Place, Brayan Alvarez kept blaming it on being dud pyro on his thing the other day which I disafree with theres no way they could do big explosions with the guard rail so close

4 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

If they done it on the football field no doubt but no way they could have done that in Dailey's Place, Brayan Alvarez kept blaming it on being dud pyro on his thing the other day which I disafree with theres no way they could do big explosions with the guard rail so close

Oh yeah it would need to have been done in the stadium.

Odd that, while FMW occasionally had duff explosions attached to the barbed wire strands the big climactic bombs NEVER malfunctioned. I mean, AEW do it one time and they get dud bombs - what are the odds!? ;) 

• Paid Members

I think they were hesitant to do it in the stadium, due to already having a cinematic match and having the largest crowd they've had in a year. 

If that's what they had planned, it's baffling they didn't do more. It's even more baffling they didn't shoot around it better. That's the main reason I think something also went wrong. My assumption is that they were all meant to go off together rather than one at a time, and that would have helped obscure things a bit.

You know what, I re watched the show over the last two nights, and it really is very good until the end - cut the video when the clock hit zero and imagined a big explosion noise, and it was much better. Which is still a problem, but combined with the lowered expectations of knowing what's coming, made for a much more satisfying watch.

Bucks vs Inner Circle was a fine opener, which should've ended 5 minutes before it did (standard for most of the show, and most modern wrestling, but nyeh). Wardlow continues to look the Don smashing fools, then adjusting his cuffs and ignoring the camera. War Council on Wednesday had better not be another Town Hall Meeting rehash - I'm all for putting some gimmicks on promos, but it should be more than just prompted promos on barstools.

Shida vs Ryo was fun but again too long and the knee strike overkill at the end dragged it down. I get that Shida wanted to get a new spinning knee over as the killer, but I'm sure at one point, she actually told Ryo to stop kicking out. Good to have a different opponent on a big show, nicely built by the tourney.

Hands up, I thought Hardy would drag things down with Page, but the two actually had a really, really fun match. Played to Hardy's strengths, Page did some sterling selling, and the ending was brilliant. The pop for the hug was awesome, and I hope that soon we get the Dark Order accepting that Page can be their friend without being in the group.

Ended my first re-watch there. Solidly up on the PPV at that point.

Christian and then Ethan Page being pushed as big deals was the first time it felt like the show was being booked by a bunch of mates. Christian is your stalwart mid-table finisher, but nothing more. I give it two months til he's in a TLC match with Hardy.

Ethan Page. Ugh. Doesn't matter if he's a nice bloke. He's vanilla as fuck, and did nothing here to stand out at all. Just another body. Archer, to be fair, came with his working boots on - every time he got involved, business and excitement picked up. I actually felt bad for Scorpio Sky. The guy's been stuck trying to make the King of Dark sound like it doesn't mean you're second best, after being highlighted in the early days as one of the breakouts. In a match without any heels (because Cody fucking wasn't going to be, was he?), he seemed to draw the shirt straw less than a week before the match, so what should've been a fairly big deal was muted by the crowd not knowing how to react.

Speaking of the crowd, the unnecessary tag team royale gutted the ringside area, and it really affected the atmos for most of the night. The Gunn Club might be annoying as fuck, but they really keep the energy up whooping at ringside all night on Dynamite. Intervals could've done with being a minute instead of a minute and a half, but it was an okay popcorn filler. Jungle Boy continues to get the rub, but Death Triangle were worthy winners, although I swear one day Fenix is going to dive out the ring so fast he'll land in Disneyworld.

The Street Fight was, no word of a lie, absolutely fucking excellent. An absolutely perfect blend of grungy TV camerawork and hardcore wrestling match. The intros with the sports car and the truck, Darby Marty-Mcflying with Sting in the driving seat. Stunts and storytelling. Yes, Cage stalling-suplexing Allin up the stairs to slam him on a bin. Geeky shit like excellent geography and Chekhov's baseball bat. Sting looking the best he has in years (obviously). If Darby really did direct this, then that's fantastic work.

The main event was brilliant until the end. Building each stunt spot, ramping up the psychology of just getting near the barb wire, the order of the rope bumps. On Wednesday, I don't know if Mox needs to make any excuses. He'd been stabbed, whipped, caned, blown up, hit in the face with a barb wire baseball bat that fucking exploded. He's toast, ring explosion or not. It's just a shame they'll have to retcon something.

Like most wrestling, I don't follow promotions; I follow the wrestlers I care about. AEW has done that with enough other wrestlers that a botched main on a big show and two shrug-worthy signings won't break me off. I think it's revealing that for a promotion called All Elite, it's the stuff involving the Elite that has the most problems. Wednesday now has the added intrigue of what happens next, but not in a good way. After so much hype, they objectively blew it with anyone who wasn't their existing audience, I think. We shall see.